Dawn Review Part I - NYC to Bahamas - 5/2-5/9/04

VoodooDali

Hi - I just got back from the Dawn yesterday. I'm missing the food already!

Anyway, here's part of my review. I'm doing it chronologically, since it's easier to remember things that way. I will finish the rest tomorrow. Feel free to ask any questions!

DAY ONE - Getting to Port & Night at Sea

PATH train from Newark to Hoboken. (For those of you coming from Newark Airport - you can take the Airtrain to Newark Penn Station (one stop) then switch to the PATH train on platform 1. Cost is $1.50. Or if you are driving and want to save some money, there is an Edison Parking Lot, well-lit, fenced and guarded, next to Newark Penn Station for around $8/day.

At Hoboken terminal, you follow the signs to the NY Waterways Ferry. Every half hour on Sundays, the ferry goes to West 38th St. in NYC. The ride takes about 8 minutes.

You can also catch this line's ferries at Pavonia/Newport in Jersey City or Weehawken.

After disembarking from the ferry, there are free Waterways buses, but the closest they brought us was to W. 44th St. We had to walk the rest of the way. The bus was extremely crowded, and difficult to navigate with a lot of luggage. It might have been easier to take a cab or walk the 10 blocks.

Embarkation

Pure Hell! I really meant to get there early, but didn't make it there until around 1PM.

The first line snaked around and took about 45 minutes to get through. At the end of it, you showed your ID, then entered another room.

The next line was the same - another 45 minutes of snaking around. It led up to the x-ray machines. The main reason for the slowness of the lines is that NCL only has 3 X-ray machines. If NCL would add another 3 machines, it would really speed up the process and make it much less stressful for the passengers, many of whom are already weary from traveling to the pier.

The last line was for getting your key card and went much faster.

I'm not a Latitudes member, but I didn't see any special lines until the last line, which basically saves you no time.

We had Inside Stateroom #9097. It was better than I expected. The cabin still looked brand-new. The closets are roomy and so the cabin felt more spacious than it really was. The bathroom is in a separate room, and has a separate glassed-in shower, which was really nice. Shower water pressure and temperature were perfect. Room also had a hairdryer, refrigerator (extremely useful) and TV. The TV has CNN, TNT, ESPN, two movie channels, and a bunch of channels of the Dawn.

Honeymoon/Anniversary Package Part 1

Sparkling Wine was waiting in our room. It was good and we drank it all right away! The chocolate covered strawberries didn't arrive until later that night, but they were delicious.

Party on Deck

We pulled away from NY Harbor. Going by the Statue of Liberty and under the Verrazano Bridge was truly a highlight of the trip. The weather was cold and cloudy. The Verrazano was shrouded in clouds and looked more like the Golden Gate. Spectacular.

Bimini Bar

We sat at the Bimini Bar on Deck 13 that overlooks the Oasis Pool one deck below. Eventually I felt too cold and wind-blown to stay there. Bimini Bar has the best backward-looking views, but is very windy when the ship is in motion, no matter what the weather. They make hamburgers, hotdogs and fries there, but I never had any.

On the Oasis Pool deck, there was a buffet style BBQ lunch. Leathery hamburgers, really fatty horrible spare ribs, hot dogs, chicken and salads. Something about all the Dawn's BBQ's feels and tastes a bit institutional. Maybe it can't be helped when serving such large groups.

Aqua Restaurant Dinner.

We chose the Aqua mostly because it was directly below our location, and we could find it! Took a while to learn our way around.

I had the Artichoke and Gruyere Tart, which was a vegetarian dish, and was actually a quiche. A little on the bland side, but quite good. My husband had a steak (which he did every night!!!), and said it was very good.

The decor was nice but kind of claustrophobic and dark, since the Aqua has few or no windows. It was not my favorite place and I did not return there.

Pearly Kings Pub

Located behind the Atrium on the 7th deck. We went to this pub quite often and liked the cozy atmosphere.

Weather

Force 8 Gale Winds, Raining

Rough Seas - 7-12 foot waves.

My first taste of seasickness. Glad I brought Dramamine, though it turned out that they give out pills for free at the reception desk. The dramamine and seasickness knocked me out. (Did you know the first sign of seasickness is drowsiness?)

DAY TWO

No change in weather. Lots of seasick passengers, but I was fine after only one dose of Dramamine the night before.

Room Service Breakfast

Coffee, toast, danishes, fruit. All mediocre, thought the coffee is nice and strong. If you like milk in it, order an extra milk, because they don't give you enough.

Wandered around the ship to get a feel for it. A lot of the activities we had wanted to do were cancelled due to the weather (shuffleboard, ping-pong).

