Back from nieuw amsterdam 1/2 sailing

josie724

Thank you all....we both wore the patch, and I was using ginger root when I felt woozie, but it seemed to have gotten worse before it got better, so I don't know if it was the motion of the ocean or a bug. It was a really weird kind of sickness, it would come and go. We would go from feeling extremely hungry to so nauseated that just the site of food made us sick. We've both been slowly getting better, but it comes and goes.

The weird thing is that we were more seasick on land than on the sea.

The side effects of the scopolamine patch may be part of the problem. Check with your doctor and the drug label to see if anything you have been feeling sounds right. http://www.rxlist.com/transderm-scop-drug/side-effects-interactions.htm Some of us who have played around with the various remedies have found just the OTC Bonine plus ginger daily, starting the Bonine 24 hours ahead of time works well enough.

But if you know you have a bigger problem that requires the patch, this is not something you would want to experiment work to "see" if it works and sadly find out you needed something stronger after all. 85% of all our cruise days have been smooth and placid. But we have had enough of them to know this can be a real detriment to contemplating the next one.

Withdrawal &Postmarketing and Other Experience: (From rxlist.com)

In addition to the adverse experiences reported during clinical testing of Transderm Scop (scopolamine) , the following are spontaneously reported adverse events from postmarketing experience. Because the reports cite events reported spontaneously from worldwide postmarketing experience, frequency of events and the role of Transderm Scop (scopolamine) in their causation cannot be reliably determined: acute angle-closure (narrow-angle) glaucoma; confusion; difficulty urinating; dry, itchy, or conjunctival injection of eyes; restlessness; hallucinations; memory disturbances; rashes and erythema; and transient changes in heart rate.

Drug Withdrawal/Post-Removal Symptoms: Symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and headache occur following abrupt discontinuation of antimuscarinics. Similar symptoms, including disturbances of equilibrium, have been reported in some patients following discontinuation of use of the Transderm Scop (scopolamine) system. These symptoms usually do not appear until 24 hours or more after the patch has been removed. Some symptoms may be related to adaptation from a motion environment to a motion-free environment. More serious symptoms including muscle weakness, bradycardia and hypotension may occur following discontinuation of Transderm Scop.

Swiss, thank you so much for that information. I had no idea.....this explains A LOT!

It will be good to discuss this more fully with your doctor who gave you this prescription. There can be drug interaction complications as well for future consideration if you try the patch again.

Thank you for your review.

I am curious as to why you say that the Nieuw Amsterdam is a mid-size ship? Are you coming this to other cruise lines? The Nieuw Amsterdam is HAL's largest ship.

Glad you had a great time.

Just came across this on the HAL site, so I guess even HAL considers the NA a mid sized ship.

"With innovative design and guest offerings, Nieuw Amsterdam IV continues the proud tradition of her name and evolution of Holland America Line's sophisticated mid-sized ships."

Archived