Help me decide dining options.

myers0214

My husband and I along with our 4 boys (ages 5-17) are going on a cruise in March. We have been on three cruises before but have never tried anytime dining. I like the idea of being able to go whenever we are ready - not trying to rush four kids to get ready in time. But I have heard the service is slow and food not as good. With four boys we obviously don't want to wait around at dinner for a long time either. My husband and I keep debating so I told him I would post on Cruise Critic and let everybody else give their opinions. We are going on the Valor if that helps at all.

Thank You :)

With 4 kids-- I would take traditional.

Knowing they can get ready for anytime and may tend to dwadlle.(dilly dally)

You also want them to utilize the camps each evening-- activities will start at 7-- do you want to eat later where the kids (especially those teens) will miss out on something?

My husband and I along with our 4 boys (ages 5-17) are going on a cruise in March. We have been on three cruises before but have never tried anytime dining. I like the idea of being able to go whenever we are ready - not trying to rush four kids to get ready in time. But I have heard the service is slow and food not as good. With four boys we obviously don't want to wait around at dinner for a long time either. My husband and I keep debating so I told him I would post on Cruise Critic and let everybody else give their opinions. We are going on the Valor if that helps at all.

If you haven't made a choice the cruiseline may have already made the choice for you. Early and ATD/YTD seem to be the most popular. You cauld be waitlisted or ask the MD to change your first day. YTD for 6 PAX may incur a wait for a big enough table for your family. While the 5 year old may not be willing to wait for Late seating, it is doable. If you have a busy day in port, that early dining may not be so convenient. With Late, you can feed the little one at the buffet and keep him entertained at your Late seating in the MDR. We had Late with our 3 year old without any problem. Each option has pros and cons. Hope it all works out for your family and you have a great cruise.

I found with our girls (2,4, and 1) YTD is much better. If you are in Ports there is no rush to get showered, changed, etc to meet Early Dining or Late.

If you plan on eating with them in the MDR than maybe assigned dining is best but they may really want to eat with the camp which means you have them in the Lido for 6pm. If that is the case I would choose Anytime for sure!

Honestly - I wouldn't do anything other than anytime any more. You go when you want, the menu is the same, you go when you want (get the picture?) and I actually think the services is faster. sometimes we just want to go straight to entrees and skip salads and apps, and sometimes we have had just a couple good apps and then a couple desserts. No problems doing that when you do anytime. But with traditional, they like to do everything in a certain order - and you will sometimes find your self waiting.

Also, did the Valor - nice ship, Enjoy!

I would definately do the YTD! We did it on our last cruise and loved it! Our next cruise will have to be a set time because there are 11 of us and Im sure it would be quite a wait for a table that size. I also think with a group that size its better if everyone just knows ahead of time where and when to be at dinner! For a family of your size, YTD is the way to go!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived