Food to try, food to avoid

OP, I agree with those who say, try the things you think you might like, and make your own decisions. If you are in the MDR, main dining room for dinner and find that the item you have ordered is not palatable, tell your server, and they will be happy to bring you something else. I have found this to be the case some times, and while I made a good attempt to finish my plate, I usually only ate half of it. ( I have a mother who has indoctrinated me to not waste food! ). My waiter has almost always asked why I didnt finish, or did I not like it, and when I said it was ok, just not great, he offered to get me something else. I have always declined that offer, and chosen to order dessert instead!:D Im just saying, we cant tell you here what is good and bad. What is good for one is not so for another. The only thing I can warn you about is the "diet pumpkin pie" Do not under any circumstance order this. Other diet desserts are very good, and probably not low in calories, but dont order the Pumpkin pie. Have not ever heard one person here say that it was good. Enjoy your cruise!:)

I died laughing when I read this about the "diet pumpkin pie"! I love, love, LOVE pumpkin pie, but this diet pie was just crazy. I couldn't even tell you what it actually was. I felt like it was some kind of gelatin they might have waved a pumpkin over. It was so weird. I agree, do not, under any circumstances try this dessert.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One of the only things I didn't like, was MEATLOAF! UGHH,,,had a strange flavor, and a strange texture? Certainly NOT like mama used to make.

They take all the leftover meatloaf, blend it to a fine texture, add some gelatin and make diet pumpkin pie.

On our last cruise my husband ordered Alligator Fritters.....I was unsure about them so I did not order them, actually our group of 7 others did not order them as well. When he recieved his order, we all tried a piece and they were excellent, so we all ordered them. This is something I would have never tried but was so happy I did. We leave on 1/30/12 for a "quick" 5 day cruise and I am hoping that they offer the fritters again.... :)

I tried the alligator fritters in October. I wanted to try something different. I agree with you. They were yummy!

The Buttered Popcorn Pot de Creme dessert is so delicious! [ATTACH]308781[/ATTACH]

WHAT is that? Very funny! This is similar to advising people what excursions to take...totally depends on your likes and dislikes. I have not seen the new menus, but I hope they have tiramisu and creme brûlée still. Love the mushroom soup, just like the good stuff at the Pink Hotel. If I had to pick something not to try, it would be the sweet and sour shrimp, mostly breading IMHO, but I guess that's what it's supposed to be. Not bad, just not how I want to eat shrimp. Personally love the Chateubriand, the prime rib, and the fish selections. Also the baked turkey and fried chicken are always tasty. Don't care for any of the pastas. They are ok as an app, but way too much carb for me. Love, love, love the cheese plate with fruit. The spring rolls and sushi apps are great, as is the shrimp cocktail. Order two of those! I can't wait...only 5 more days!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

They take all the leftover meatloaf, blend it to a fine texture, add some gelatin and make diet pumpkin pie.

That's hilarious , my wife had the pumpkin pie a few cruises back it was EWWW and I tried the meatloaf last cruise took one bite looked at her said I have no idea what this is but its NOT meatloaf .

I'm the OP but can't edit my original post, but we will be on the Breeze this time so a few more options for food. Our waiter on the Liberty made fun of the diet food constantly. He also teased (not in a nice way) my daughter the first night for getting chicken nuggets and ketchup for her fries. That being said the chicken nuggets were crap and she never ordered from the kids menu again.

One of the days during the lunch buffet (I don't know if it's on non Caribbean cruises) there is beef pepper pot stew (just really tender beef stew minus the vegetables) and red beans and rice.

Omg it is sooooo good. Especially when you put the stew over the red beans and rice. I wish they served this in the dining room during dinner. Delicious and very flavorful. Something you really don't expect from food from the buffett.

I'm the OP but can't edit my original post, but we will be on the Breeze this time so a few more options for food. Our waiter on the Liberty made fun of the diet food constantly. He also teased (not in a nice way) my daughter the first night for getting chicken nuggets and ketchup for her fries. That being said the chicken nuggets were crap and she never ordered from the kids menu again.

Our small son eats like a bird but loves the gourmet burger. It's huge. I feel so wrong leaving most of that burger on his plate but I have my own meal. Children see this extensive menu and can be immediately overwhelmed. Our boys have the courses down...for a starter they order Caesar salads and spring rolls. That's practically a meal for a child!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

That's hilarious , my wife had the pumpkin pie a few cruises back it was EWWW and I tried the meatloaf last cruise took one bite looked at her said I have no idea what this is but its NOT meatloaf .

Yea, neither of those items are remotely close to their name and aren't edible.

Carnival has some good food but those 2 items my dog would struggle to eat. How do they screw up so bad with those?

How can a Carnival Beard eat either the meatloaf and/or the diet pumpkin pie and not say, My goodness what are we serving, this is horrible and I'm embarrassed, get it off the menu!

Edited by fuddrules

I think my favorite thing is the vegetarian pot pie. It was SO freaking good.

I tried it in December and it was weirdly sweet to me. Just goes to show, different taste buds will have different experiences.

I tried it in December and it was weirdly sweet to me. Just goes to show, different taste buds will have different experiences.

There is the possibility that the food is different at different times.

I have had the bitter and blanc be fabulous, or just dried out a couple times and not worth eating and once with no chocolate and just kind of boring.

I had the crème brule with a totally liquid topping, disappointing.

I have had the chateaubriand both inedible on one trip, and yet glorious on another.

