Planning Already!

nyyhoneybee

We aren't leaving until August, but we are starting to plan!

We have 2 ports of call in France, Provence & Cannes (just switched today!).

Is there a place that we can do a bike tour in one of these? We aren't sure what we will be doing in either port so any advice would be great.

"Provence" is not a city. It's the name of a whole area in the South-East of France (it's similar to saying "one of my port of call is Florida"). Cannes is actually in Provence.

Do you have something more specific than "Provence" to identify your port of call?

We aren't leaving until August, but we are starting to plan!

We have 2 ports of call in France, Provence & Cannes (just switched today!).

Is there a place that we can do a bike tour in one of these? We aren't sure what we will be doing in either port so any advice would be great.

Do some reading on these boards and get some books from the library to do some reading re your ports or use Google...it will help you a lot and then you can post specific on the board.

"Provence" is not a city. It's the name of a whole area in the South-East of France (it's similar to saying "one of my port of call is Florida"). Cannes is actually in Provence.

Do you have something more specific than "Provence" to identify your port of call?

It says Provence (Marseille) and then Cannes as a separate stop

It says Provence (Marseille) and then Cannes as a separate stop

Marseille is the name of the port/town where you will dock.It opens up to the area that is known as Provence(region).There is a lot of good info on this board regarding the port/the area/tous,and towns to visit while you are here.You can do a serach on ths boardback on some of the pages.

We rented a car and drove to Aix-en-Provence for lunch and exploring, then to Cassis on the ocean, whch was utterly charming. I have always wanted to visit Les Baux, which is nearby, haven't made it there yet. Avignon and Arles are also beautiful and very historic cities.

From Nice, we took the bus to St. Paul de Vence and also Vence, which were very interesting. Vence has a chapel built by Matisse with some of his original art--we enjoyed that a lot. Not sure if that would be feasible from your ports. There is really so much to see there--you are lucky to have two port days to explore. We have been multiple times and still have barely scratched the surface.

Is it possible to do some exploring by bike in either of these ports? Neither one of us knows much about these ports, but we are spending 3 days in Italy before which I am sure it will be jam packed days, so I am looking maybe for some activities that will be a little more laid back but still a lot of fun and getting to see at least some of both ports.

Thanks for the input so far!

Is it possible to do some exploring by bike in either of these ports? Neither one of us knows much about these ports, but we are spending 3 days in Italy before which I am sure it will be jam packed days, so I am looking maybe for some activities that will be a little more laid back but still a lot of fun and getting to see at least some of both ports.

Thanks for the input so far!

If I were you, looking to do some biking in and around these ports,I would Google this info as you are apt to find some info there.Marseille is an area where you may want to do some homework on what you can see in this are as it is really afun area to see and explore. Les Baux would be ideal for a short day trip as it is an old Roamn ruin now an artist colony.Avignon is a fairly large city with the old walled city and the Palais du Pape as it 's center.

If I were you, looking to do some biking in and around these ports,I would Google this info as you are apt to find some info there.Marseille is an area where you may want to do some homework on what you can see in this are as it is really afun area to see and explore. Les Baux would be ideal for a short day trip as it is an old Roamn ruin now an artist colony.Avignon is a fairly large city with the old walled city and the Palais du Pape as it 's center.

Thanks. My travel agent told me we should try to see Eze if we can. I need to do some major research.

Thanks. My travel agent told me we should try to see Eze if we can. I need to do some major research.

Yes, doing some really good research will help you. Eze would be done from Cannes. There is literally a ton of info on this board re Cannes and what to see from this port.Eze is a hilltp town and smallish very crowded in season...just an FYI.There is a lot and I mean a lot to see from Cannes as well as Cannes itself.

When we went to Monaco last year we booked a trip with sylvie Di Cristo http://www.frenchrivieraguides.net/about-us-sylvie-di-cristo.html

She took us to Nice, Eze and St Paul's it was a great day and well worth it... she would do the same trip out of Cannes no problems... She had us straight to Eze before the first of the princess busses started turning up....

here is a link to our blog with some pictures...

http://gaznjosworldcruise2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/monaco-nice-and-easy-or-should-i-say_14.html

http://gaznjosworldcruise2011.blogspot.com/2011/07/monaco-nice-and-easy-or-should-i-say.html

Archived