Help with San Juan Pre- Cruise Plans...

Beachgirlohio

This is our first cruise and so we are going to do 2 nights in San Juan prior as we are used to beach vacations so wanted to get the best of both worlds. Can you please critique my itinerary???

Arrive on Thursday around 2pm...

Take cab to La Concha Resort

Lunch at Solera near Pool

Swim and relax

Take Cab over to El San Juan for pre-dinner drinks and then have dinner at Koco.- Not sure about this restaurant b/c there are not many reviews. Any thoughts on that???

Friday-

Wake up and have a small breakfast

Relax and Swim

Lunch: Looking for somewhere within walking distance of the hotel. Does anyone have a list of places? Thought we would eat lunch and maybe shop a bit. I heard there are some shops right in the area?

Dinner: Was planning on going in to OSJ a bit early and being dropped off near the horse/carriages so that we could take a tour pre-dinner. We have dinner reservations at Marmalade. Could the carriage take us to dinner and then we could take a cab back? I have absolutely no idea the distance between these 2 places. I don't see where you can make reservations for the carriage tour. Where do I instruct cab to let us off for this?

Saturday-

Get packed and have Hotel hold our luggage. Take cab into OSJ. We are hoping to get Flavors of San Juan to do a private lunch tour from 11-1pm and when finished, we will go pick up luggage and head to the ship. If by chance, I cannot get this arranged, thinking of doing the walking tour for dinner on Thursday night?

Am I missing anything???? Thank you so much for your help!!!:)

This is our first cruise and so we are going to do 2 nights in San Juan prior as we are used to beach vacations so wanted to get the best of both worlds. Can you please critique my itinerary???

Arrive on Thursday around 2pm...

Take cab to La Concha Resort

Lunch at Solera near Pool

Swim and relax

Take Cab over to El San Juan for pre-dinner drinks and then have dinner at Koco.- Not sure about this restaurant b/c there are not many reviews. Any thoughts on that???

Friday-

Wake up and have a small breakfast

Relax and Swim

Lunch: Looking for somewhere within walking distance of the hotel. Does anyone have a list of places? Thought we would eat lunch and maybe shop a bit. I heard there are some shops right in the area?

Dinner: Was planning on going in to OSJ a bit early and being dropped off near the horse/carriages so that we could take a tour pre-dinner. We have dinner reservations at Marmalade. Could the carriage take us to dinner and then we could take a cab back? I have absolutely no idea the distance between these 2 places. I don't see where you can make reservations for the carriage tour. Where do I instruct cab to let us off for this?

Saturday-

Get packed and have Hotel hold our luggage. Take cab into OSJ. We are hoping to get Flavors of San Juan to do a private lunch tour from 11-1pm and when finished, we will go pick up luggage and head to the ship. If by chance, I cannot get this arranged, thinking of doing the walking tour for dinner on Thursday night?

Am I missing anything???? Thank you so much for your help!!!:)

What are the dates you are going to be there?

Don't forget a stop to buy wine (if you are going on Carnival or Princess) and water and soda. I always pick up some individually wrapped granola bar things that won't melt for when we are out and about on the islands. A walking tour of OSJ is great. Start at the top at the fort and work your way down towards the left. You will find the gates in the great wall. Don't miss the cathedral as it is breathtaking. I am not Catholic and I loved it. Ponce De Leon is interred there. There is a piazza with a beautiful fountain at the bottom. There are often street vendors along the connecting streets with interesting noshes and craft goods. There is a park with tons of pigeons that you can find lots of local color. Pace yourself...you will have lots of oportunities to buy things on your cruise. First timers often regret the extra volume and weight at the airport! Another pleasant day trip is the rain forrest. It is located in the mountains about 40 minutes away from SJ. many of the hotels run the trip and you also get to "sightsee" along the way.. You will not see OSJ as it is in the opposite direction. Whatever you do..enjoy! The local people are fabulous and are very proud of the island. It is a great way to begin your cruise!

Don't forget a stop to buy wine (if you are going on Carnival or Princess) and water and soda. I always pick up some individually wrapped granola bar things that won't melt for when we are out and about on the islands. A walking tour of OSJ is great. Start at the top at the fort and work your way down towards the left. You will find the gates in the great wall. Don't miss the cathedral as it is breathtaking. I am not Catholic and I loved it. Ponce De Leon is interred there. There is a piazza with a beautiful fountain at the bottom. There are often street vendors along the connecting streets with interesting noshes and craft goods. There is a park with tons of pigeons that you can find lots of local color. Pace yourself...you will have lots of oportunities to buy things on your cruise. First timers often regret the extra volume and weight at the airport! Another pleasant day trip is the rain forrest. It is located in the mountains about 40 minutes away from SJ. many of the hotels run the trip and you also get to "sightsee" along the way.. You will not see OSJ as it is in the opposite direction. Whatever you do..enjoy! The local people are fabulous and are very proud of the island. It is a great way to begin your cruise!
What smilz said about OSJ. :) It is breathtaking. If you go into OSJ, go in the morning and find La Bombanera for breakfast. It is a local diner/pastry shop that serves nice breakfasts with their Puerto Rican coffee - and try a pastry (or two). I can't remember what street but it's relatively close to the Sheraton (about 1 block up and 1 over). Now I can't wait for our halloween cruise that seems so far away.

Joe

Archived