Pearly Kings Pub Lunch - Steak Pot Pie. Bland, but good. Has 2 for 1 beer and wine from Noon to 2 PM and 11PM to Midnight. We ordered a bucket of beer at the 2 for 1 and got 12 beers for the price of 5. Drank some and stored the rest in the tiny fridge in our cabin.

Bingo - Went for the 2 for 1 Power Bingo. Cost $39. 6 cards per game, but only 3 games, so I felt it was a real rip-off.

Le Bistro Dinner / Anniversary Package Part 2

We made reservations in the morning for Le Bistro that evening. The usual cover charge was covered by our Anniversary Package, and we also had a free bottle of wine, which I upgraded.

Usual cover $15 each. For the Fire Combo, it goes up to $18. For the Surf n Turf, it goes up to $20.

We got the Surf n Turf.

The appetizers - escargot and salmon were both very good.

The Goat Cheese and Spinach salads were excellent - the best we had on the ship.

Mushroom Soup served in sourdough bowl, thick and tasty.

Lobster Tails - given 1 1/2 tails, cooked perfectly and a server removed the shells for you. Filet Mignon - absolutely perfect, just melted in your mouth.

Dessert - Lemon tart (low cal - feeling guilty I guess) - also good. The fruit with chocolate fondue looked like the thing to get, but we were way too stuffed!

Wine - Greg Norman Merlot 2001 from Australia. Very dry and oakey. Adequate - paid and extra $15 after credit from anniversary package ($19 credit), but it is definitely not worth the normal $33 price.

Service - the best you'll get on the ship, and that's saying a lot!

Decor - very small and intimate. No direct views of the sea, but understandable considering there's $48 million dollars worth of art in the place. The standout is the Renoir. We sat right underneath the Monet and next to the Van Gogh.

I highly recommend Le Bistro - it's well worth the cover charge.

Music of the Night Show

This was the first show we saw with the Jean Ann Ryan dancers. We were both disappointed with the quality of the show. I felt as though I was watching Waiting for Guffman, in a way. I think that if you are from an area where you never see any theater, this show would impress you, but NCL will need to upgrade and try harder to please NYC audiences who are accustomed to first-rate shows, whether they are on or off Broadway. You might want to check ou this article for a more thorough discussion of this issue: http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/humop/shipboard-entertainment.cfm

DAY THREE - Port Canaveral

Garden Cafe Buffet Breakfast

About what you'd expect. This restaurant is also open for lunch, afternoon snacks, and the occasional dinner, and appears to be the favorite hang for the many morbidly obese passengers on the ship. I was totally grossed out watching the woman in front of me - who weighed 300+ pounds, piling on the deep-fried potato pancakes and as much bacon as the tongs would hold. I believe she would have carried the entire bacon tray to her table, if that were allowed. Oh, that sounds mean, but it's really the only guest gripe that I have. Moving along - a nice feature of the Garden Cafe is a separate little kids buffet and eating area.

Hertz Rental Car

We took the Hertz shuttle outside the port to the Hertz office about 2 miles away. Hertz overcharged me a little, and some other passengers as well. Still, at $50 it was cheaper than taking a cab. Also, this is not listed on the web, but Hertz has extended their shuttle hours for Port Canaveral on the days the Dawn is there, so you can return the car as late as 7:00 PM.

Kennedy Space Center

IMAX Movies - they were fantastic, but I think that they are occasionally shown at other IMAX theaters around the nation, so I don't think you necessarily have to make a special trip to KSC for them.

Exhibits - really lame. Clearly NASA is not spending its money here. Most looked as though they were put together in the 1970's and had been minimally updated over the years.

Lunch w/an Astronaut. There are about 10 tables of 10 in the room, and it was full the day we went, so do not expect an intimate setting. Mediocre buffet lunch consisting of flavorless chicken, macaroni and cheese, salad, rolls, something I've forgotten, and disgusting mini corn-dogs (for the kids?), plus cake for dessert. First they show a movie of astronauts home movies in space. Then the astronaut talks for a while and takes questions. You can take a picture of yourself with the astronaut when leaving, and you are also given an 8x10 autographed photo of him/her. Overall, I do not recommend paying the extra money for this, since you can hear the talk and ask questions at the free Astronaut Encounter.

I heard from other passengers that the Kennedy Space Center Up Close tour was really cool and worthwhile, but I cannot recommend just visiting the Visitor's Center. I kept wishing I'd gone to Universal instead.

Impressions for Dinner

If you can't afford the cover for Le Bistro, this is the next best thing. The decor has large copies of Impressionist paintings in-between large picture windows with the beautiful sea outside. What a nice place. I would have returned if I'd had the time.

