HILO+getting a cab?

nygirl07

Does anyone know if it's easy to obtain a cab in Hilo. We will be on a cruise and there are a few places I was told to go by my cousin who just returned from Hawaii. He said the botanical gardens then Akaka fall, Rainbow falls and the fleamarket to shop. We will not be renting a car and we need to know how easy it is to get a cab. Also will they wait for you at some of the places we visit like the two water falls b/c we will only be there for 5 minutes. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rainbow Falls is just a short walk from the parking lot and just on the outskirts of Hilo, but Akaka Falls is a pretty good distance north of Hilo, somehow eighteen miles sticks in my mind, but it may not be that far. However from it's parking lot, the falls are about 1/2 a mile away. in all about a mile hike. I would imagine a cab would be happy to wait for you. There are usually several at the port.

Yeah, you can get a cab but like bug_dan said, Akaka Falls is a bit further and it takes 15 minutes minimum to walk the course. I would imagine that on your vacation, you'd want to enjoy the scenery a bit instead of rushing. The Botanical Gardens (there are two, but I think your cousin was refering to the one north of Hilo) is kind of on the way to Akaka Falls, and again, you'll want to spend sometime there. Cabs are legally required to keep the meter running but you might get lucky with a crooked one :).

Another option is the tour operators that are also at the pier, you'd just have to tell them what you want and get a rate that you'll be able to live with.

Archived