Silver Explorer West Africa October 2012

Cicciabella

We are considering the Oct 3-13 West Africa itinerary. Haven't seen much feedback on the Silver Explorer or cruising West Africa; I know this ship used to be Prince Albert and is the one currently running in Antarctica. Anyone have any feedback? We are always looking for routes that are "off the beaten path" and this one surely fits the bill.

We were among the fortunate few who experienced Prince Albert ll/Silver Explorer's West Africa trip last year. The "Voyage Journal" (a daily diary written by the ship's expedition team) is on-line here;

http://www.silversea.com/expeditions/voyage-journals/?voyagejournal=7107&voyage=

A part of that voyage included several of the ports on the itinerary you are looking at.

We visited several places which I only knew as blank pages in the stamp album I kept as a boy.

Stop considering!

Sloopjohnb

We love, love, love Silversea, but have never been on the Explorer - though we are chomping at the bit to do Antartica.

Takoradi is quite a jaunt, given the road conditions and mileage, to either the Elminia or Cape Coast Castles. Each of these are amazingly remarkable for their historical significance - you do get the chance to see what African slaves experienced, including the 'door of no return.' The Elmina Beach Resort - nice view - but the beach is all rocks, and expensive food.

If you get a chance, go to the market in Mankesim - the main one is on Tuesday and you are coming in on Thursday, but - do it, it's still open - Mankesim is the best possible option for a real - live - African -market!! Mankesim also has a nice hotel - up a horrible lane, but a nice resort with a decent pool!

When you go by Saltpond, which you will do on any of the Explorer's excursions - give a wave to Southern Ghana Bible College - our family lived there for a long time!!!

Cicciabella, you've done the right thing!

Please explain, though. When you say "Now we just have to figure out how to get there and back, with a complicated itinerary of stops along the way" , does that mean you are choosing to go by a circuitous route (perhaps to extend your vacation)or that you expect there will be no alternative? Out of curiosity, I checked on skyscanner and was amazed to see the number of airlines offering different routes with only one stop between SFO and Accra.

WinWin points out some of the things you might find interesting in Ghana but you should be aware that, while on the cruise itself, all the excursions will be included in the package, accompanied by the ship's terrific and knowledgeable expedition team and will be unachievable by any other means. (I almost said unique, but, as I've been on some of them that wouldn't be strictly true, would it?)

CanadianKate, "What delightful imagery!" thanks. It only took a couple of hours and seventeen re-writes ;)

Cicciabella, Look after the Pride for us, please! We'll be back on board in mid April

Finally, I promise that as soon as I've typed this, I'll install the video editing software my sons gave me for Christmas. I can then actually set about organising the photos and video clips we took on our West Africa tour on the Explorer 9 months ago!

Sloopjohnb

Sloop, or should I say JohnB?

Our itinerary will be complicated for several reasons. First is trying to use miles (good luck!) for business or first class travel is always a challenge. We are hoping to catch the great migration in Kenya and/or Tanzania before the cruise, so will likely fly into Nairobi to start, then Arusha. (Not to mention lots of little bush flights in between camps.) We are serious safariists so when we get that close we must try to see animals! Have been to South Africa many times as well as Namibia and Botswana. This is our first time in West Africa aside from Namibia. I'm not expecting the cruise will be much in terms of animals, though it sounds like a bird watchers paradise.

Second challenge will be coordinating flights to arrive without wasting a lot of time. It appears that there is only one flight a day from Nairobi to Accra, on Kenya Air. Fortunately part of Skyteam but who knows if we will find the "right" options for the overseas flights, and using Skyteam (Delta here.) Yes, you are correct; there ARE many options.

Silversea has not posted any info on pre-or post cruise options (which we never use anyway.) However I'd like to see what hotels they suggest in Accra. If you have any suggestions for a clean one night place, we'd much appreciate that. We're inclined to stay in a simple place near the airport unless you have thoughts about Accra "must-see" tourism.

Also, it appears that SS arranges visas for all the stops but apparently we need to obtain our own for Ghana pre-trip. OR can you get a visa at the airport?

Would love to see your video clips and photos, so will look for them and encourage you for the sake of my fellow cruisers. Many thanks!

And PS- will be delighted to look after the Pride for you, in two weeks! I am hoping all the plumbing issues have been ironed out. Fortunately haven't heard any recent grim news, but apparently things were dicey on a recent trip.

I'm not Sloop - but in answer to your question - for hotels in Accra...the Movenpick is newer and on the expensive side, as are the Labadi Beach Hotel and the Holiday Inn. All are very nice! There was a Hilton being built when we were there last year, but I cannot find it on the Hilton site, so assume it has not been completed. A good clean hotel with no frills near the airport is the Erata Hotel - nice pool and restaurant.

As for the excursions - yes, the ship will handle them - BUT - if you get a chance to give input - the market in Mankesim is still worth a look.

Things to do in Accra - there is a crafts market near the national museum that is definately worth a visit - but remember to haggle on prices. There is the Makola Market - again, haggle and enjoy! There is the nature preserve - wonderful! And there are many beaches nearby.

As for visas - you need to get them before you leave. From the US last year a single entry good for 90 days was $60. The processing from the Ghana embassy was very quick.

Great place to visit - I see this trip goes to Dakar, as well. Again, get your visa before you leave....wonderful place to visit!

Archived