self assisted debarkation

Candie

SOOOO glad I read this! We have always put the bags out the night before and waited to be called. Last cruise our brand new bag (gift from the in-laws) looked like it had been run over by a tank! Even the metal rivets had been popped out and were missing!

NO I DO NOT BLAME CARNIVAL, and I know these things happen when you're handling about 10,000 bags in a few hours, but my husband is ready, willing and able to carry our big bags, and I'll manage the rest.

btw, Carnival had already pulled our bag aside and did re-imburse us for the bag. I LOVE Carnival and always feel like I'm in good hands with their customer service.

I would really like to use the Luggage Express feature on our next cruise. Now this is probably a question that I know the answer to but just want to confirm. SO PLEASE NO FLAMES.

We want to use Luggage Express-so we can handle the rest of our bags, so then I could do self-debark with just our carry ons. Correct?

We don't want to fool with our luggage any more than necessary, so Luggage Express sounds like it would be a good idea and we would be able to take the earlier flight out of Miami. (12:55 p.m.)

Silent debarkation= times for each area(port forward-upper deck,etc) meets at the elevator @ 7:00 am. Only forward elevators are usable. All others are disabled. No announcements are made over the PA system. Everyone is "supposed" to leave at their assigned time but whether they do is up to them. No one is going to make you walk the plank because you didn't go at your assigned time.;)

Silent debarkation= times for each area(port forward-upper deck,etc) meets at the elevator @ 7:00 am. Only forward elevators are usable. All others are disabled. No announcements are made over the PA system. Everyone is "supposed" to leave at their assigned time but whether they do is up to them. No one is going to make you walk the plank because you didn't go at your assigned time.;)

Was this for the Fantasy out of Charleston? We are going to try and do self deparkation for our cruise in March because we're hoping to catch a 10 am train instead of waiting for the 10 pm train. I was curious if they had any specifications on bag size like the dream apparently does?

I read that we HAVE to check 1 of our bags because of the shuttle. I'm not thrilled about that because we always take our luggage ourselves just in case something were to happen. We're taking 1-24 inch suitcase and 1-21 inch suitcase. He'll have a backpack and I'll most likely have a tote bag. More than easy enough to handle ourselves but I don't know if they're going to have a fuss about the bag being larger than airline carry-on standards.

We did self assist on the Splendor a couple weeks ago. We wanted to get off the ship early, and we did, it was very quick. I don't remember hearing anything about what groups you had to leave in, but we needed to be out of our rooms by 8:30.

Hi everyone -- this is my first day on cruise critic.... my question is more opposite of what's posted here -- I have to make a 9:40 am flight... I know it is tight tight tight and maybe not even possible.

If the ship clears customs and begins debarking @8, is it best for us to do 'self assist'? does that mean we keep our bags with us?

Thanks for clarifying.... In the past we had lots of time, so am not sure what the terms are to be off in the first group.

RC, Serenade SJU 2/4/12 - 2/11/12

Hi everyone -- this is my first day on cruise critic.... my question is more opposite of what's posted here -- I have to make a 9:40 am flight... I know it is tight tight tight and maybe not even possible.

If the ship clears customs and begins debarking @8, is it best for us to do 'self assist'? does that mean we keep our bags with us?

Thanks for clarifying.... In the past we had lots of time, so am not sure what the terms are to be off in the first group.

We were the first group off in Ft. Lauderdale and we made it to the airport in like 10 minutes. It can be done but I wouldn't recommend it. Too many things that could go wrong..

I wouldn't have chanced that, especially when flying recommends you getting there like 2 hours ahead of time. I personally was nervous about making a 10 train which doesn't require arriving earlier than maybe 15 minutes and knowing I'd be taking my own luggage off.

However, it sounds like it's already booked and there's nothing that can be done so I recommend absolutely doing self assist. We only did zones on our first cruise and trying to find our luggage and then standing in long lines took over an hour, then we waited 20 minutes for a taxi. On the other cruises we've taken our own stuff off and have been in taxis 10 minutes or less after getting off the ship. On the Freedom in FLL they called our deck much sooner than I anticipated and we were in a taxi by 6:30 am even though I think it said deboarding started at 8. Hopefully you will get lucky and can get off before 8. When you take your own stuff off, there's usually not as many passengers getting off and custom lines are shorter. The first time we did this there was nobody in line for customs.

Good luck!

Archived