What is your favorite restaurant on the Oasis?

Just got off...dined at Giovanni's Table and 150...Giovanni's was excellent..huge portions, family style. I would highly recommend it, especially at 20 bucks per person. Can't say the same for 150 though. The extra 40 bucks for what we got was a joke, IMO. the food was tasty for the most part, but nothing special, and ceratinly not worth the extra money. one "course" was a smear of ricotta cheese, with 2 cut up beets on top and a piece of mini toast. The menu will be changing shortly though, so maybe it will be better.

Just got off...dined at Giovanni's Table and 150...Giovanni's was excellent..huge portions, family style. I would highly recommend it, especially at 20 bucks per person. Can't say the same for 150 though. The extra 40 bucks for what we got was a joke, IMO. the food was tasty for the most part, but nothing special, and ceratinly not worth the extra money. one "course" was a smear of ricotta cheese, with 2 cut up beets on top and a piece of mini toast. The menu will be changing shortly though, so maybe it will be better.

Yes so your the other person who just doesnt get it!!!!

I absolutely thought 150 was horrible!!! Not worth even what Giovonnis cost...food was no big deal, server could hardly speak english and did not communicate the food well..........I asked for a refund.

Yes so your the other person who just doesnt get it!!!!

I absolutely thought 150 was horrible!!! Not worth even what Giovonnis cost...food was no big deal, server could hardly speak english and did not communicate the food well..........I asked for a refund.

did you get one? LOL i wish i had thought to ask for one too. I get that this is a "tasting" menu, but gosh, what a rip at 40 bucks!!

did you get one? LOL i wish i had thought to ask for one too. I get that this is a "tasting" menu, but gosh, what a rip at 40 bucks!!

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Well not a full refund. I called the F&B general manager and complained the next day. He refunded the $80 for the two dinners but kept the charges for a wine paring and a martini. I was satisfied.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Well not a full refund. I called the F&B general manager and complained the next day. He refunded the $80 for the two dinners but kept the charges for a wine paring and a martini. I was satisfied.

Good for you! I am going to take this as a lesson learned, just so i wont feel totally RIPPED OFF!..;) We had 8 in our party, and for 320 bucks it was awful.

Good for you! I am going to take this as a lesson learned, just so i wont feel totally RIPPED OFF!..;) We had 8 in our party, and for 320 bucks it was awful.

Ouch! I am learning that you have to call them on bad food or service. Dont let them try the...Well are you used to fine dining? Or familiar with this type of venue..................Whether the answer is yes or no I know when I am not enjoying myself.

Ouch! I am learning that you have to call them on bad food or service. Dont let them try the...Well are you used to fine dining? Or familiar with this type of venue..................Whether the answer is yes or no I know when I am not enjoying myself.

To be honest, we won the trip through my husbands company, and they even gave us 1,000 spending money to entertain his customers, who were the rest of the party of 8...so it really didnt cost US anything, but i still felt ripped off, none the less. if i had paid out of pocket i would have really flipped my lid. I also felt the MDR food wasnt quite as good as it has been in the past on other ships. this was our first and most likely last time on the Oasis. I won a cruise, in the slot tourney, for Dec 3, on the Liberty, and believe me, I wont be paying for any extra dining options, unless they had a Giovanni's Table.

We really liked Chops and Giovanni's. I had the filet at both restaurants and they were superb. The red velvet cake at Chops is drool-worthy too.

Izumi and the Solarium Bistro dinner were two huge flops in our opinion. Izumi's "hot rock" cooking is cumbersome at best. Don't get me wrong - it's not the concept I didn't like (I looooove fondue!), but I found it difficult to cook the meat as it kept sticking to the rock. Plus, to make things even more confusing, our waitress brought items out in a strange order. First she brought out our raw meat and hot rock, and didn't say a word. We just kind of looked at each other and wondered what we were supposed to cook it with. I wasn't using my chopsticks, so I used those! Several minutes later, she brought out the tongs. It was also completely empty the night we went. It was a true disappointment and I hope they replace this restaurant. Hey, how about fondue! lol

While there was nothing really "wrong" with the Solarium Bistro, it simply wasn't to our liking. I had the pork tenderloin and it was good, but I was still hungry at the end of the night. I wouldn't even touch the desserts. DH had some sort of "risotto" (not with rice) and it gave him the most horrid gas! lol, We both declared we wouldn't go back!

