How to deal with guests who don't follow rules...

dishealth11

How to deal with guests who ignore the rules  

296 members have voted

1. 1. How to deal with guests who ignore the rules

• Notify closest crew member
    • Notify ship director
    • Speak directly to guest / remind them of the rules
    • Ignore the person & try to enjoy myself
    • Leave the area
    • Other

I discovered this thread a bit late but I'd like to say that some new posters may post threads about questions that have already been answered because they just don't know about the search feature. Sometimes people who have been using internet boards for a while forget that not everyone has.

Before I started posting I lurked for a long time so I figured out some stuff but when I first started reading here I didn't know anything about using the search feature. The first time I tried to use it I couldn't make it work because of the 'your not subsribed to any forums' message after someone else asked what that meant on another thread I was able to use the feature too.

Some of you younger people are very computer experienced and forget that not everyone is.If someone starts a new thread about something that has been asked before wouldn't it be better to give them the answer at the same time as telling them politely about the search feature for next time.

NJcruiser, I've seen your apology so please don't think this is aimed at you. I've just noticed on this board a few people being rude when being polite and explaining the problem would have worked better.

Since a lot of us older folks have probably paid to put a lot of you younger folks through school while you were picking up those computer skills, maybe you could show us a little patience while we try to catch up.

On the Majesty a man attempted to board the elevator that I was on with a lit cigarette. I politely asked him to extinguish the cigarette while we were in the elevator. He gave me a pained look and told me that he was on vacation and it was his right to smoke. I told him that it was indeed his right to smoke in his cabin, on the decks and pretty much anywhere on the ship except the dining room and the elevator.

I pointed to the no smoking in the elevator sign and again asked the gentleman to please be considerate and that I was not making a value judgement on his choice to smoke, but that I only wished not to share his smoke in an enclosed space like an elevator. He finally put the cigarette out and I said thank you.

I ignore the chair hogs and hordes of kids who monopolize the adults jacuzzi:)

Good for you asking him to put out that cig! I'm a smoker and NEVER smoke where I'm not supposed to; or where I think it will bother other people. There's a reason they don't let you smoke in elevators (well lotsa good reasons!!).

On this poll I voted 'ignore'. For the most part, on all my cruises I have not had any negative experiences with fellow passengers; Carnival was rowdy at night with kids running amuck in the hallways till lord knows what time in the AM but it never really bothered me!:D

NJcruiser, I've seen your apology so please don't think this is aimed at you. I've just noticed on this board a few people being rude when being polite and explaining the problem would have worked better.

No offense taken at all. :) But I agree with you and I was having a stressful day and bam took it out on these boards! :eek: Also agree on the people who were being polite being rude (if that makes sense..LOL). Thanks for your insight.

i know everyone does not agree with the lifestyle and that's fine. I don't let it get to me. I realize there will be those on the ship that will give me and my bf the weird looks

Other people's lifestyles, life choices, or the way they handle their own situations don't affect me much. Trveling with gay couples doensn't get my knickers in a knot......

But that Red Sox fanhing- good lord, man!

:p

I bet i get more looks on the ship for wearing red sox gear! :eek:

I took my daughter to NYC last month, we got lots of Red Sox ribbing from our waiters and waitresses wherever we went. We didnt even wear Red Sox clothes, its the darn accent that gives us away!!

Patty

shoreguy,

i'm pretty sure any new yorker doesn't believe that! :D

pathubia,

I would actually love to go to bermuda from boston on the majesty and do a pre/post stay and see a game. that'd be my dream!

I dont know, thinks could be really heating up around then. Its so funny, last year I thought the Sox mathmatically out of the running in August, and look what happened!!

Did you see Fever Pitch, there is one part when he wont go on vacation during the 1st week of Sept cause the team needs him rooting for them!!!

Patty

I dragged my friend with me to see it sneak preview weekend..I loved it. Especially where he ranks on espn "red sox, sex, breathing" so funny. I still get chills watching clips of them beating the yanks and the winning the world series. :D

I guess beheading is out of the question huh...!!! LOL....:D

I've not cruised yet but as with any other vacation I've taken I just let them pass right on by and ignore it. Why ruin my fun for another's stupidity!!!! That is unless it is harmful to another individual...I definately would speak up if someone was smoking where they ought not to be...someone has to look out for my lungs and any young children around. Or if Joe Cool got too drunk and thought his wife/girlfriend/daughter/mother or whoever was the local boxing champ...

But otherwise....live and let live....I know my book reading in public annoys at least one person....:eek: But he has to live with me so :p to him!!!

• 2 weeks later...
People who are going to let other people bother them to distraction really ought not cruise....go to a nice, quiet, uncrowded, kid free resort instead.

...or, find a "nice, quiet, uncrowded, kid free" cruise line instead.

People who are going to let other people bother them to distraction really ought not cruise....go to a nice, quiet, uncrowded, kid free resort instead.

I missed the part where this turned into another "kids" thread.

lol

-Monte

Yes! It took three pages, but I was hoping this would soon evolve into the "parents shouldn't take their kids cruising"!

Absolutely right! They shouldn't take "their" kids cruising, they should take "my" kids cruising.

-Monte

• 3 weeks later...

But otherwise....live and let live....I know my book reading in public annoys at least one person....:eek: But he has to live with me so :p to him!!!

Yes, those public book readers are very annoying. The silence that usually surrounds them is deafening and it is obvious that they are just reading in public like that as an attempt to mock those of us who are illiterate.

I think anyone who just has to read everyday should be confined to the library or reading room where their abberant behaviour will not spoil my enjoyment of my cruise!

Also by reading like that instead of doing things that generate income like playing bingo or drinking a lot they are probably raising the cost of my cruise. After all the cruiseline has to make money somewhere.

The rudest people on cruise ships are not the kids, but the selfish adults who:

1) smoke in non-smoking areas (especially elevators)

2) save chairs by the pool

3) take several umbrellas and chairs at the private island

4) cut the line at the chocoholic buffet so they can "just get some chocolate covered strawberries" (Oh, so those are the ones who they were put out for)

5) publicly display their over-drinking

Except for crowding into hot tubs, I don't remember a single incident involving a child or teen that even very slightly bothered me.

Some of the parents should be left home (BTW: despite my CC profile, I am a middle-aged person, not a teen).

Archived