Snorkeling Spots Accessible from Shore

krdougan

I have heard about a lot of great snorkeling spots in Grand Cayman that is accessible from the shore. I have even heard there are some with shipwrecks.

My family and I will be in Grand Cayman and my kids really just want to do some snorkeling. We don't need to do Sting Ray City again. Can anyone point out some good spots we could get to from the shore?

Thanks!

I would also like to know good spots that are accessible from 7 mile beach. We have a large group who wants to to to 7 mile, but some of us also want to snorkel.

krdougan,

We went to Smiths Cove to snorkel last time we were on GC. It is a great spot and not too far south of town. Just be sure to make arrangements with a taxi to come and pick you up.

I have attached some pictures of Smiths Cove

IMG_0906.jpg.1c0914162d154ba24942e6406917a84d.jpg

IMG_0908.jpg.4a0f52125f0565823a5ca8727e92f72f.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg.863d698164ab370c5fa61e991eff1d03.jpg

After reading several threads for over a year now, this is what I have learned.

The best snorkeling from shore can be found at:

Smith's Cove

Cemetary Beach

Eden Rock

Of these, Eden rock is the only one with a rocky shore area to begin with. The rest have sand entrances. Cemetary has no facilities, nor does Smith's (I believe, but not 100% on SC.) ER is a dive shop, has facilities, rental gear, and lockers. ER is the closest to port and could be walked to. SC you will need a taxi--but perhaps a bus will take you there (I didn't research SC as much...can you tell? ;)) CB you can take a public bus to get there and back.

If you'd like to see pictures, just google image the three places and you can't go wrong.

If there are others, than I am unaware. I do remember reading about one by a hotel/resort, but I can't remember where. We snorkeled by Rum Point, and didn't see much as there wasn't alot of coral in the location we went.

Either way, have fun!

For facilities, Smith Cove Bacadere does have a bathroom, picnic tables and a rinse shower.

As for the "best" snorkeling (not taking into consideration beach, amenities, etc...) "close" to the tender area, my preferences lend me to rank them as follows:

1) Eden Rock/Devils Grotto

Pros: the best due to amount of fish, enormous ridges of coral and overall size of the snorkeling area.

Cons: A bit deep, so not easy to get close to the action and can get crowded with fellow cruisers.

2) Cheeseburger Reef

Pros: Similar experience to Eden Rock, but usually less crowded.

Cons: Water clarity can suffer at times and there is literally debris strewn on the sea floor in areas.

3) Cemetery Beach

Pros: Usually the best conditions, decent amount of friendly fish (please do not feed as that as why they are friendly).

Cons: Living coral is pretty far from shore and in deep water.

4) Smith Cove Bacadere

Pros: Live Elkhorn Coral just off shore

Cons: Small area for interesting snorkeling and fish counts can wax and wane. The main reef is a few hundred yards off shore and subject to swells.

Not close to port, but Rum Point has by far the best snorkeling if you head to the Boulder Coral Gardens or out to the Barrier Reef. Only recommended for the expereienced snorkeler. Not much to see off the sandy beach or around the pier.

Just my $.02.

After reading several threads for over a year now, this is what I have learned.

The best snorkeling from shore can be found at:

Smith's Cove

Cemetary Beach

Eden Rock

Of these, Eden rock is the only one with a rocky shore area to begin with. The rest have sand entrances. Cemetary has no facilities, nor does Smith's (I believe, but not 100% on SC.) ER is a dive shop, has facilities, rental gear, and lockers. ER is the closest to port and could be walked to. SC you will need a taxi--but perhaps a bus will take you there (I didn't research SC as much...can you tell? ;)) CB you can take a public bus to get there and back.

If you'd like to see pictures, just google image the three places and you can't go wrong.

If there are others, than I am unaware. I do remember reading about one by a hotel/resort, but I can't remember where. We snorkeled by Rum Point, and didn't see much as there wasn't alot of coral in the location we went.

Either way, have fun!

Probably Sunset Beach House Resort. A good reef is an easy swim offshore.

Archived