Tampa/Ybor restaurant

cruising grandma

Kay,

The Columbia is the oldest and most famous restaurant in Ybor. It's moderately priced.

Ybor is a lot of fun so my suggestion would be to go early and have a stroll down 7th Ave (the main street) and have a drink at one of the many bars there and/or stroll after dinner and have a dessert or after dinner drink someplace.

If you have another night in Tampa, have dinner at Berns Steak House. It's Tampa's other most famous restaurant. They also have a smaller more gourmet restaurant right next door called Berns Side Car, which I like very much.

Jane

Thanks, tadjr and Jane. I've read all about the restaurant, and flamenco dancers, and the 100 year tour. We only have one night precruise tomorrow, and are doing a b2b to Norfolk on the Horizon. We're staying at the Wyndham Harbour Island, and hopefully will be safe to ride the trolleys to and from Ybor late night.

We'll have to do Bern's another trip! We haven't been to Tampa since our "kids(now 30 and 32 years)" were small. We went several times then----to Adventure Island and Busch Gardens----Lots of great memories! Camped by the parks a couple of times. They still reminisce about the fun we had. Too bad it seems from what I've read about that area, that it has gone down.

I'll report back Re: the Columbia when we get home.

Have fun on the cruise. I've done the Horizon twice (San Juan to Tampa and a Tampa rt) and enjoyed them both. You shouldnt have any problem on the trolley from the Wyndham to Ybor. It runs along Channelside and the port area right into the main Ybor area. Have a fun time and enjoy your meal.

• 3 weeks later...

As promised, I'm writing about the Columbia Restaurant. We stayed at the Wyndham Harbour, and only had a short walk to the trolley line. We rode the trolley to Ybor City, and walked over several blocks to Columbia Restaurant. The food, service and atmoshere were excellent!! They also had a flamenco dance show after dinner. We had called that morning for reservations. If you are a AAA member, the $6 charge for the flamenco show per person is waived up to 4 people. I would have enjoyed walking around more if we had had more time to spend in Ybor City. Maybe another time.

Archived