One of the weirdest was eggs benedict made with raisin muffins.

Waiter said that was how people like it.

It was weird, the mustardy hollandaise and the cinnamon in the muffin...

It was the last day of the cruise and I think that they had run out of muffins.

So, if there is something that people ooh and ahh over, perhaps give it another try.

I tried the chocolate melting cake.

Still like eating uncooked brownie batter to me.:rolleyes:

There is the possibility that the food is different at different times.

True enough! The one thing I'll always pass on (and really, I'll eat anything) is Bitter and Blanc. I just really hate white chocolate, but that means there's more for everyone else, right?

I died laughing when I read this about the "diet pumpkin pie"! I love, love, LOVE pumpkin pie, but this diet pie was just crazy. I couldn't even tell you what it actually was. I felt like it was some kind of gelatin they might have waved a pumpkin over. It was so weird. I agree, do not, under any circumstances try this dessert.

Last June we were asked to order a second item if you orded the pumpkin pie, as not many liked it...

I did notice that we have the option of lunch one day as the port is 2pm. The sea days it's just brunch. Will have to check that menu as we never made it to dining room lunch last cruise. I like Eggs Benedict but the cruise one was over greasy and maybe overdone or just sitting under heat lamps or something. May have to try sauce on the side.

Non-dining room:The Guy's burgers (if we don't eat them all the week before you go:D). Blue Iguana breakfast tacos/burritos.

MDR: Vegetarian Lasagna. If they serve the "basa fish" dish, it's excellent. Creme brulee on first night. Same for shrimp cocktail, if you liek shrimp, first night only night served. Bitter n Blanc, Grand Mariner soufle, any of the creamed soups like pumpkin or mushroom.

Avoid the prime rib as it can be fatty or over cooked. Avoid the Southern Fried Chicken because it's not SOUTHERN Fried. Flat iron steak can be hit or miss. Spa cuisine fish dishes tend to be dried out, but other spa course are good. Spa desserts-AREN'T.

Guy's is pretty good but I actually like the fries from there more than the burgers themselves. Never did try the pig patty though, next time I go on a ship with a Guy's I will try one. Blue Iguana is the truth. Made to order burritos, with tons of fillings to choose from. A little bit of a wait but not too bad. Worth it. Of course, the Mongolian wok is probably the best of the three and although it is a long wait most of the time, it is simply the best. Two meats with peas/corn and mei fun with szechuan sauce is the best. Also, fish and chips is OK but most people don't know about it and the fish does tend to be very greasy. Glory has one, not sure about other ships.

The prime rib SUCKS. Have had it multiple times, thinking that the first time was just an aberration and it would be better next time. It was just as bad. Avoid at all costs. Cold, tasteless, and small. Go with St. Louis ribs and/or lobstah when offered. The shrimp cocktail rocks and is offered every night as an appetizer, at least it used to be until recently. Excellent. The fried chicken is nasty. I don't know what parts of the chicken they actually cook or what ingredients they use, but it just ain't that good. At least not when compared to Popeyes, and even Roy Rogers. Get the jerk pork when it is offered, and the brisket/short ribs that are on the menu at least once. Very good, tasteful and tender. Salmon steak isn't bad either, but I do believe that is a "healthy" option.

As far as desserts, go wcmc, cherries jubilee, black forest cake, and fruit plate. A few of these are offered each night. Banana cake isn't bad as a healthy option either but not all that tasty. Of course you can also just get regular ice cream in a dish if you want pretty much any night.

Edited by FlyingCruiserNJ

Yea, neither of those items are remotely close to their name and aren't edible.

Carnival has some good food but those 2 items my dog would struggle to eat. How do they screw up so bad with those?

How can a Carnival Beard eat either the meatloaf and/or the diet pumpkin pie and not say, My goodness what are we serving, this is horrible and I'm embarrassed, get it off the menu!

Still not as bad as what they try to pass off as southern fried chicken, roasted prime rib or even lido buffet pot roast on bad days. And the beards probably don't care. All they care about is that the food was produced as cheaply as possible.

One of the days during the lunch buffet (I don't know if it's on non Caribbean cruises) there is beef pepper pot stew (just really tender beef stew minus the vegetables) and red beans and rice.

Omg it is sooooo good. Especially when you put the stew over the red beans and rice. I wish they served this in the dining room during dinner. Delicious and very flavorful. Something you really don't expect from food from the buffett.

Yes, yes, yes. The island stew and red beans and rice is wonderful but it is only offered one day, Caribbean day and it often falls on a day with a late departure from port so sometimes I miss it because I'm off the ship. Pretty authentic and if you are used to eating real island stuff like that, you can tell what is good and what isn't.

Worst is probably the Italian buffet day on the lido. Terrible "pasta" choices and overall, just bad food choices and quality. I hit the wok or Blue Iguana on those days or just get something from the grill or deli.

I always look forward to escargot... (tried it once on Princess and got hooked)

Also tired frog legs (can take it or leave it).

Do make a point to try at least one thing different. You never know.

Now my family they aren't as daring...

Cathy

Well I look at it both ways...

don't try the warm chocolate melting cake because it's addictive. I will have it every night I eat dessert. No point at looking at the menu. Of course it's my fave item on the menu. So try it or don't. I've warned you. Once you have it, you may never find anything else to satisfy you lol.

Also a fave of mine is the jerk pork loin.

The ribs are delicious too. Sadly, someone thought it smart to serve those on elegant night. :rolleyes: