Laundry on ship - how do you pay?

MarieAtSea

I never bother taking detergent - a squirt of the shampoo provided in the cabin works just fine. You don't need much as these are small machines, and shampoo can cause more foam than laundry detergent, but all detergents are chemically much the same and work in the same way, there's no difference just because it's labelled for your hair instead of your clothes.

If you really need to use a softener in the dryer (and I never do, don't understand why people want residual chemicals on their clothes?), you can rinse out a facecloth in water containing some hair conditioner, wring it out, and toss in the dryer.

And definitely check the iron before applying it to a garment (on an inside seam or something inconspicuous) - I've had some where the thermostat didn't appear to be working.

Poking my head in just to say thanks for the info on the 3-in-1 sheets. That's a good idea. I suppose I'll make a baggie of 3-in-1 sheets, a few dryer sheets, and $4 or so in quarters (after paying a fortune for pictures, $2 a load sounds fantastic!).

1.) Do they make travel-sized detergent that you could pick up at CVS or Target other than the 3-in-1's?

2.) If you went on a 12-day cruise, would you just pack 6 pairs of clothes and wash them halfway to save on luggage space? I'm thinking of doing that and hope it isn't a nutty idea.

2.) If you went on a 12-day cruise, would you just pack 6 pairs of clothes and wash them halfway to save on luggage space? I'm thinking of doing that and hope it isn't a nutty idea.

If you go on a 7 day cruise, take enough for 7 days.

If you go on a 14 day cruise, take enough for 7 days.

If you go on a 28 day cruise, take enough for 7 days

That's what I do, that's what laundry is for. Admittedly, for the longest cruises I pack a bit more just to avoid boredom, but then I usually end up with some stuff I haven't worn.

Take about half of what you think you'll need, then you'll be about right. It's taken me years to learn this!!

If you go on a 7 day cruise, take enough for 7 days.

If you go on a 14 day cruise, take enough for 7 days.

If you go on a 28 day cruise, take enough for 7 days

That's what I do, that's what laundry is for. Admittedly, for the longest cruises I pack a bit more just to avoid boredom, but then I usually end up with some stuff I haven't worn.

Take about half of what you think you'll need, then you'll be about right. It's taken me years to learn this!!

Noted! Thanks, jollyjones!

Archived