Costa Cruise Ship Captain Questioned !

sonicbuffalo

The captain of a cruise ship that ran aground off the coast of Italy -- killing three people and injuring 20 others -- has been arrested, a local prosecutor said Saturday. He is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship. The 4,200-passenger Costa Concordia, owned by Genoa-based Costa Cruises, hit bottom Friday night on a sand bank off the island of Giglio. Not all passengers have been accounted for.

I can't believe he got off the ship well before all the passengers and crew were off. In the maritine world this is the biggest no-no. He is in deep doo-doo.

When other captains in this same situation have done this their company's public relations people said "the captain wanted to go ashore ASAP to report to authorities and brief them." Uh-huh...

I have found over the years that CNN (not just CNN) during a "developing situation" have said many things that turn out later to be inaccurate.

Over the years I have been involved with news stories due to my job. The news you see is on TV and the newspapers is not as accurate as you'd like to think. The stories are usually about 75-80% correct with several misstated facts that never get corrected. Most often they are smaller details that don't really matter, for example with this story, they were (some still are) reporting that the ship left Savona towards Rome's port (which Im not going to try to spell) when the opposite is true, the length of the ship was off, and cbs news had a picture of the wrong ship up early in the evening.

The second issue for CNN and the rest of the media is that they are trying to get a story out as quick as possible when the story is unfolding. At the time emergency and company officials are busy dealing with the situation and don't have time to stop in order to tell the news media what is going on. The focus, appropriately, is to deal with rescue efforts and figure out what is happening rather than stopping everything to talk to reporters.

The news media, in their rush to get the story out to the waiting public, reports everything they hear. Once the dust settles the mostly correct story gets told.

Over the years I have been involved with news stories due to my job. The news you see is on TV and the newspapers is not as accurate as you'd like to think. The stories are usually about 75-80% correct with several misstated facts that never get corrected. Most often they are smaller details that don't really matter, for example with this story, they were (some still are) reporting that the ship left Savona towards Rome's port (which Im not going to try to spell) when the opposite is true, the length of the ship was off, and cbs news had a picture of the wrong ship up early in the evening.

The second issue for CNN and the rest of the media is that they are trying to get a story out as quick as possible when the story is unfolding. At the time emergency and company officials are busy dealing with the situation and don't have time to stop in order to tell the news media what is going on. The focus, appropriately, is to deal with rescue efforts and figure out what is happening rather than stopping everything to talk to reporters.

The news media, in their rush to get the story out to the waiting public, reports everything they hear. Once the dust settles the mostly correct story gets told.

Understood.

Some of the what turned out to be inaccurate reports coming out of NOLA immediately post-Katrina are still living on as "Truth".

I am not jumping to conclusions. I do not know how Italian laws work, but they are different than the US clearly. If something of this magnitude happens it would not shock me to find out that officials would detain the person in control (airplane pilot, train engineer, ship captain - even the driver of a car) if there is an accident so they can investigate who is at fault.

Hopefully this isn't going to be like the captain of the Oceanos, who if you recall, along with other officers, packed his suitcase and abandoned ship leaving 2 musicians to evacuate the passengers.

The pictures are unbelievable. To anyone who has been on a ship this size, you know what it must look like in person. I feel so bad for the passengers and crew. I just have a hard time thinking how this could have happened. They do the same route over and over, right?

As I said elsewhere, "Routine implies repetition, repetition implies complacency."

Complacency is an accident looking for a place to happen.

I can almost imagine the conversation on the Bridge.

"Captain (or whoever had the con) aren't we a little close to that island?"

Captain: "What do the charts say?"

Navigator: "All clear sir"

Captain: "Very well, carry on."

Except in Italian.

As I said elsewhere, "Routine implies repetition, repetition implies complacency."

Complacency is an accident looking for a place to happen.

I can almost imagine the conversation on the Bridge.

"Captain (or whoever had the con) aren't we a little close to that island?"

Captain: "What do the charts say?"

Navigator: "All clear sir"

Captain: "Very well, carry on."

Except in Italian.

It is only intuition for me...but agree...and after all Columbia sandbar stories..what fits in some situations..also flashing back to my ignorant carefree stormy ride on last passenger deck on Costa Riviera..sitting in the porthole ledge watching waves hit it...sigh..blissful ignorant safety..Sarah

One account I read said the ship was 2 1/2 miles off course, and was moving between two huge rocks that normally only fishing boats move through. Beats me if it's accurate, a bald faced lie, or somewhere in between. But *IF* it's accurate, holy smoke!!!

They also pointed out that (obviously) since the captain turned towards shore after impact, then the ship wasn't dead and drifting when it hit the rock.

Archived