Confused and Needing to purchase a camera.

Rainbowfalls

FYI: The Sony NEX body is actually smaller than any of the micro 4/3 cameras and the Canon G1x? You may have confused the NEX with the Alpha fixed-mirror SLT camera bodies. It is actually only slightly larger than the Nikon J1 despite having an APS-C sensor which is 3x as large as the J1's CX format and 1.6x larger than 4/3 sensors. There is also a misconception that the NEX lenses are larger than most of their 4/3 counterparts. Except for a few pancakes and the new 14-42 collapsible from Panasonic, they are almost exactly the same size and only appear larger because of the tiny body.

Here is a photo of my NEX5 compared to my HX5V P&S.

DSC01533A.jpg

Jacket pocketable!

I have found the NEX to be a great alternative to my DSLR in situations where I want to keep the image quality of the larger camera but don't want to lug the whole kit around.

Dave

I took a close look at both systems late last year when I was shopping. Had the NEX-7 been available at the time, there's a good chance I might have gone that way, despite its high price. What swayed me towards 4/3 though was the better lens selection, and some killer deals being offered on the GH2 at the time. Either of these systems, as well as the Nikon 1 series, offer a GREAT alternative to the more bulky DSLR systems, and IMO make much better cameras for travel. My bag, even when carrying around all of my new gear, is unbelievably light and compact.

I took a close look at both systems late last year when I was shopping. Had the NEX-7 been available at the time, there's a good chance I might have gone that way, despite its high price. What swayed me towards 4/3 though was the better lens selection, and some killer deals being offered on the GH2 at the time. Either of these systems, as well as the Nikon 1 series, offer a GREAT alternative to the more bulky DSLR systems, and IMO make much better cameras for travel. My bag, even when carrying around all of my new gear, is unbelievably light and compact.

It looks like Sony was overwhelmed by demand for the cameras and simultaneously by the complaints about the lens selection. They have introduced several excellent options with 7 more due in the next year. Sigma and Tamron are rolling some out as well. Even Rokinon has a compact 8mm fisheye in E-mount. Heck, an adapted manual lens is easy to use since they added focus peaking.

As much as I like my NEX-5, I may sell it and get a NEX-7 later this year. That body with the Zeiss E-mount 24mm f/1.8 prime or the new 50mm f/1.8 puts "medium format" in your pocket!

With all the options out there, it is a great time to be a photographer!

Dave

Archived