What to do while in the Cayman Islands

Roberta Kimball

Do not try to take a taxi to Rum Point. It is 45 minutes and $80 from the port area, and there will be no taxis in the vicinity for the return trip unless you pre-arrange one. The only feasible ways to get to Rum Point are either with an excursion or via rental car.

Fair point perhaps for cruise passengers - I was on a long stay vacation with family - maybe fares increase on cruise days but it never cost us that much to get up to Rum Point. For car rental Avis drop off cars near where you tender and do special packs for cruise passengers....

http://www.aviscayman.com/cruise.htm

Fair point perhaps for cruise passengers - I was on a long stay vacation with family - maybe fares increase on cruise days but it never cost us that much to get up to Rum Point.

$72 US is the fare from the airport to Rum Point. Add tip and you get $80. The fare from the port or SMB areas should be much the same, since taxis there operate on a zone system rather than meters.

I take taxis between the airport and our house at Rum Point at least half a dozen times a year, and have done so every year for at least the last 5 or 6 years. (The most recent trip was a couple of weeks ago, on January 8, from Rum Point to the airport, and it was still $72 plus tip.)

Some trips we rent a car for the arrival/departure days, since it's much cheaper and easier than a taxi, but that's mainly on trips where we have multiple drivers or too many people to fit in our car...or on trips where we're pressed for time and don't want to have to rely on a taxi showing up on time.

We have a tour booked through rccl for 10:20am, ship arrives 10:00. Is island time same as ship time? I've read that they will wait for people, but 20 minutes does not seem possible.

You could not even take the tender in 20 minutes. I bet 10:20 is when your group meets somewhere on the ship like the theater or lounge. Then you probably go as group to the tenders.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived