Wonder if Princess will try these on new ships

Shogun

Hi all

P &O Ferries not cruise company have been trying out slides similar to those on a plane for getting passengers off, they delpoy with a life raft at the end.

meant to be be faster, and work when ship has a list

could be you will get up quite a speed going down one, anyone seen pics.

yours Shogun

I saw something similar on a documentary for "Oasis of the Seas". Those were designed for crewmembers and was actually a tube that ended in a life raft. Because of the material inside, you don't build up too much speed.

Sounds like fun, the last time that my wife and I slid, it was a 'Beaver Slide' when we were 'caving'. However we are a LOT older now, and I wold prefer to leave my next cruise ship in a normal manner, that is if The cruise line insists that I have to leave the ship at all.:rolleyes:

john

In all honesty (and I am certainly not an engineer) but I cannot see how any major trauma to the hull of the ship would NOT cause a list eventually. Instead of coming up with ways to deal with the list, I think they should engineer ways to prevent them. I know there was some time that the escape boats could safely be used. Extending that time is what should be done. Getting people into the water isn't the best idea in my humble opinion. That is, unless they can ramp people directly into boats which I suppose is possible. From the reports, it sounds like many of the people that died were in the water and not on the ship or lifeboats (though understandably this is an emerging story).

Thats what they had on the Island and Coral.

By coincidence I was looking at this sort of thing becuase of comments made on another forum I belong to (not cruise related)

Here is a link to a youtube video showing the system. (It's called a Marine Evacuation System)

Archived