Formal Nights

Podie

Four of us will be on MSC Orchestra in the Med in April 2012. Since my husband is a notorious overpacker, he has always rented a tux on Carnival and Celebrity rather than pack a suit. Since renting a tux doesn't seem to be an option on MSC, what is the least amount of formal he can get away with and not feel embarrassed? He says he'll wear dress pants and a nice shirt or sweather, but no tie or jacket. What do you think?:eek:

We just returned from a 10 day Med cruise with MSC, and I'm glad my husband and son did not bother to pack their tuxes. I don't think we saw more than a handful on the first formal night, and the second one seemed even more laid back. We did see some formalwear on an "informal night," which surprised us. It was New Year's Eve, so we decided that people must dress up more for that in Europe than we Americans do.

Before we left, I read the CruiseCritic guide to dress codes for the various cruise lines, and they were correct in advising that MSC is less dressy than other lines. My guys were fine in dark suits and ties, and my daughter and I were fine in pretty, but not formal, dresses both nights. I had read that MSC "enforces" their dress code, but that was not our experience. We saw plenty of people in jeans on the informal nights (specifically requesting that we not wear jeans), and on the second formal night I even saw a man wearing jeans and a polo shirt.

My advice is definitely to leave the tux at home, but pack one suit and a nice pair of pants. If your husband really hates jackets, remind him he can always wear it walking in to the restaurant, then hang it on the chair. :)

Four of us will be on MSC Orchestra in the Med in April 2012. Since my husband is a notorious overpacker, he has always rented a tux on Carnival and Celebrity rather than pack a suit. Since renting a tux doesn't seem to be an option on MSC, what is the least amount of formal he can get away with and not feel embarrassed? He says he'll wear dress pants and a nice shirt or sweather, but no tie or jacket. What do you think?:eek:

Not sure about in the Med but on both our MSC cruises in the Caribbean, a sweater or shirt with no tie or jacket would be under-dressed.

Not sure why if he is an overpacker he can't fit in a tie? Especially if you are worried about embarrassment.

This topic gets asked and answered constantly on the forum.

First of all, the length of the cruise determines how many formal (or gala) evenings there will be: 7 days - 2 galas; 8-15 days - 3 galas; over 15 - 4 galas. MSC has three categories in their recommended dress code: casual, informal, and gala. Jeans are perfectly acceptable for casual evenings, while dress pants and a nice shirt or even a sport coat are fine for the informals. Gala evenings it's best to wear suit and tie. Tuxedos are absolutely not required and tux wearers will be very few.

On summer Med or tropical itineraries light colors will more often be seen while winter or cold weather cruises bring out the dark clothes, dark suits, etc. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure about in the Med but I did shirt and tie for formal nights in the caribbean and didn't feel out of place as many of the men had taken their jackets off (if they wore one) once seated.

As for being embarrased that depends on him - will he look out of place while waiting in line to go into to dinner - probably but once seated who really cares what people are wearing?

I think he might feel more comfortable knowing what the other male tablemate (if there is one in your party) will be wearing and try to fit in with them rather that giving a hoot what some stranger at the next table or across the room is wearing.

Thanks for your replies. To clarify, my husband is such an overpacker that he said he will need another carry-on suitcase if I insist he wear a suit and/or jacket. I even offered to buy him a suit in Italy since we'll be there for weeks prior to the cruise. (This is my "go to" plan if I have to)

My son-in-law (who lives in Italy) is planning to wear a sport jacket and tie so I'm hoping he'll talk my husband into shopping for his outfit after we're in Italy. The important thing to me is, now I know what is most commonly worn. And no, HE won't be embarrassed if he's underdressed - but I will be.

I bring one carry-on bag when we visit Italy for a month, yet he brings a 30" checked suitcase and the largest carry-on he can get away with. I have no idea why he can't pack a suit!:confused:

I have no idea why he can't pack a suit!:confused:

Trying to figure out men sometimes is well......

There were lots of men without jackets but most still did shirt and tie.

My experience is that if he wants to do just a shirt, no tie (well pants too;)) the classiest look is a black shirt. Seen a few men pull this off well.

Enjoy your trip.

Archived