I had the vegetarian meal - an Indonesian style rice and vegetable dish. It was nice and spicy and one of my favorite meals.

Part Two coming tomorrow.

[This message was edited by VoodooDali on 05-10-04 at 09:12 PM.]

Thank you for the start of your review! You are so thorough and I appreciate it! We are leaving in less than 2 wks now and reading about others good experiences just makes me even more excited!

We have also rented a Hertz car in PC. Was the Shuttle right there when you got off the ship? Was the process of getting your car pretty quick?

We ordered the Honeymoon/Romance package too and sounds like a good thing! Nice to hear how much you liked Le Bistro!

Will be looking for Part 2 tomorrow!

Allyson icon_smile.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;05;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Till our 10th annivesary cruise without the kids!

VoodooDali:

I enjoyed reading your review. My 2 daughters and I will be on the Dawn June 6. This will be my second time on the Dawn. Same week as last year and same suite.

I did not appreciate your comment about the obese people. That was a bit uncalled for.. Sorry you see morbidly obese people as being gross.

I have had a weight problem all my life and have to fight every day to lose. I am in the process of coming down in weight from being the 300+ person that you wrote about. What a thin person eats in just one day will put weight on me. It takes a lot of commitment to finally get up the courage to stop making food an emotional crutch. I have deep empathy for the morbidly obese. I know how easy it is to get there. The hardest thing for me is to see people with no weight problem load up their plates with food in a buffet. Doesn't make me gross, just jealous

I am working out double time so that I can enjoy eat reasonably at every restaurant on the ship !!!!!!!.

Marilyn

NCL Sun 4/02 - Carnival Elation 6/02 - NCL Norway 8/02

NCL Dawn 6/03 - RCI Monarch 1/04 - NCL Dawn 6/04

VoodooDali,

Thanks for the info so far. Since we are also planning on doing NASA at Cape Canaveral, I was glad to see your review of that, although we are already planning to do the NASA up close tour, since my son will be studying Engineering in college and this interests him tremendously. I am also interested in hearing about your experience waiting for the Hertz shuttle either way, as I have already rented the car (figured I can always cancel it!). How did they overcharge you, if you have a printed receipt from your booking? That does NOT seem right!

Another question, since you were in an inside, which I have booked. We will be three of us--do you think we'll be OK, or trip all over one another? I don't plan on spending too much time in the cabin. Does the toilet also close off with a door in there, or is this just in the oceanview and above cabins? Trying to decide if I should go for the extra $200 and change and book an obstructed view outside, just for the extra room and light in it. We're going Presidents' week and already it's quite pricey!

Explorer of the Seas (Western Caribbean) 12/7/02

Serenade of the Seas (Canada) 9/25/03

Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) 2/16/04

Norwegian Dawn (Bahamas) 2/20/05

Until we sail the Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marilynd:

VoodooDali:

I did not appreciate your comment about the obese people. That was a bit uncalled for.. Sorry you see morbidly obese people as being gross.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree here.... icon_rolleyes.gif

I was a size 8 most of my adult life, and I was a fairly thin child, until I was diagnosed with aggressive cervical cancer and had to get a "radical hysterectomy" I never knew I was capable of being a "food addict" till the stress from all that along with "single parenthood" hit me like a ton of bricks. Between that and quitting smoking I gradually grew to a size 20. My metabolizm reached an all time hault and it was and continues to be quite difficult to lose anything without starving myself. It's steep uphill climb for many people to over come their weight problems.

The point is that we don't know the stories that go along with the "eating disorders" that cause weight problems, and "there but for the grace of God" goes yourself perhaps. icon_rolleyes.gif

<p align="center">swimgirl.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown - Dawn 11 day cruise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home Lines - 5/1988

Disney Wonder - 10/1998

Carnival Triumph - 7/2002

Carnival Legend - 10/2003

NCL - Dawn - 1/2005

</P>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by uneamie:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marilynd:

I did not appreciate your comment about the obese people. That was a bit uncalled for.. Sorry you see morbidly obese people as being gross. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I have to agree here. It's steep uphill climb for many people to over come their weight problems. The point is that we don't know the stories that go along with the "eating disorders" that cause weight problems, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>First let me say that I appreciate a well written review. This is a good review overall. The information is great. However, I fail to see why people have to make others look or feel bad just to make an observation. Someone may have loaded up at the buffet but how does that fit into a cruise review except to let someone express how they feel about overweight people? I've had a weight problem all my life. My dad died at 56 years old weighing almost 500 lbs. My sister had a gastric banding surgery and then a gastric bypass surgery a year later because of her balooning 350 weight. We aren't all overweight because we eat bins of bacon everyday. Family genes play a part. I struggle daily and it makes me sad to see that people still feel like overweight people deserve to be made fun of or pointed out because of what they eat. I have VERY strong feelings about pencil thin girls wearing kite string for swimwear but I would never say how disgusted I felt having to look at them. It's mean.

