Celebrity Infinity - Buenos Aires to Valparaiso Review

toff10

Thanks for the information. We leave Saturday for Buenos Aires to board the Infinity! Could you tell me if there were 2 or 3 formal nights and which nights they were? Thanks.

Kevin

As posted by SunCityGa there are 3 formal nights. They were on the first sea day, Ushuaia and Chilean Fjords. It was a bit of a shame there was one on Ushuaia as the scenary is amazing in the evening as you go past the glaciers so we didn't want to run off to get changed for it!

If you have any other questions I am happy to try and answer them.

Thanks so much for the review Toff10. We are doing B-2-B departing on 26 February, we did the same cruise in 2007. Re the cinema, we seem to recall that there was a small one down low in the ship, maybe deck 4. What a pity they've removed it.

I also think you'd be much better doing fixed time dining to avoid problems with the egg intolerance issue. We were at a table on that last South America cruise with someone allergic to garlic and she was looked after fantastically well.

Two silly questions: do you know if they have fitness balls in the gym? (Then we won't have to bring ours and a pump!) And was there a pull out clothes line in the shower (very handy when you're doing a 29 night cruise!)

Thanks

Brenda

If you have any other questions I am happy to try and answer them.

Thanks so much for the review Toff10. We are doing B-2-B departing on 26 February, we did the same cruise in 2007. Re the cinema, we seem to recall that there was a small one down low in the ship, maybe deck 4. What a pity they've removed it.

I also think you'd be much better doing fixed time dining to avoid problems with the egg intolerance issue. We were at a table on that last South America cruise with someone allergic to garlic and she was looked after fantastically well.

Two silly questions: do you know if they have fitness balls in the gym? (Then we won't have to bring ours and a pump!) And was there a pull out clothes line in the shower (very handy when you're doing a 29 night cruise!)

Thanks

Brenda

Hi Brenda

Not sure about the gym balls I am afraid. We did take a peek in the gym but didn't actually use it (all those good intentions!!). Hopefully someone else might read this who knows!

Yes there was a pull out clothes line in the shower so you'll be good on that point.

Have a fab time.

Thanks

Brenda

Hi Brenda

Not sure about the gym balls I am afraid. We did take a peek in the gym but didn't actually use it (all those good intentions!!). Hopefully someone else might read this who knows!

Yes there was a pull out clothes line in the shower so you'll be good on that point.

Have a fab time.

Thanks so much for the info, now we can't wait for this cruise!

Brenda

Just came across this thread and was surprised to hear that the cinema is gone as I was advised that it was going to be retained after refurb (and it is still listed on most info for the ship). Very disappointed. Sailing Infinity to Alaska in May.

Thank you so much for your review; much appreciated.

Just came across this thread and was surprised to hear that the cinema is gone as I was advised that it was going to be retained after refurb (and it is still listed on most info for the ship). Very disappointed. Sailing Infinity to Alaska in May.

Thank you so much for your review; much appreciated.

They do have movies on the TV in your statement room which are free and then also more recent pay per view ones, but its not the same as a cinema!!

Wow - extensive review and right-on from my perspective!

I was in a group of 6 on the same cruise and had different excursions that might be of interest.

Montevideo we did a ship tour of Highlights. OK, but nothing special. It did get us to residential areas which were interesting to see what life in Montevideo was like for the locals. Took it in the a.m. and left the afternoon to walk around. Seemed safe enough and we walked a long ways.

Punta Del Este is nicely upscale and a great place to walk the area by yourself. We walked the shore, with a paved walking trail which seemed to go for miles. They have many restaurants on the street along the shore line which offer shade and cold drinks which came in handy since it was blazing sunshine and hot. Remember to use sunscreen !!! Up the hill a street running parallel to the shore has many shops that were interesting to tour on the walk back.

Puerto Madryn we did a private tour to Trelew and Gaiman. Trelew had a Palentological Museum that was well done with many dinosaur skeletons and indoor exhibits. Don't miss the Welsh museum in front at a railroad station looking building. For $1 admission they had a lot of displays of Welsh pictures, antiques, old costumes, and machinery. Gaiman had the Welsh Tea which was fabulous. You got a plate of finger sandwiches, several plates of cakes and goodies, and lots of tea. It's a sweet tooth delight. Interesting here also was the irrigation of the surrounding areas.

All in all Puerto Madryn didn't have much to offer, so don't have your expectations too high.

Usuahia -- we didn't use a ship tour, but got off the boat and walked into the port. Just across the street to the left is a taxi center. We walked up to the taxi place and asked who speaks English.. Several guys pointed at a taxi driver and we said what we wanted to do and asked for a price.. He took our group of 4 up to Garribaldi Pass and around 2 lakes with stops for pictures for $120. Took about 3 to 4 hours. The ship price of this tour is $120 each. We also stopped at a restaurant for bathroom break and Cappachino which was outstanding. The tour bus comes there later for lunch. We got back to town and looked thru the shops and headed for a

restaurant that served King crab. It is to the right as you come off the ship dock about 2 streets. Called Tante Nina. Slow service but the Natural Crab dish is not to be missed.

Punta Arenas we did the same. Found a cab at the port with an English speaking driver and headed for the Penguins at Otway Bay. Again, way cheaper than the ship tour and we stopped at the Cemetary on the way back. Pretty impressive. Another restaurant for great seafood recommended by the driver. Can't quite remember the name - something like Sititos -- but tablecloths and great food.

Puerto Mott we did the private van to the Falls and stopped in the little village by the lake. Again, considerably less cost than the Ship Tour. Another great restaurant - it just said Restaurant on the roof.. a couple of blocks off the lake near the public craft fair. Great Salmon Cheviche on the table and they brought out these fresh rolls you could fill with the Cheviche. Outstanding. King Crab there was OK - not as good as Tante Ninas.

Santiago - spend the night and tour the city. Go up to the park overlooking the city. Great views. Took a city tour for something like $30 each.

Overall, great trip. Lots to see, good food to be had, and lots to see and do.

Enjoy.

we are on the cruise also on feb 26th...from australia...we are in our 50's...have you organized any shore excursions...graeme

Hi there!

There is a great group & very active roll call for the 26th Feb 2012 cruise with excursions planned for most ports :D:D:D

check it out & get to meet others that you will be sailing with http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com...325497&page=17

See you onboard...

Cheers,

G&G :):cool:

haf2@bigpond.com

Come and join us on the roll call Graeme http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1325497&page=17

Thanks for a great insight Toff, we're off in 30 days to BA! Hope Mr Cameron's comments haven't upset the Argentinians too much!!

Thanks for your time.

Simon

This is not a joke to the Argentinians, who regard the islands as Las Malvinas and do NOT, I repeat NOT, take this lightly. It would be inappropriate to expect anyone in or from Argentina to appreciate what Mr

Cameron claims about the islands. (I have not been there for slightly over a year, but I have a large extended family in Argentina.)

Archived