Gem Medevac Video

Surfgirl

I found this video of the medevac that occurred during my recent cruise on the Gem. On yet another site, I learned that the passenger was a 38-year old man, was sick and going into shock when the ship's doctor phoned the Coast Guard.

We were 75 miles east of Wilmington at the time. (This was at night). The Coast Guard helicopter flew the man from the ship to a hospital in Elizabeth, City, North Carolina. It was reported he was in stable condition.

The whole thing took about an hour.. I watched the helicopters from my balcony. We were delayed about five hours because the Captain turned the ship around.. but that was OK, because we were told the man was in stable condition in the hospital, and that's all that matters.

Amazing video below of the medevac:

http://www.military.com/video/forces/coast-guard/uscg-medevacs-man-from-cruise-ship/1338135454001/

Hi TV13. We couldn't see the actual rescue from our balcony, but were watching the helecopter hover as it lit up the deck. (Were there two helicopters?)

I have the utmost respect for the Coast Guard. After seeing this video, and how cold and windy it was during the rescue, you can appreciate what they do.

Archived