Birth Certificate situation- advice?

ohitssunshine

I have read so many instances described on here in regards to using a birth certificate instead of a passport. We have taken our kids on 2 cruises now, with all 5 of us using birth certificates, paired with a state ID for the kids. We have never had a problem, and these took place out of Miami and Tampa.

Now, since I had an issue with my recent RCI cruise, I am a little nervous. They needed my marriage certificate to show my name change from birth certificate to license.

So now, my son has his dad listed on his BC, and this is not my husband. He has never even met his dad, does not know anything about this guy at all. (I know that is a whole different discussion for a different time and place!)

So now after my incident, I have been reading more about using BC's so I can be prepared for our upcoming cruise in 15 days to make sure we don't have another issue. And now I am seeing people needing notarized letters from the other parent.

I don't even know if this guy is alive!? If I cannot find him to get such a letter, what else could I do?

Where will you be cruising too. I know Mexico is a little stricter or at least I heard the were. Do you have any legal paperwork at all showing you have full custody.

I have been remarried and cruised with my husband with my child from my ex-husband and she had a different last name. We were fortunate enough to get a letter signed by my ex but was never asked for it. I know that does not give you any reinsurance because what if they did ask in your case. My daughter however was questioned by customs but nothing formal just saying in a joking way you don't know who these people are do you and she said thats my mother and all was good. How old is your son?

I sure hope someone on here will be able to provide you with the answer you need. Have you called Carnival and talked to them? Depending on who you get you could get a couple different answers. Make sure you write down the name of anyone at Carnival you speak too.

I leave Saturday for my cruise and don't have a copy of my marriage license ... hope they don't ask me.

Hi,. I really believe your son's birth certificate will be fine, just make sure it is the LEGAL stamped one, not a hospital copy.. Most everyone suggests passports, which we have , because it is so much more handy and you disembark more quickly. The big issue is , if you get stuck somewhere and have to fly, you can't. You will also need your marriage license along with your birth certificate, as well. Have a great cruise.

Hi,. I really believe your son's birth certificate will be fine, just make sure it is the LEGAL stamped one, not a hospital copy.. Most everyone suggests passports, which we have , because it is so much more handy and you disembark more quickly. The big issue is , if you get stuck somewhere and have to fly, you can't. You will also need your marriage license along with your birth certificate, as well. Have a great cruise.

without BOTH parents present. Have you looked into your husband adopting the child? They would attempt to locate dad and if no response, I think that essentially waives his rights to the child.

I've never had the issue with the marriage certificate, but my driver's license has my first name, maiden name, last name so maybe that is why.

Regarding your son I don't know. The last 2 cruises that I have been on I had a notarized letter/consent to travel signed by their dad and wasn't asked about it either time. I also took a minor child who wasn't mine and I was never asked for a consent to traveln (even though I had it).

I'm leaving Sunday and have a consent to travel as it is better to be safe than sorry but in your case I do not know. You shouldn't have a problem.

I am in a similar situation, although in my case, I do happen to have the letter of consent. In Quebec, we have no public notary so to get this consent letter notarized would cost about 70$ for my daughter and another 70$ for my BF's kids. This is the info I found for the *legal requirements* of required documents when a child travels with just one parent.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2JUaHFZeE9r/~/traveling-with-children---minors-under-18-years-of-age-traveling-to-another

They "strongly recommend" you have a letter of consent and they "suggest" it be notarized. There is no "must" or "obligated to" and while certainly helpfull they are not legally required.

I hear Mexico has different laws but never had a problem 2 years ago (had the letter, no one asked) but each country might have different requirements. You may want to google the requirements to enter the Bahamas and see if they are any different.

Having said all that, the guy at customs holds the big end of the stick. Regardless of what the actual rules are, they have the power to make your life very difficult even if they are wrong and there's not a lot you can do about it. Luckily for you, you are a US citizen, leaving the US so you don't have to speak to anyone from customs til you are done with your cruise !! (unlike us Canadians - US customs is the very first thing we do on vacation after the airline check-in counter)

Hope that helps !

Julie

I am in a similar situation, although in my case, I do happen to have the letter of consent. In Quebec, we have no public notary so to get this consent letter notarized would cost about 70$ for my daughter and another 70$ for my BF's kids. This is the info I found for the *legal requirements* of required documents when a child travels with just one parent.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/related/1/session/L2F2LzEvc2lkL2JUaHFZeE9r/~/traveling-with-children---minors-under-18-years-of-age-traveling-to-another

They "strongly recommend" you have a letter of consent and they "suggest" it be notarized. There is no "must" or "obligated to" and while certainly helpfull they are not legally required.

I hear Mexico has different laws but never had a problem 2 years ago (had the letter, no one asked) but each country might have different requirements. You may want to google the requirements to enter the Bahamas and see if they are any different.

