Belize lamanai ruins

nygvic1950

Looking at this excursion when we port on the NCL Spirit on Wed - 2/22. NCL has this offered for 7.5 hours at cost of $99 p/p. Island Marketing has virtually the same itinerary at 6.0 hours for $75 p/p.

Can anyone offer suggestions / comparisons that have taken either one ??

island marketing will be a smaller group, we did NCL's tour. had a great time,never had to worry about getting back in time...they wait for their tours.

we got back 10 mins before the last tender left, it was a very long, hot day. BUT we had a great tour guide and bus driver. over all it was one of the best tours we have been on.

just remember, it's a 30 to 45 mins bus ridge to the docks, a long boat ride to lamanai (they stop for critter spotting)..either lunch, then tour..or , in our case, we toured and then lunch. there was one other tour, from another cruise ship, other then being behind their boad..we never saw them once we started the tour. they had lunch 1st and toured, made for a nice (almost) private tour.

Just did this tour with through Eco-Tourism, booked it through cruise dot com. It was wonderful, everything exactly as advertised. We were back with 45 minutes to spare. Do take some good walking shoes, it had rained for two days prior to our tour and the jungle was slippery in the muddy areas, that said, we did manage it well with crocs, flip flops and sandals!

We did this tour with NCL on the Jan 1-8 sailing of the Star, and had the same experience previously mentioned that we were back 10 minutes before the last tender. There were several groups behind us, and honestly I wouldn't have enjoyed this tour as much as I did if I was always looking at my watch. There are many opportunities for things to go wrong on this excursion: 1.25hr bus ride, 1.25hr boat ride, 1.5 hrs to tour the ruins, 45 min boat ride, 45-60 mins for lunch, then another 1.25 hr bus ride.

I'm not one to push ship-based excursions, but I'm glad I used one on this occasion. We did this tour with our children, ages 6.5 and 4yrs, and I wouldn't want to be left behind in Belize City with them.

The ruins are fantastic, just make sure you're in good shape to climb as it's a long way up! Do wear good shoes, someone slipped the day we went and had a nasty gash on his head and face. The tour guides carry first aid kits for a reason.

We just took the tour with RCCL a couple of weeks ago. Highly recommended!

Our tour was a nearly full tour bus, and a full boat, but I didn't feel crowded.

However, we arrived at the pier (literally) 3 minutes before the scheduled last Tender to return to the ship.

I'm not sure what your schedule is. However, I'd perfer not to have the stress of possibly missing the ship on a private tour that is that far from the pier.

Just sayin....

Archived