Before You Cruise - Timeline Checklist

croozluv

Thank you Dale's wife for posting your 19 page list. I am also a list maker and I appreciate how much work went into it. I am always worrying I will forget something while cruising that I can't get on the ship. Thanks again!

I'm sorry, 6 page list. At this time your list had 19 views.

Thank you Dale's wife for posting your 19 page list. I am also a list maker and I appreciate how much work went into it. I am always worrying I will forget something while cruising that I can't get on the ship. Thanks again!

I'm sorry, 6 page list. At this time your list had 19 views.

Great list! Thanks for sharing. There are two things I would either add or modify. Since I'm a guy, I wouldn't be getting a pedicure. But, if I needed to get a haircut, I would get it about a week prior to departure so that I wouldn't have that fresh cut look when we head out for our cruise. Along with making sure the house alarm is set, wouldn't it be a good idea to contact the alarm company to let them know there won't be anyone at home, in case you have any "uninvited visitors"?

The lesson we learned, in a very hard way, last year was to make sure we have all important documents available electronically, in additon to paper copies. I had obsessively compiled a file folder of reservations (including alot of things we didn't necessarily need, but most importantly confirmations for 6 nights pre and post cruise in Orlando hotels, and our travel insurance information). This file was hidden in the hotel room while we were out and was "mysteriously" lost (we think removed, stolen, etc). Fellow OCD'ers, imagine the panic!!

We had most of the info available through either DH's blackberry or on our computer at home, accessed remotely after we called a friend to go to our house and turn on the computer. But, we had not received an email confirmation from the insurer, only a paper copy via mail. So hours before the cruise we were on our cell, long distance, trying to find contact information and get our policy number and emergency phone numbers for the company, just in case.

This time I will be making sure that I have all confirmations organized in one file on our computer, and sending them to DH's blackberry. I already have a note on the computer reminding us to leave it on when we leave on our cruise... in 77 days!!

You have created a great list for cruisers! I would suggest for the category "Morning of Departure" that you add 'turn off the phone ringer' and 'turn off the water main'. My husband and I do both as added precautions while we are out of town. It's always better to be safe.

The lesson we learned, in a very hard way, last year was to make sure we have all important documents available electronically, in additon to paper copies. I had obsessively compiled a file folder of reservations (including alot of things we didn't necessarily need, but most importantly confirmations for 6 nights pre and post cruise in Orlando hotels, and our travel insurance information). This file was hidden in the hotel room while we were out and was "mysteriously" lost (we think removed, stolen, etc). Fellow OCD'ers, imagine the panic!!

We had most of the info available through either DH's blackberry or on our computer at home, accessed remotely after we called a friend to go to our house and turn on the computer. But, we had not received an email confirmation from the insurer, only a paper copy via mail. So hours before the cruise we were on our cell, long distance, trying to find contact information and get our policy number and emergency phone numbers for the company, just in case.

This time I will be making sure that I have all confirmations organized in one file on our computer, and sending them to DH's blackberry. I already have a note on the computer reminding us to leave it on when we leave on our cruise... in 77 days!!

That is terrible about losing your copies! One cool ap that I downloaded for my phone is called "Evernote". You can create all kinds of searchable information. For instance, I attached both of the great lists provided here. Then, you can sync it with your home computer, smart phone and tablet. All of the information wil be available electronically in any of those places. Happy cruising!

Great list. I work for the bank that I have my credit and debit card through. A friend of mine works in the Fraud dept. I call him on the phone and have him add the notations for my, then I go into my acct details and verify that he did it correctly.

Also, anything that I have to print for the cruise, I also have in Google Docs. That way if I leave them somewhere, I just need to find a hotel with a free business center or a kinkos and reprint.

• 1 month later...
I had no idea about the OJ!! Going to have to check that out on our cruise next week--thanks!!
Gah! Just back from the Legend and the OJ was DEFINITELY removed everyday around 11 am. Nuts! All of that info was from reading here on CC, and that must have been one of the older tips. Or possible ship-specific. If fact, there were quite a few things that didn't hold true, possibly they were old policies. I will try to post an updated TIPS section this week.

Great list! You might want to change the tipping section - it is now $11.50/day, up from $10. J
Done!

one thing I have on my timeline list is to hook up timers to a few lights so it looks like we are home. I also leave a key with a trusted neighbor
We do the same and I was running around the morning of departure trying to get a key to my neighbor because it wasn't on my list! It's added and thank you!

I always do that when I fly, too. Not sure if it really serves any purpose, but I always just think it couldn't hurt to have it!

I *have to* make lists....I get far too busy and would forget everything! My kennel is an extension of my vets office so they have that already....But I'm not sure if that's the case for our friends. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add it!

Great list! I hope you had a wonderful cruise!!

The copy of passports is a great idea- much safer to bring a copy of your pasport when leaving the ship for an excursion...and to leave the actual one in your safe back in the cabin.

Great reminder about making sure our furry children are up to date on shots! My regular vet said the kennel cough was good for 12 months, but our boarding place requires a new shot every 6 months. So- appointment has now been made for my big Newfie puppy to get her updated kennel cough next week so she'll be good to go when we drop her off 3/31. thanks again for the reminder OP and all who posted. :)

I am list maker also- with 2 kids, FT work, activities, etc- I'd forget my head if it wasn't attached! I need lists to function! LOL!! :)

Enjoyed the list but wondered why you need to put your toothbrush in the safe?

I was wondering about that, too! Do the stewards come in and do naughty things with them? :p Also, saw "dog bones" listed a couple of times. What is that?

This is a great list. My family and I are cruising later this year and most of them are all first timers. I will be sending out this list of reminders to everyone. (In parts because I don't want to overwhelm them)

I'm hoping this will spark a love of cruising for our family.

Archived