Sorry to branch off topic a bit. But since the topic was covered in the review, I think it's still valid to talk about it. Thank you again for sharing your trip. It sounds like you had a good time.

Cecilia

I can be contacted at *****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

Bragstarr, I was on the same cruise as the original poster, in inside cabin 9597. Three people will definitely be cozy in the Dawn's inside cabins. The third person will sleep in either a bed that pulls down from the wall, or in a trundle bed that pulls out and up from under one of the regular beds. If the trundle bed is used, it will be wall-to-wall beds in the room. You will feel like three people in one bed!

There is no door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom.

There was adequate closet space and several shelves within the closet, but only 3 drawers for storage. There is no cabinet of any type in the bathroom, only a narrow shelf above the sink and a wider shelf under the sink. Overall, I would expect that all the "stuff" the three people would have could make the cabin and bathroom feel cluttered. In addition, since there is that trundle bed under one of the beds, storage for luggage is limited to what will fit under the other bed.

I've been in a standard outside cabin on the Star, and it's the same as far as the arrangement of beds, but it does have more drawers and additional shelf space within the cabin. The outsides have slightly more square footage, but it would still be wall-to-wall beds if the trundle bed is used. The main difference is in the amount of storage space and the fact that there is a sliding door around the toilet.

Only you can decide if the extra space is worth it to you. I'm sure you will have a great cruise, whatever you choose. If you stay in the inside cabin, I would recommend packing as lightly as possible in only as many suitcases as will fit under the one bed. Take advantage of the laundry service or the self-service laundry rooms so you can pack less.

Have a great time. The Dawn is a lovely ship. icon_smile.gif

Okay, enough about bacon.

How was the basic 2 hour bus tour at Kennedy. You only mentioned the movies and exhibits.

NCL Dawn 6/20/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;20;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn 10/04

RCI Voyager of the Seas 7/04

NCL Dawn 6/04

RCI Serenade of the Seas 9/03

Celebrity Galaxy 8/03

Celebrity Horizon 8/02

NCL Sea 7/02

DCL Magic 11/01

NCL Sea 6/01

DCL Magic 11/00

NCL Sky 11/99

NCL Dream 11/94

Home Lines Atlantic 8/88

Chandris Victoria 9/86 Home Lines Oceanic 6/83

When will they put a ski trail on a cruise ship?

I agree, the remark made about the obese people on the ship was very uncalled for.

Should just the pretty people of the world be able to vacation?????

Thanks for the review (or rather part one of the review) you have expressed my sentiments of my dawn trip last Sept. I also didn't think the shows were that good, in fact I believe we left in the middle of one of them, but as you said, when you live in or close to NYC, I think you get spoiled by all the really great theater you have here at your "finger tips". We did not get to dine at LeBistro then, but we are going again this Sept. and it is definately on my to do list!

I am sure you meant no disrespect to over-weight people with your statement. It was just something you experienced, and perhaps could have been phrased just a wee bit more politically correct. I had a simular experience on a Celebrity cruise once, only in my case it was not the over weight people, but rather the elderly people on the cruise during the buffet line. I had an older gentlemen in frount of me on a line, who insisted that the server put the whole chicken on his plate, rather then the slices. Now I knew he wasn't gonna be able to eat the WHOLE chicken!!! Perhaps it is something about a buffet line, rather then the body size or age of a person that makes them think that since they can have as much as they want of things that they feel the need to take it ALL. LOL I also had a older women take each and every one of the chocolate chip cookies off a cookie display...she didn't leave a single one She was so busy wrapping them up in napkins LOL Maybe she thought she wouldn't be able to get any more chocolate chip cookies again hehe

Anyways, no offense meant, my point being that their are always people who "take advantage" on a buffet line (just like in an all you can eat resturant). Takes all kinds icon_smile.gif

Looking forward to Part 2

Debbie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;26;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Joanne, thanks for the good info on the cabin, still trying to decide whether it is worth another $200 plus for the obstructed view outside. It could cover a couple of shore excursions! I didn't plan on using the trundle bed anyway, but using the one that folds down from the wall. Also, I figured I'd keep the lower berths separated for more room, with my 17 year old son in the room, what's the point of pushing them together anyway? icon_biggrin.gif In any event, thanks for the info.

