Stroller recommendation?

TupeloHoney

We need to buy a new stroller for our upcoming cruise, but I'm having a heck of a time finding one that meets all my criteria. I thought I'd ask for a recommendation here for a stroller you've used that worked well on a cruise.

It's for my daughter who will be 10 months on the cruise.

Ideally I would like:

lightweight

small

big wheels for going over uneven ground

adjustable height handles (dh is tall, I'm not)

You wouldn't think that'd be that hard to find. For our previous cruises we used my nephew's old stroller for our son. But it is now 14 years old and falling apart. I don't think it could survive another plane trip! That one was great though and had all of those things. It was Instep - but they don't make anything like it anymore.

It'd also be nice if my 4 year old could use it too. I can see him getting exhausted, in which case one of us could carry the baby and he could ride. That'd be annoying, but perhaps less annoying than carrying him! He's 43 lbs!

I have been researching some strollers recently too because I do not want to take my big jogging stroller on our cruise in Oct.

My criteria is for it to be less than 12 lbs, 5 strap harness, good reclining seat carrying strap or bag and less than $150. Afterall this will be a stroller we only use on trips.

So far the Combi has a couple of styles that meet my wants...

I have a large Chicco stroller that was part of our travel system, so I definitely don't want to be lugging that around with us. We cruise in June, so I'm looking for a light weight stroller as well. Someone had recommended the Combi to me as well, so I'll be looking at that one. Otherwise, I plan to check Consumer Reports for recommendations. I'll pass along any info I find out!

Christi

My preference for a cruise would be am umbrella-style stroller, but that does not fit your criteria of big wheels for uneven terrain.

I would suggest a Baby Jogger City Mini or a Britax B-Agile (they are very similar). Both are pretty lightweight compared to the ginormous travel system stroller or a jogging stroller. The wheels are larger than a typical umbrella stroller I think, so it'd be a smoother ride. But not by much. We took our City Mini on a cruise with our infant last year and it worked out fine, but I felt like it was just a little too wide going through the hallways and whatnot. This year I purchased an umbrella stroller with a full recline. I'll miss the canopy, but I'll deal.

I don't really know what my budget is. We don't have a stroller for her really. We have the huge one that was part of her travel system (a Chicco), which I really hate. And then we have a $12 umbrella one from Target. So if we could get a good one that would meet our needs I'd be willing to pay a little more. But I'm kind of cheap, so I can't see spending more than $200. A lot less than that would be fabulous!

The big wheels aren't totally necessary so long as you can go over somewhat uneven terrain - not just perfect suburban sidewalks.

My preference for a cruise would be am umbrella-style stroller, but that does not fit your criteria of big wheels for uneven terrain.

I would suggest a Baby Jogger City Mini or a Britax B-Agile (they are very similar). Both are pretty lightweight compared to the ginormous travel system stroller or a jogging stroller. The wheels are larger than a typical umbrella stroller I think, so it'd be a smoother ride. But not by much. We took our City Mini on a cruise with our infant last year and it worked out fine, but I felt like it was just a little too wide going through the hallways and whatnot. This year I purchased an umbrella stroller with a full recline. I'll miss the canopy, but I'll deal.

My everyday stroller is a Baby Jogger City Mini Elite. I LOVE it but it is so wide and doesn't fold up small. What type of umbrella stroller is the one you got that fully reclines? That is what I am wanting but hopefully around the $150 price range.

I have a 2011 Uppababy G-Luxe that I am taking on our cruise at the end of the month. It's a great umbrella stroller. It has a deep recline for napping and diaper changes and a great canopy to keep the sun off little ones. It pushes very smooth. It does a good job on grass and uneven terrain. It's certainly not as smooth as a jogging stroller with air tires, but I don't want to fly with my BOB. It stands when folded so you can put it in the corner of your stateroom out of the way.

I had a Baby Jogger City Mini before my G-Luxe and the City Mini push is not as nice as the G-Luxe. I tried the B-Agile and it isn't as nice as the G-Luxe either.

I have a Britax Blink. It is discontinued, so it was on clearance at albee baby dot com for only $70. The G-Luxe is another great umbrella stroller but was out of my price range. There were some awesome deals on the G-Luxe around Christmas though - I think I saw one for $100 on Amazon? I would have snatched that one up. :)

Archived