Rum! What's good?

timandjennifer

You're much nicer than me. If I'm buying rum in the Bahamas is for me to keep! LOL

As for what kind - I haven't heard what's good from there, but I will probably go with something dark and spiced. :eek:

Looking forward to purchasing some local rum while in Bahamas. Can anyone give me some tips on what rum is good and if you purchased some, what is the average price to pay? I'm thinking this will make some good souvineirs for friends! :) Thank you!

There are several flavored rums, banana, pineapple, coconut etc. Most of the larger store let u test them.

My favorite is Nassau Royale (rum based vanilla liquor).. They don't sell it everywhere.. I think there's a place next to the old straw market that carries it.

Others from Ole Nassau are "Yer Ho", Chick Chilarney

Here's a list of fun rums from the bahamas.. the bacardi store no longer is open .. but you can find them elsewhere.. just ask.

http://www.therumelier.com/id72.html

There are several flavored rums, banana, pineapple, coconut etc. Most of the larger store let u test them.

My favorite is Nassau Royale (rum based vanilla liquor).. They don't sell it everywhere.. I think there's a place next to the old straw market that carries it.

Here's a list of fun rums from the bahamas.. the bacardi store no longer is open .. but you can find them elsewhere.. just ask.

The Nassau Royale sounds good and I would love to try it. Is it also made by Ole Nassau? I didn't see it on the list when I looked on the website you posted.

I don't think you are allowed to bring bottled liquor back to the ship, from what I understand from their rule book, you are only allowed to bring one unopened bottle of liquor with you on embarkation day. Am I correct? If I am allowed, I like to get some Bahamian rum too!

I don't think you are allowed to bring bottled liquor back to the ship, from what I understand from their rule book, you are only allowed to bring one unopened bottle of liquor with you on embarkation day. Am I correct? If I am allowed, I like to get some Bahamian rum too!

You can take 2 quarts back to the ship, but the staff will confiscate it and give it to you when you disembark.

Most ships will NOT allow you to bring it back to your room. Open or unopen.

Of course, if you are flying home from the disembarkment port, you have to pack it in your checked luggage..

If you are returning to the US, there is no limit as to how much you can bring back. Their is a limit of one liter per person over 21 that is allowed duty free, but you can bring back as many as you want as long as it is for personal consumption.

After one liter, you are subject to duty, which I believe is only 3%. In all the years I have been traveling I have brought back dozens of bottles of wine and as many as 10 liters of alcohol and always put it on my declaration page, but never been asked to pay duty. The amount of duty is so small that I don't think they bother, just don't try to sneak it in because they can fine you if you don't declare it.

• 1 month later...

Thank scubagirrl...officially now called rumgirl ;) ....the rumelier link is fantastic, just what I was looking for...I'm buying you a bottle of your favorite (Nassau Royale rum based vanilla liquor) and arrange to have it at the store for you to pick up...my way of thanking you for this and many other informative threads...we will be in Nassau on the 6th of April.

"I'll have what the man on the floor's having! "

Thank scubagirrl...officially now called rumgirl ;) ....the rumelier link is fantastic, just what I was looking for...I'm buying you a bottle of your favorite (Nassau Royale rum based vanilla liquor) and arrange to have it at the store for you to pick up...my way of thanking you for this and many other informative threads...we will be in Nassau on the 6th of April.

"I'll have what the man on the floor's having! "

What a nice thought.. I leave the island for Spring break and easter.. and won't return until April 18/19 or so.. after all the fools are gone and things quiet down.

My boyfriend and I used to run a booze cruise.. we had enough of pouring drunks into taxi's and cleaning up after them.

Is the Bacardi store still open? Is it worth going?

The big Bacardi Store on the corner burned. It's has not reopened.

But there is a new small bacardi store next to where the old straw market used to be.. just a few steps short of Senor frogs.. across from the wharf. They carry all bacardi products.

The big Bacardi Store on the corner burned. It's has not reopened.

But there is a new small bacardi store next to where the old straw market used to be.. just a few steps short of Senor frogs.. across from the wharf. They carry all bacardi products.

Scubagirrl:

Do you know if Bacardi is still considered "Bahamian made" for U.S. import purposes, since they moved all the distilling operations to Puerto Rico? Oh, wait, Puerto Rico is a U.S. possession, so perhaps I've answered my real question, which would be whether I'd owe any duties on it. I guess it would not have any import duties regardless of the number of bottles brought home, since it's a product of the U.S.

Scubagirrl:

Do you know if Bacardi is still considered "Bahamian made" for U.S. import purposes, since they moved all the distilling operations to Puerto Rico? Oh, wait, Puerto Rico is a U.S. possession, so perhaps I've answered my real question, which would be whether I'd owe any duties on it. I guess it would not have any import duties regardless of the number of bottles brought home, since it's a product of the U.S.

I think its still considered bahamian made.. quite a bit of it still has bahamian labeling.. .

Archived