FTR, I did grab a quick bagel from the Solarium Bistro one morning and it was fine. :)

How much do they charge to eat in the Solarium Bistro for dinner??

$20pp. although as a my time dining member, we were offered 50% if we dined on either day 1 or 2. So we took advantage of it. The restaurant is not as utilized, but the food is great. Loved the ahi tuna!

We really liked Chops and Giovanni's. I had the filet at both restaurants and they were superb. The red velvet cake at Chops is drool-worthy too.

QUOTE]

Ditto on the red velvet cake.. so yummy and such a huge portion!

Did we miss the Solarium Bistro on Allure?

I thought the only place upfront was the Samba Grill which we went to. Was the Solarium Bistro upfront too somewhere?

Jimbo:)

It's the same venue. Bistro for breakfast and lunch, Grill for dinner.

:)

$25/pp

$20pp. although as a my time dining member, we were offered 50% if we dined on either day 1 or 2. So we took advantage of it. The restaurant is not as utilized, but the food is great. Loved the ahi tuna!

I did post $25 above:o...but Shooraq is correct:)...Solarium Bistro is $20/pp for dinner.

Well I'll get my two cents in here and please realize that food is as much a subjective taste as is ones taste in ladies.:)

I have eaten in all the specialty restaurants on both Oasis and Allure with the exception of Samba grill and my favorite on both ships has been 150. That being said it is not for everyone and it seems those that are enthused about ample quantities of food (particularly meat and potatoes) are liable to be disappointed here. I just thought all the plates were well prepared, excellently presented and the service exceptional. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I also like Chops and have been eating in them since RCI started putting them on ships. It is a good 'steakhouse' experience and again well worth the extra cost.

Izumi is very good if you emjoy sushi - stay away from the hot rocks unless you like to play with your food.

I liked the Solarium Bistro and am disappointed it is going away. It was good but maybe not anything exceptional.

Contrary to most I have been a little disappointed in Giovannis. I hate to say it but I may be an Italian food snob and the pasta there cannot compare to Portofinos on other RCI ships. A lot of people really like it though.

I haven't seen Vintages mentioned yet and this is a really nice casual dinner in my opinion. Relax in an easy chair, sip a nice bottle of wine and munch on small plates of your choice (tapas). Very civilized and enjoyable in my opinion.

The Seafood Shack on Oasis was also a little disappointing - I may have ordered the wrong things but Ritas on Allure is a really good Mexican restaurant.

to wrap things up let me say that what I really like is the Dog house on Allure, those sausages are great and perfect for lunch. Unfortunately you said you are going on Oasis and the 'house' hasn't made it there yet.

My wife and I will be sailing on the Oasis for the first time in April. We are curious to know "real people's" opinion on which is the best restaurant to eat at on the ship. The worst thing is to pay extra for a restaurant and it not be any good. Your options are very much appreciated.

Every meal I had is above excellent! The hot rock at Izumi's just ripped my food apart. :( 150 Central Park is the fanciest and most intricate meal I have ever had. If it weren't as expensive, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It was beyond delicious.

We just ate had dinner in the Solarium Bistro for the first time a few weeks ago....everything was very good and fresh.....HOWEVER, this venue has not been as successful as anticipated and will soon be changing over.

Changing over to what?

Absolutely LOVED the red velvet cake!

I am a regular person who spent some time on the Oasis last summer with about 20 in our group.

My opinion is CHOPS is the best restaurant on the ship.

We tried Giovanni's which was also very good, and Solarium which I thought was a complete waste of money.

If you can try just one specialty restaurant, I would go for Chops.

I doubt you would be disappointed.

Archived