Cruise Critic Reviews

ackieboy

Hi!

First, I wanted to wish everyone a happy and healthy new year! The reason for my post is to address what I see as a disturbing trend not only on the Celebrity board but in general on Cruise Critic. In their reviews, some people seem very quick complain about the age of their fellow cruisers and the overabundance of wheelchairs, scooters and walkers onboard. I am only in my mid 40's, but I am mobility impaired and while I consider myself lucky enough not to have to rely on a wheelchair or scooter, I applaud the cruise lines for finally waking up and realizing that the physically challenged market represents a potentially large pool of perspective passengers, who up until a few years ago, might have had great difficulty considering a cruise vacation without the kind of accessibility improvements which have been made.

All I am saying is this. Travel should and can be the great equalizer. It provides opportunities for people of all ability levels to get out there and see the world, whether by plane, train or cruiseship or automobile. So in this spirit, I hope that the next time any one of us has to step aside to make room for a wheelchair to pass or wait a bit longer for the elevator, that we remember that any one of us could end up having a mobility issue at some point in our lives. Let this be the year that we stop complaining about such things and realize how lucky each and every one of us is to be able to travel and enjoy the delights of cruising, whether on Celebrity or another line.

Thanks for giving me the chance to rant. Wishing everyone a great year filled with calm seas and happy cruising!!!

Regards,

Dean

Thank you Dean for your very valid comments (certainly not a rant). Those of us who are mobile should be more aware of the limitations of others. I think some of the comments were directed to pushy, complaining those in their scooters, not those who legitimately need assistance.

Dean,

Thank you for starting this thread. There are mobility impaired passengers on most cruises. In addition there are many passengers with less visible disabilities.

Where ever we go, I am inspired by the courage of others who go forward in having good times inspite of callous comments made by those who don't understand.

Those making condescending remarks about others are disabled too.

I assume your coping strategies include the skill to understand and overlook the callous remarks made by some.

Doesn't it appear that the population has a majority of those who understand and are helpful?

My post is to keep your thread on page one of this board so that you can educate via this thread.

Marisela

Archived