Which to skip: Costa Maya or Belize?

karen11g

Karen, I had a bunch of teen boys with me in mahahaul they rented golf carts and drove up and down the dirt road in front of the beach,

They had a hoot! Maybe this is something your teens will like.

My son said it was the best day of his life!

I cannot even believe this question!!! :O Although...I'm totally against staying on the ship when you are in port...that's what Sea Days are for!!

I TOTALLY agree with djklove and NoNoNanette....LOVE both ports. Two of my favorites actually...and two that I would NEVER ever miss!!

We too went out to the fishing village in Costa Maya. After my day out there I was ready to take a month sabatical from work and go to live out there with Juan Carlos - one of the bartenders at the Bar Familiaire (sp?)!! Can't beat Corona's for $1! Truly one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever experienced. And it wasn't just the Coronas talking. :D

And Belize...I will go out to Goff's Caye EVERY time I'm there. Talk about your Giligan's Island experience!! LOVED every minute of it.

I would definitely put up with the "busy"-ness and get off at both places. Just my humble opinion. :)

disneylynn, that's sounds like something they'd love! I checked other threads about renting golf carts & my only concern is that the Explorer of the Seas gets in about 3 hours before we do on that day. I'll have to figure out whether gettig golf carts will be a problem. Thanks for the idea!

Costa maya is really nice becasue the kids will get a small tram ride, see a free traditional dance show, and wade in the nice little pool (yes the water is from the ocean and let in every day-no filters). You can spend just an hour there and then head back to the ship. They have a mule there to take pictures with and you give a little tip. There are other photo opps. A dancer when you first go in and these 2 paper mache animal heads (tiger and crock).

Belize was wonder but expensive for your large family if you do an excursion. At least take the power boat ride to and from and say you have been there. You dont need to leave the compound if you dont want to.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to skip Belize! I loved it! We did the shark ray alley snorkel excursion (through Carnival), and it was great! We were picked up right at the ship, which was actually the main reason we booked the tour through Carnival. Not sure I understand the comment about rough snorkeling, unless they had bad weather. We've snorkeled in the Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John, Haiti, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc., and I'd have to say that Belize was the best place so far. The water was a beautiful blue with amazing reefs and tons of fish, and our guides were great. Belize is a place I definitely want to visit again.

We also enjoyed our day in Costa Maya, but it was a more laid back type of day for us. If you click on the link below for my Glory pictures, you can see pictures of both Belize and Costa Maya.

I couldn't agree more! Belize is wonderful! On our last cruise, we booked with a private operator, and did a snorkel/dive tour and it was awesome...we can't wait to go back this summer!

Costa Maya has a beach, that's it. It is a pretty beach, but snorkeling isn't so hot. But, it is a very pretty beach.It is nice to relax there.

Belize, though, has a lot to do. I only went there once, but it was our port highlight. Cave tubing was a blast,and the hike through the jungle was beautiful. If you are there early, you might even catch a wild Macaw in flight. There is snorkeling, horseback riding in the forest, beach islands, just a bunch of good things to do is you are willing to book on your own. For a family of four, plan on spending around $250 to have a great time there. Considering that is what admission to Disney or Universal might cost, I think it is a good use of $. The memories will last a lifetime. If we were to the western Glory again, my family is agreement that Progresso would be the port stay on board.

Do both! Costa Maya is no hassle whatsoever, and since the ship is docked you can wake up whenever you want and just wander on in! Take the bus into Majahual, and lay on the beach. You'd probably be busier on the ship!

Belize would be a HUGE shame to miss. I've been there twice - did the cave tubing with Reggie once, and the swamp boats/manatees once. You just don't get anything like Belize anywhere else, and the people are just incomparable - SO nice!

Bite the bullet, chill out one day on the beach in Majahual and have fun with amazing Belize!

Skip Costa Maya - Take the shore excursion to snorkle at Goff's Caye. This is the most beautiful place I have ever been and I've been on 4 cruises. You don't have to tender to the mainland. A boat picks you up at the ship while it is anchored in the harbor. Very easy, no hassle. Plus if you don't want to snorkle, they will let you off at the Caye to swim or sunbathe or eat or drink while everyone goes snorkling. Goff's Caye is about the size of a football field in the form or a sandbar sitting in the middle of nowhere. There are palm trees, a souvenier shop, a barbecue, and you feel like you are on a deserted island.

Archived