Beach Glass in Bermuda

traveller99

If you do a search for beach glass you should find it. I remember reading it and plan to find it again so we can go there because we are docking at the Dockyard also. I think it was near the cemetary and around some buildings or homes but you should find it if you do the search or just scan beach glass on the Bermuda site. Have fun, I know I will.:p

Since I'll be in Bermuda in October, I've been looking for beach glass beaches. I found this posted here somewhere and cut and pasted to my notes: (Sorry I didn't keep the original posters screen name and so, can't give credit.)

We just came back from Bermuda Sunday on the Majesty. We visited what the locals call glass bottle beach and I can give you easier directions. Ask to be dropped at the Royal Naval Cemetery. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the touched by God ministries church. Across the street is Albert’s Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of turquoise. At the end of each building is a sign saying Albert’s Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says do not enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to where there is a blue and white striped canopy on your left. Walk down the stairs to the beach. There is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the sea glass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.

We had hoped to go to the sea glass beach when we were in Bermuda. We had 2 very nice bus drivers from the Kings wharf to the light house then to Horseshoe. When we were leaving horseshoe we asked the driver to stop at sea glass beach - she had no idea what we were talking about so I asked her to stop at the Royal Navel Cemetary. She said no. I thought I might be on an express bus (that doesn't stop until we get to the port) so I said I would wait for another bus. She told me to "Get on the bus and sit down and I'm not stopping there" We all got on and sat quietly while she yelled at other passengers and had plenty of choice words for the other cars on the road. Not sure what went wrong but my guess is that we should not have mentioned sea glass and just asked first for the cemetary. Not sure that would have helped because she was already in a bad mood from yelling at the group ahead of us. We did recognize the cemetary (from cruise critic description) as we drove by it. We thought about taking a taxi back but after a nice day at the ligihthouse and Horseshoe, we decided to call it a day.

....... When we were leaving horseshoe we asked the driver to stop at sea glass beach - she had no idea what we were talking about so I asked her to stop at the Royal Navel Cemetary. She said no. I thought I might be on an express bus (that doesn't stop until we get to the port) so I said I would wait for another bus. She told me to "Get on the bus and sit down and I'm not stopping there" We all got on and sat quietly while she yelled at other passengers and had plenty of choice words for the other cars on the road.........

Bummer.....most of the drivers are happy to accommodate requests for stops but every once in awhile there's a "bad apple". We too ran into a surly one last year but it was the first time ever. Sounds like she was having a really bad day but I think I would have been tempted to let someone know about her behavior and language.

We had hoped to go to the sea glass beach when we were in Bermuda. We had 2 very nice bus drivers from the Kings wharf to the light house then to Horseshoe. When we were leaving horseshoe we asked the driver to stop at sea glass beach - she had no idea what we were talking about so I asked her to stop at the Royal Navel Cemetary. She said no. I thought I might be on an express bus (that doesn't stop until we get to the port) so I said I would wait for another bus. She told me to "Get on the bus and sit down and I'm not stopping there" We all got on and sat quietly while she yelled at other passengers and had plenty of choice words for the other cars on the road. Not sure what went wrong but my guess is that we should not have mentioned sea glass and just asked first for the cemetary. Not sure that would have helped because she was already in a bad mood from yelling at the group ahead of us. We did recognize the cemetary (from cruise critic description) as we drove by it. We thought about taking a taxi back but after a nice day at the ligihthouse and Horseshoe, we decided to call it a day.

Sounds to me like you were on an express bus from Horseshoe Bay to the Dockyards. The regular #7 buses make numerous stops between these two locations.

Sounds to me like you were on an express bus from Horseshoe Bay to the Dockyards. The regular #7 buses make numerous stops between these two locations.

Probably, but the driver could have been a bit nicer by just saying it was an express. I don't understand why she would have told the OP to get on the bus when they said they would wait for another one.

Probably, but the driver could have been a bit nicer by just saying it was an express. I don't understand why she would have told the OP to get on the bus when they said they would wait for another one.

Sounds to me like she had an attitude problem. Not all Bermudians are happy and pleasant. We've run into an occasional surly bus driver over the years. Had this driver ordered me to "get on the bus" there's no way I would have. That should have been the first warning sign.

This was taken at the OTHER glass beach over by the Dockyard.

