Kicking off the New Year on the GEM - Long Review

scfa99

Great pictures, the Gem is truly a beautiful ship! How did you enjoy New Years on the Gem? We were aboard her Dec. 2009/Jan. 2010 and found the Gem the place to be on New Years!

We boarded on New Years day so not sure how New Years eve on the ship was. Everyone welcomed us with a happy new year and they still had signs up. I'm sure it was a good party because someone forgot their dancing shoes, see pic below.

i-53s7mFX-XL.jpg

Do they list who will be playing in the lounges/bars each day in the daily flyer? What night and where was the Beatles show?

Yep they list who is playing and in which venue every night in the freestyle daily. I'm not sure what night the Beatles show was I just remember we had a conflict with something else and couldn't make. I did hear people saying it was really good.

Great review, loved your pictures. We sailed on the Gem for the first time last January, 10 day eastern caribbean without our kids and are now going this summer with them. Same itinerary as your cruise. We also love the Gem! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Thanks - found Nadeen on hypnosisqueen. com but no calendar. Looks interesting - hope she's still on next week!

We had a Beatles tribute band on Epic and they were excellent - that was their shtick and they assumed the character of each Beatle. Never get tired of listening to the Beatles' greats.

Don't think we've ever really hung out at Malting's but sounds like on the Gem it's the place to be!:)

Thanks for a great review of your trip. Your pictures are amazing! Well done!

We were on the Gem in Sept. and loved the crew under Capt. Roger as much as you did. They are a wonderful group.

Also had Olivia as our server a few times in the MDR. Again, I agree with you - she is an asset to NCL. We did not have her every night, but she still never failed to greet us by name and stop by to say hello when she saw us. We will be on the Gem in 2 weeks and will definitely be looking for her!

I am disappointed we most likely will not be seeing Sinan. We enjoyed his enthusiasm and dedication to his job! I wish him a speedy recovery.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write a review and upload those awesome pictures!

Glad you liked Olivia too, she should be in the Grand Pacific every night and if you see her tell her Matt & Michelle really miss her.

Regarding Sinan, he might be back by your sailing. When I spoke to him he never mentioned his knee injury rather he was excited that he will have his family joining him for the 2 longer caribbean cruises and its the first time his daughter's will see him in action. I didn't even know his knee was hurt until after the cruise, it never slowed him down.

Absolutely stunning pictures! Certainly heightened our anticipation for our upcoming cruise on the Gem! Thank you!

Bluwaterz, thank you and I'm glad my review did that for you. That was my intent! I know leading up to our cruise there was a 2-3 week lull of reviews/information on the GEM and I was starving for info. So I'm very happy to provide some and pay the CC community back for all the information I've gleaned over the years. Have a great cuise.

Do you know if in the mdr they have kids menu. Your 8 years old son always eat on the adult menu ?

Yes both MDR's have a children's menu if they want to eat from it, or they have the option to eat off the adult menu. I'm pretty sure the speciality restuarants also have children's menus and if they choose to eat from them they are not charged the fee for the speciality restaurant, otherwise they are half price when eating off the adult menu.

• 3 weeks later...

What a great review, very detailed and informative. I had read it on the members spot, so I was blown away when I saw it here with PICTURES!! They add so much, thank you for taking the time to add them!

We just booked the Gem, and your photos and review have us very excited! Did anyone in your group visit the rock wall?

What a great review, very detailed and informative. I had read it on the members spot, so I was blown away when I saw it here with PICTURES!! They add so much, thank you for taking the time to add them!

We just booked the Gem, and your photos and review have us very excited! Did anyone in your group visit the rock wall?

Unfortunately we didn't get a chance to climb the rock wall, just too much to do. Have a great time on the GEM, she's our favorite ship and crew.

LOVED your review and especially your pictures. May have to steal a couple also.

We were on the Gem the week before you. Totally agree on Sinan - at first I thought he would be so annoying all week - he was WONDERFUL - how can he have that much energy?

As for the officers greeting the returning passengers in Nassau - it must be a weekly routine. I was impressed by this also. NCL - if you are reading this - it is the little things like this that mean so much to your loyal passengers. What a nice touch. The officers were so accessible, seen a lot throughout the week and always friendly and eager to get to know the passengers personally.

The Gem is an awesome ship. Thanks so much for the review.

Fantastic review and pictures! I'm taking my great-nieces (10 and 8) on the Gem August, 2013. I've never sailed on her so your post makes me feel really good about choosing this as their first ever cruise! I will be in an aft suite...and I'm usually in a forward suite. We will be on deck 10 so with what you said about the noise from above, I'm glad I chose deck 10.

Again, thanks for posting the pictures. The girls are now more excited than ever........:cool:

My first encounter with Sinan was when he was bingo boy on the jewel. I must say he annoyed me as well But once I was able to talk to him one on one I realized he is just a really nice guy just trying to make everyone on the ship enjoy themselves.

Last two times I sailed he was the CD and I enjoyed his stupid jokes, his little off key songs and his really pleasant attitude

Good Job with that! We were on the Gem on it's last sail of the season to Bermuda (10/30 to 11/6) Sinan was on Vacation but we had Johnny Sanchez,..and Capt. Roger is very Engaging. This was just after the first of their 2 sea rescues....

If you went to see the "Mermaid" (Robbie) in the Bridge Viewing room (11 fwd)

You saw the "Medal" I presented to Capt. Roger (U.S. Navy Commendation Medal) In honor of their commitment to the Gem's Pax. It's a mini replica of the one My Uncle Received In WWII( you can see a Pic of it in the Roll Call section)

Bill(Dr.Football)

("Energetically will I meet the Enemies of my country. I shall defeat them on the field of battle for I am better trained and will fight with all my might.")

Line 5 of the U.S. Army Ranger Creed....

Bill's Brainiac Random Quote Generator V0.95 final beta for Mac

Fantastic review and pictures! I'm taking my great-nieces (10 and 8) on the Gem August, 2013. I've never sailed on her so your post makes me feel really good about choosing this as their first ever cruise! I will be in an aft suite...and I'm usually in a forward suite. We will be on deck 10 so with what you said about the noise from above, I'm glad I chose deck 10.

Again, thanks for posting the pictures. The girls are now more excited than ever........:cool:

Agreed deck 10 you should have no worries with noise, have a great cruise.

"Sail away we stayed up on deck 13 as long as we could but the wind sent us back to our windless aft balcony to enjoy going under the bridge. Here are a couple pics:"

These are great pics that you took. Where were you when you took the picture of the Statue of Liberty? Is this from your room or from a public location on the Gem?

I've had the same experience as you with noise in the early morning from above. You seem to think this problem is because you were over the Garden Cafe.....Nope. I had the same problem on the Jewel and on the Pearl in mini-suites which weren't too far aft.

The thing is, the Gem is not a new ship. So when you called the desk to report the noise and your concern, do you think this is the first time that has happened? Or, do you think week after week after week on all these ships passengers have to endure what you and I did?

Archived