Thumb Drive, Jump Drive, Flash Drive, using on the Dream

JACKWC

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Dream in May (See Roll Call) and we were wondering whether or not there are computers on board for use other than the Internet. We would like to upload digital pictures from our camera's memory to a thumb drive, should the need arises.

Any thoughts on this? I know we will have might access to Internet Cafe computers in some ports, but it would be more convenient to do it while on board.

My wife and I are scheduled to sail on the Dream in May (See Roll Call) and we were wondering whether or not there are computers on board for use other than the Internet. We would like to upload digital pictures from our camera's memory to a thumb drive, should the need arises.

Any thoughts on this? I know we will have might access to Internet Cafe computers in some ports, but it would be more convenient to do it while on board.

It would probably be cheaper to buy more memory than to buy internet time to copy photos. You can get 1GB of flash memory for ~60USD.

Thanks for the responses. I found a better solution on this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=154651

It may be a bit pricey, but very versatile :)

I use an Image Tank portable storage device. It's about the size of an old Walkman cassette player. It has slots for Compact Flash and Smart Media cards and has a 20 GB hard drive. I take it with me on any major trip. It's great to just copy my camera's card onto the HD and reuse the card. I didn't mention this earlier because it's not a cheap solution. My Image Tank cost under $200 about 3 years ago. Its biggest deficiency is that it doesn't have a viewing screen to preview photos.

If you're leaning towards a portable storage device, Epson has a new one out that I think is superior to the iPod Photo. Check out the Epson P-2000 digital media storage unit.

Thanks for the responses. I found a better solution on this thread - http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=154651

It may be a bit pricey, but very versatile :)

Are you buying a Roadstor? Yes, at today's prices it's overpriced. For 200.00, you can buy 3GB+ worth of flash memory, and for most people that is more than enough.

Or you could get a ImageTank as someone else suggested... Another possiblity is the Archos AV430, it's a Personal Video Player with a Flash card slot. Not only does it copy files, it can play mp3s and videos too!

Thank you to everyone and all the great advice you posted. After researching all the different equipment available and reading the posts in "Photo Gallery", we decided to go with the Addonics AEMFR888D. I was especially impressed with Steves Digicam review of the early Addronics MFR. IT seemed to offer all the features that would work for our family, not only during this cruise, but in home applications as well. It also comes bundled with neat software. Nothing extra to buy, except a cruise to Alaska to try it out on.:)

Archived