boat yard barbados

luladoo

Hi, Can anyone tell me if you can snorkel to see turtles from the beach at the boat yard. Usually go to paynes bay on the bus for this but after reading about the boatyard, thought we might have a change of plan. I guess someone will take you to see turtles on a boat for a price but just wondered are there any right from the beach at the boatyard.

We have just got back. We got the bus up to Mullins Bay which is a few stops further up than Paynes and much nicer. Someone was offering a trip to see the turtles from there. Both Paynes and Mullins are a lot nicer than the Boatyard and I don't think there are any trips to see turtles from the Boatyard, it's too far. Love that bus trip up the coast for one dollar.

After reading very rave reviews we went to the Boatyard last year and I must say I was a little disappointed! It is an 'ok' nice beach and the sun beds etc had definitely seen better days. It just didn't live up to my expectations and I'm sure there are nicer beaches you can go to without paying. No way can you see the turtles from this beach.

Thanks, I thought the boatyard looked a bit tacky but wondered if it would be a more suitable day for our son, iceberg rope swing. will stick to plan a and bus up the west coast again. Jet ski will keep him happy i am sure.

we went to folkestone beach,.... perhaps a little further out (we got a taxi)

but a great beach, and there are several guys doing snorkling with the turtles, and feeding the fishes, accompanied by rum/fruit punch on the return trip.

We have done this twice now, and you can always negotiate your price

with them, and also how long you want to go for, and they are also really nice guys, who genuinely want you to enjoy and make the most of your trip.

We visited The Boatyard beach in Carlisle Bay recently and thought it was very nice indeed with really nice beds and good thick mattresses on them too. Maybe some people have been looking at the Lobster Alive area next door which is nowhere near as nice, very overrated. The ship's entertainers and other crew all use The Boatyard, a recommendation in itself. People were coming along the beach quite frequently asking if anyone was interested in trips out into the bay to swim with the turtles but they didn't seem to go out that far and it wasn't very expensive either although I cannot recall the exact amount of the charge.

Its easy to walk to The Boatyard beach too. Hope this might help! :)

• 4 weeks later...
We have just got back. We got the bus up to Mullins Bay which is a few stops further up than Paynes and much nicer. Someone was offering a trip to see the turtles from there. Both Paynes and Mullins are a lot nicer than the Boatyard and I don't think there are any trips to see turtles from the Boatyard, it's too far. Love that bus trip up the coast for one dollar.

Wheredo you catch this bus and how do you know which one to get?

You just walk out of the cruise terminal, walk across the road and follow the road (with the sea on your right), past the craft market and there is the bus station. The bus goes from stand 6 and there are loads of them, with plenty of cunductors around giving info. Just ask the driver to tell you when you get to the right bus top, even if you miss it the bus stops are only about 50 yards apart. The passengers on the buses will also tell you. Going back the bus stop is just across the road from the beach club slightly to the right and the bus will wait for anyone they see walking towards the stop. Have a small bottle of water handy for the return trip as it can get a bit hot and stuffy. It is great fun as they play reggae music all the way. Look out for the bus station as you approach the ship, it is on the right just before you turn off to the ship.

You just walk out of the cruise terminal, walk across the road and follow the road (with the sea on your right), past the craft market and there is the bus station. The bus goes from stand 6 and there are loads of them, with plenty of cunductors around giving info. Just ask the driver to tell you when you get to the right bus top, even if you miss it the bus stops are only about 50 yards apart. The passengers on the buses will also tell you. Going back the bus stop is just across the road from the beach club slightly to the right and the bus will wait for anyone they see walking towards the stop. Have a small bottle of water handy for the return trip as it can get a bit hot and stuffy. It is great fun as they play reggae music all the way. Look out for the bus station as you approach the ship, it is on the right just before you turn off to the ship.

Four of us went to the Boatyard just last week (17th Feb 2012).

We walked out of the cruise terminal to the taxi rank and shared a minibus type taxi with some other people. $3.00 US each.

Entrance to the Boatyard was $12.00 US each. For that you get a sunbed, parasol and a drink. The drink cost about $8.00 US so $4.00 US for sunbed and parasol isn't bad.

The sunbed was a bit tired and worn. The beach was lovely fine white sand.

At times an alarm is sounded and people come to the bar and get free shots. Food is available too.

There were some people walking along the beach offering jet ski rides, swimming with turtles. There was also a pier with a rope swing. There was also ocean trampolines.

We enjoyed ourselves. I'm sure you will too.

Mike

• 2 years later...

We walked from the cruise terminal up to the beach. Probably a half hour stroll. Just keep as near the sea as the road allows, past the fish market, along the boardwalk, over the bridge at the marina, a block or two of little shops and turn right down to the beach as soon as you can. If you get there early, at the beginning of the beach, you may be lucky enough to see racehorses being exercised in the sea. A little further on, you reach the Boatyard. We decided against stopping there as it seemed a bit noisy. Further on, we found quieter sunbeds and umbrellas.

I have twice taken a local boat from the beach for snorkelling. They take you out to a little wreck which is teeming with fish. The turtles are around too. I saw four or five this time. Well worth the $25 dollars and only a minute or two out from the beach. But I don't think it is near enough to swim to. At least I didn't see any individual swimmers out that far.

We visited the boatyard in December

Very enjoyable day great drinks

We ate at lobster alive which is almost next door

Boatyard very busy wait times long but it was announced warning people

Swimming with turtles is free if you got your own snorkels boat trips are a con you don't need a boat

Facing the sea to left a short walk past lobster alive & swim out its a short distance you will see where the boats are & where people are snorkelling

It's an easy swim lots of fish & turtles

Swimming with turtles is free if you got your own snorkels boat trips are a con you don't need a boat

Facing the sea to left a short walk past lobster alive & swim out its a short distance you will see where the boats are & where people are snorkelling

It's an easy swim lots of fish & turtles

Ok, I shall try it next time:)...if you think it is an easy swim...do you use fins?

Four of us went to the Boatyard just last week (17th Feb 2012).

We walked out of the cruise terminal to the taxi rank and shared a minibus type taxi with some other people. $3.00 US each.

Entrance to the Boatyard was $12.00 US each. For that you get a sunbed, parasol and a drink. The drink cost about $8.00 US so $4.00 US for sunbed and parasol isn't bad.

The sunbed was a bit tired and worn. The beach was lovely fine white sand.

At times an alarm is sounded and people come to the bar and get free shots. Food is available too.

There were some people walking along the beach offering jet ski rides, swimming with turtles. There was also a pier with a rope swing. There was also ocean trampolines.

We enjoyed ourselves. I'm sure you will too.

Mike

Don't forget that entry price into the Boatyard also includes a complimentary taxi back to the port