Having said all that, the guy at customs holds the big end of the stick. Regardless of what the actual rules are, they have the power to make your life very difficult even if they are wrong and there's not a lot you can do about it. Luckily for you, you are a US citizen, leaving the US so you don't have to speak to anyone from customs til you are done with your cruise !! (unlike us Canadians - US customs is the very first thing we do on vacation after the airline check-in counter)

Hope that helps !

Julie

Thank you Julie- that kind of gives me a big sigh of relief to be honest! And the funny thing is- you are the second person to mention Mexico having rules a bit more harsh, and we took them there the first two times with no problem! I have been so lucky with no problems at all, until sailing with RCI this past time. But waiting in the terminal hoping for a fax to show up- and that being the one thing standing between you and vacation (and a loss on all expenses...) ugh... I do not want to feel that again!!

If you travel out of country it would be wise to get passports. Yes, you can use BC/DL, but really, a passport for US is good for 10 years and is never questioned and comes in handy if you have to leave the ship at any port other than homeport..

Thank you- I know this. Unfortunately it is something that is easily put off year after year and we only think about it when it's like oh crap...we were going to spend a grand getting the family passports...

If you travel out of country it would be wise to get passports. Yes, you can use BC/DL, but really, a passport for US is good for 10 years and is never questioned and comes in handy if you have to leave the ship at any port other than homeport..

For minors in the U.S. a passport is good for 5 years, adults are 10.

I also travel with a BC/DL and have never had a problem. When my kids were younger I always had a letter from their father but was never asked for it.

Only one time was I questioned about my last name – maiden on BC – married on DL – and that was on a RCCL – I know the screeners work for the port but I have never had a problem on a Carnival cruise.

I have read several posts recently about traveling with children when both parents aren't present. Everybody on the other boards strongly felt anyone in your situation should get the proper documents. One tip given was to go to the courthouse and they can basically give you a letter giving you permission to travel with your child.

I also travel with a BC/DL and have never had a problem. When my kids were younger I always had a letter from their father but was never asked for it.

Only one time was I questioned about my last name – maiden on BC – married on DL – and that was on a RCCL – I know the screeners work for the port but I have never had a problem on a Carnival cruise.

Unfortunately OP can run into that Carnival employee who is going to be a stickler for the rules. I brought my kids to Canada on a day trip and I caught hell trying to come back in the country with them. The Canadian officials didn't ask for anything, but when I was coming back, US customs gave me terrible grief about it. They questioned the kids about whether I was really their father and if they went willingly.

A copy of any judgment or else statement from the court will suffice instead of trying to go find the father.

Thank you- I know this. Unfortunately it is something that is easily put off year after year and we only think about it when it's like oh crap...we were going to spend a grand getting the family passports...

If you wanted to compromise, a passport card is only $40 for minors. Too late for this trip, but might make things smoother in the future. We all know a passport book is best, but a passport card could make sense if you think your son will be cruising again but not flying internationally in the next 5 years. It works out to $8/year compared to $21/year for a minor's passport.

We are taking dd'sfriend with us....her parents are divorced and we got notarized letters from both parents giving permission to travel. We did this because it is what it says you have to have on the travel.gov website an on the documents from our travel agent. Don't know if we'll need it or if anyone will ask for it, but figured it was better safe than sorry!

Do you have a judgment or other court documents showing that you have sole custody?

No- we never had a custody issue. He was gone before the baby was born. The only reason he was put onto the birth certificate was because I had to file papers through the state for insurance and they forced a DNA test and refiled birth certificate. He has never paid child support, or even seen the kid!

I have read several posts recently about traveling with children when both parents aren't present. Everybody on the other boards strongly felt anyone in your situation should get the proper documents. One tip given was to go to the courthouse and they can basically give you a letter giving you permission to travel with your child.

I wonder what court? I believe he is still in NY, and I am now in FL.

If you wanted to compromise, a passport card is only $40 for minors. Too late for this trip, but might make things smoother in the future. We all know a passport book is best, but a passport card could make sense if you think your son will be cruising again but not flying internationally in the next 5 years. It works out to $8/year compared to $21/year for a minor's passport.

Thank you- I will look into it :)

Unfortunately for OP, the passport application is going to require both parents listed on the birth certificate. In fact, both parents have to be present when submitting the application, or the absent parent has to sign a notarized document authorizing the passport.

If in fact, biological dad is not in the childs life, it may save OP a lot of grief to go through the legal process to sever his parental rights. The downside is, if the child doesnt know his step-dad isnt his real dad, it could be detrimental for the child. Either way, the child will find out eventually, the first time he reads his BC himself.

Actually you do not need both parents present to get a passport for the child. If the father is absent you can include a notarized letter from yourself that explains the situation. On the State Department website under passport information there is even a form you can download to write your letter on and have notarized. You will then get a call from the passport office to answer any questions they may have about the situation. The passport will be approved in most cases.

I know because this is exactly what happened for my sister. My niece's bio father has not been seen in 5 years. We have had no problems traveling to Europe with her passport.

Archived