Robin

Until we sail the Dawn!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2005;2;20;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Glad my information helped. The outsides just aren't that much bigger; if the window isn't that important to you, all you are gaining is a few more drawers and shelves and a door by the toilet. (And the bathrooms are cozy - it's not like two people could easily be in there at the same time even with the door around the toilet!) Like you, I'd be thinking of how that extra money could go towards shore excursions. Now, if you can snag cabin 8562 or 8062 (the forward-most of the obstructed view cabins), you'd find that the view is barely obstructed at all and you'd be getting the advantages of a window at less than the price of a regular outside cabin - that would be tempting.

My question got lost amid the bacon hullaballoo.

How was the basic 2 hour bus tour at Kennedy. You only mentioned the movies and exhibits.

NCL Dawn 6/20/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;6;20;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn 10/04

RCI Voyager of the Seas 7/04

NCL Dawn 6/04

RCI Serenade of the Seas 9/03

Celebrity Galaxy 8/03

Celebrity Horizon 8/02

NCL Sea 7/02

DCL Magic 11/01

NCL Sea 6/01

DCL Magic 11/00

NCL Sky 11/99

NCL Dream 11/94

Home Lines Atlantic 8/88

Chandris Victoria 9/86 Home Lines Oceanic 6/83

When will they put a ski trail on a cruise ship?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> We did not get to dine at LeBistro then, but we are going again this Sept. and it is definately on my to do list!Debbie

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DH and I will be on the Dawn in September also. 9/12 - 9/19. We're very excited about the trip. When will you be going in September?

VoodooDali,

Thanks for the review...lots of good information and inside tips.

I have a question for you regarding the Honeymoon/Anniversary package. I purchased this for my in-laws, as it will be their anniversary on our cruise. My question is this: was the "Romantic dinner for two at Le Bistro" that is included in the package good for the $15 cover charge, or could you order the meals that normally incured a $20 cover without paying extra?

A few words out of this review have sparked some controversy. Here's my opinion, and to borrow a great thought, some of the most amazing, loving people I know are "obese" and I have a wish that these friends and family " Will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the (size) of their skin but by the content of their character." (without leaving the country, that is icon_wink.gif)

I appreciate the time you took to write this part of your review...some neat observations and helpful hints.

[This message was edited by zimmerjulie on 05-12-04 at 06:59 PM.]

cjv6572, I see 8120 is a handicapped cabin. I don't think I saw that particular one, but in general, the handicapped cabins are bigger than non-handicapped in the same category. There's more floor space in the cabin and in the bathroom to allow for movement of a wheelchair.

The obstruction is likely to be pretty complete; you'll be looking at a lifeboat. But you'll get some natural light, and you may be able to see a bit of the promenade deck if you look down.

Have a great cruise!

Joanne, After staring at the schematic and photos of the ship, I see how those most forward of obstructed cabins could let in a lot more light and view, my problem is, I want to be as dead center in the ship as I can, which is where my cabin is now (motion issues!). The obstructed view cabins dead center seemingly will be totally blocked by a boat. Just how much natural light gets in anyway? Also, do you know if either the inside or obstructed view oceanviews have some sort of small couch or chair in them? Believe me, if it were just me and hubby, I'd definitely stick with the inside (I survived 119 sq. ft on Majesty!); with a 17 year old son around, I just keep wondering if 16 or so extra square feet and a couple of shelves will make a tremendous difference!

Until we sail the Dawn!

I've been in obstructed view cabins on other ships, and you get enough light to know when morning comes, and you can tell if it's raining or sunny. If being in an inside doesn't bother you and location does matter, the extra $$$ for that bit of light probably isn't worth it. As I said, it wouldn't give you much more space.

There's a chair at the desk and a stool at the dressing table in the standard outsides and the insides. No couch of any type. I suspect you have to jump to a mini-suite to get something like that.

I raised two sons, and if your son is as big as mine were at 17, I know what your concerns are! But as long as your family has a sense of humor and a desire to make it work, you should be fine in the inside cabin. It might be a good idea to take turns in the cabin for showering and dressing. I did that when I cruised with a girlfriend, and it worked well, giving each of us some time of privacy.

One of my pet peeves about the Star and the Dawn is the refrigerator in these smaller cabins. With 3 in a cabin, I'm sure you'd rather have the storage space. Maybe you could turn it off and store your underwear in there!

Joanne--I'm thinking that I'll just stay put, and store my husband and son's underwear in the refrigerator icon_eek.gif. That will get even for all the aggrivation they give me! Thanks again for the info!

Until we sail the Dawn!

Archived