A few years ago, my husband & I did go to the Alexandria beach when we were docked in St. George

for beach glass. It was a NICE LONG walk, but not too long. After that we continued a walk and made a huge circle...but it was doable cause we would stop at beaches on the way...

Bernadette

glassbeach.jpg.fe38608dcbd0e7c6c34011ab05994ca8.jpg

Sounds to me like she had an attitude problem. Not all Bermudians are happy and pleasant. We've run into an occasional surly bus driver over the years. Had this driver ordered me to "get on the bus" there's no way I would have. That should have been the first warning sign.

We had one last year who ordered us off the bus. It was about 3 blocks from the bus station in St. George when he stopped. People said they were on the cruise ship which was docked at Ordnance Island. He then yelled, ALL CRUISE PAX OFF NOW!. It was just c couple of blocks but I think everyone was dumbfounded by his yelling, so we all got off.:(

We had one last year who ordered us off the bus. It was about 3 blocks from the bus station in St. George when he stopped. People said they were on the cruise ship which was docked at Ordnance Island. He then yelled, ALL CRUISE PAX OFF NOW!. It was just c couple of blocks but I think everyone was dumbfounded by his yelling, so we all got off.:(

OMG. It's going to feel like elemetary school all over again!

( I'm scared!:(:eek:)

OMG. It's going to feel like elemetary school all over again!

( I'm scared!:(:eek:)

No, no, no.

I think these are isolated incidents and they are certainly NOT the norm. In all our trips and numerous times on the busses while there, it was the first and only time we encountered a less than nice driver.

No, no, no.

I think these are isolated incidents and they are certainly NOT the norm. In all our trips and numerous times on the busses while there, it was the first and only time we encountered a less than nice driver.

OMG you're yelling at me too!:D

I found the people in Bermuda to be so nice and, only being there twice, I never encounted anything like that. We are all entitled to a bad day and guess you got the busdrivers!:)

The overwhelming majority of Bermuda residents are friendly, respectable and extremely well mannered. Regardless of where you go you'll find an occasional bad apple in the bunch for whatever reason. Now compared to Ocho Rios, where the locals we've encountered were downright rude, the people in Bermuda are angels.

• 5 months later...
Since I'll be in Bermuda in October, I've been looking for beach glass beaches. I found this posted here somewhere and cut and pasted to my notes: (Sorry I didn't keep the original posters screen name and so, can't give credit.)

We just came back from Bermuda Sunday on the Majesty. We visited what the locals call glass bottle beach and I can give you easier directions. Ask to be dropped at the Royal Naval Cemetery. If you are coming from the dockyard it will be on your left next to the touched by God ministries church. Across the street is Albert’s Row, 4 apartment buildings colored various shades of turquoise. At the end of each building is a sign saying Albert’s Row number 1-4, or 5-8, 9-12, 13-16. In between apartments buildings 2 and 3 is a grassy yard for the cars. You can cut through there to the beach.

You could also go to the road that begins behind the first apartment building. The sign says do not enter, this is for cars. You walk up the road to where there is a blue and white striped canopy on your left. Walk down the stairs to the beach. There is so much sea glass on the beach, in the water and on the high water mark that it is just amazing. I really think there are thousands of pieces.

On the stairs, the sea glass has been incorporated into the stones and the walls. The patio at the bottom of the stairs also has tables and patio areas with the sea glass mixed into the designs. It is very interesting and imaginative. Just walking down the stairs to the patio is a hoot.

Just wondering if you found it. Is it within walking distance from the dockyard? My daughter and I want to go here on our summer cruise.

Thanks for any info.

Just wondering if you found it. Is it within walking distance from the dockyard? My daughter and I want to go here on our summer cruise.

Thanks for any info.

It is not all that far from Dockyard but it is not really safe to walk since there are no shoulders. Take the bus, but not the one marked "Special" as it goes directly to the beaches without making stops along the way.

It is not all that far from Dockyard but it is not really safe to walk since there are no shoulders. Take the bus, but not the one marked "Special" as it goes directly to the beaches without making stops along the way.

What on earth are you talking about? I have lived here for over thirty years and regularly walk and pedal cycle all over the island without feeling unsafe. If walking, just remember to face the oncoming traffic.

