Wording of Note for One Parent Cruising with Child?

ruready

I will be cruising without my husband, but with my son. I know that my husband needs to sign some note (and I believe it has to be notarized) that basically states that he is okay with our son going with me only.

What exactly should the note say? If anyone has example, that would great --- saves me the work ;)

I don't know what cruise line you are on, but on a RCI cruise we took the grandkids on last year Royal Caribbean had a form we could download. I think our TA sent it to us.

Also, Google something like 'Parental permission forms' and you will get all kinds of documents to print out.

Make sure there is section stating that you can get appropriate medical care for the child if necessary--though since you are the parent, not grandparent or friend, that may not be necessary.

I'm glad you are getting it taken care of. They might not even ask for it, but if they do and you don't have one you might not get on the ship.

I know it's different as we were grandparents with seven grandchildren and no parents along, but believe me, RCI spent a lot of time scrutinizing the 7 notarized letters, matching them with the kids and asking the kids questions.

And the forms were not easy to get, for a couple of hard-to-find deadbeat type parents.

Kind of funny, as I have visions of us (or anyone) using a cruise to abduct 7 kids at once! Yikes.

I just cruised Carnival with my daughter alone (without my husband). We have different last names due to the fact I never legally changed mine. I had no problem taking her on the ship and no one asked for a note. I didn't even think of it. I can see maybe if we were cruising a transatlantic or something where we didn't end at the same port.

I just cruised Carnival with my daughter alone (without my husband). We have different last names due to the fact I never legally changed mine. I had no problem taking her on the ship and no one asked for a note. I didn't even think of it. I can see maybe if we were cruising a transatlantic or something where we didn't end at the same port.

Many people report the same thing; they are not even asked.

But, once in a while someone does run into trouble and has been denied boarding due to no letter. To me, it's not worth risking a whole vacation when (if) it's relatively simple to print off a form and have it signed and notarized.

I agree that it is kind of a silly thing, since the number of people who would choose to abduct a child by going on a cruise has to be almost non-existent. But you never know just when a cruise line (or immigration) will suddenly get picky about this.

Archived