Can Princess keep giving free internet to Platinums?

SpeakerOfMind

We are Platinum and our cruise next week will be our 14th! We tried to fit in some coastals to bring us up to Elite, but it never worked out. :( I will say though, as 50 somethings, our internet bill is usually about $150 to $200 per cruise. ;) I use it strictly for personal e-mail and try to be quick when there is a line for the terminals. My family says I should write a journal on a cruise, but I use e-mails instead. That's my journal.

I envision a future when internet will get so cheap that it will be available in every cabin, just like a TV. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know how many computers are available on the Grand? My upcoming cruise is the first as CC platinum and I will use the internet access, but I don't know how many computers (hardwired) there actually are on the ship.

J

Just a quick bit of math on this one. . .

If you compare the actual cost of providing these services (internet, laundry, etc) for Princess to the charges - or value to the cruiser - you would find that the markups are enormous:eek: . I would also wager that none of those services are used to their full capacity so they have computers, washers and dryers and drycleaning equipment sitting idly by without being used. If they can use that excess capacity, with little or no add'l cost, to draw repeat cruisers they are just being plain smart (think of nights and weekends for free with your cell phone - uses the excess phone lines, etc when the heavy users (i.e. businesses) are not and they attract consumers).

Also, the actual cost per passenger is probably so low that the benefit of providing these services is miniscule compared to the fares charged.

All in all, it seems Princess has created some nice amenities for their loyal cruisers that seem very well received and the "real" cost to them is minimal. I doubt they would reduce those perks.

For those of you on your 200th day of cruising. . . I salute you. I also hope to catch up to you:D .

Happy cruising!

Archived