It is a pleasant walk from Dockyard to the 'glass beach' and then an awkward scramble down the hill to actually get onto it but, please, some one enlighten me - what is this interest in picking up our old trash? The 'seaglass' is merely the stuff that has washed ashore from when Bermuda used to dump it's trash off the West End - it's appalling marine pollution and we are ashamed of it.

What on earth are you talking about? I have lived here for over thirty years and regularly walk and pedal cycle all over the island without feeling unsafe. If walking, just remember to face the oncoming traffic.

It is a pleasant walk from Dockyard to the 'glass beach' and then an awkward scramble down the hill to actually get onto it but, please, some one enlighten me - what is this interest in picking up our old trash? The 'seaglass' is merely the stuff that has washed ashore from when Bermuda used to dump it's trash off the West End - it's appalling marine pollution and we are ashamed of it.

Being a resident and used to walking on your roads is a little different than those of us from the US who are used to a shoulder to avoid some of your fast moving cars and busses. Unfortunately there are people who still do not know to face the traffic when walking. Maybe not on the way from Dockyard, but there were times when it was so tight and with my back parallel to the road, I felt like the busses could rip the buttons off my shirt.:p Sorry but I see nothing wrong with erring on the side of caution.

Pleasant walk? Sure if you have the time for a leisurely walk but many do not have the luxury of walking it when time is of the essence so taking the bus will be faster.

If sea glass is appalling marine pollution than I think you should be delighted that everyone is carting it away....and may even pay us to do so.:D BTW, no awkward scramble down a hill, just walk down the steps.;)

• 2 weeks later...

Never knew beach glass would become so popular. I remember when I was a child in the 70s picking up thick chunks that looked like it had been in the water for decades.

We've had some rough weather lately and if I'm not too lazy this weekend I'll try to get to the places mentioned and take pics of what's there. I'll also try another place where I used to get the glass I described above.

If anyone is really in a bind & can't walk, and wants to get to Alexandria Beach when you are here, I may be able to run you up there once you make your way to St. George's (no charge of course & my schedule permitting). To me it's a fair distance.

I'm new to this board so I'm thinking that you can contact me through here.

Never knew beach glass would become so popular. I remember when I was a child in the 70s picking up thick chunks that looked like it had been in the water for decades.

We've had some rough weather lately and if I'm not too lazy this weekend I'll try to get to the places mentioned and take pics of what's there. I'll also try another place where I used to get the glass I described above.

If anyone is really in a bind & can't walk, and wants to get to Alexandria Beach when you are here, I may be able to run you up there once you make your way to St. George's (no charge of course & my schedule permitting). To me it's a fair distance.

Stick around...it's always nice to have a Bermuda resident post.:)

Hi and welcome to the CC boards! Thank you for your kind offer. Several years ago, after walking to Tobacco Bay and snorkeling, then walking on to Alexander Battery - collecting sea glass and climbing around in the cave - we decided just to keep walking back to town. It was hot, we were sooooo tired and really dragging by that time...a lady came out of a house as we passed and gave us a ride into town. She was such a nice lady and took pity on us...even gave us a ride right to the ship!

I agree with iheartbda, nice to get news and pics and opinions from one of the nice residents of Bermuda.

Thank you for the welcome! I just hung up the phone with my mom and she's actually at the beach now. She said there is tons and tons of it there. Even up under a cave. Lots of green, brown and white. She said she sees blue too, but not as much.

So I think it's safe to say that there should be enough for everyone. I'll still take my dog there this weekend to take pics.

Thank you for the welcome! I just hung up the phone with my mom and she's actually at the beach now. She said there is tons and tons of it there. Even up under a cave. Lots of green, brown and white. She said she sees blue too, but not as much.

So I think it's safe to say that there should be enough for everyone. I'll still take my dog there this weekend to take pics.

Which place? Is this one we don't all know about?;)

I found some tiny blue pieces last year in the cave at Alexandra's Battery which was a bit hairy getting to.:eek:

iheartbda, the place was at Ferry beach (no public transportation) but there wasn't much there today. And she said it was a different type. Last summer I remember picking up some from the other side of Ferry, facing the airport.

Apparently the glass is mainly found on the North Shore and like someone said, it's from bottles dumped years ago. If I think of any more places (think there's one place in St. David's too), I'll let you know.

Archived