2 Nights pre cruise in Tampa

steff613

I know there are multiple threads about the cruise pkgs at the Rocky Point hotels but we will be arriving in Tampa on Friday night around 11 pm we are sailing on Sunday on the Legend. I believe that most of the hotel shuttles will have stopped running by the time we land, and we have all day saturday to spend in Tampa so not sure that the cruise pkgs are the best option for us. Im looking for suggestions on where to stay that will provide us with at least some transportation but will also be in an area where some sort of activities will be easily accessible for saturday because i dont want to rent a car for the day. any suggestions would be welcome!

Hi Steff,

If you stay in the downtown area you will be close to the Trolley line that will take you to Channelside where the aquarium is located. Channelside also has some shops and restaurants. Some of the downtown hotels are Embassy Suites, Marriott Waterside, Sheraton Riverwalk and Howard Johnson Plaza.

Ybor City has somethings to do but it can get a little wild on a Saturday evening so that would depend on what kind of atmosphere you are up to.

There is a Hampton in Ybor and I believe it is on the Trolley line too.

Another option would be the LaQuinta Tampa Airport. The hotel is clean and the rates are pretty good. This hotel will offer you free airport shuttle, that runs until 12:45 am, and a shuttle to the port, although I believe it is a few dollars per person. They also offer a free hot breakfast. This hotel is in a nice area directly across from the International Plaza Mall. This is an upscale mall that has a lot of nice shops and many, many restuarants and lounges to choose from. They also have a cute little wine/tapas bar called The Grape. They sell wine by the glass or by the bottle. The hotel is on a side street that is not very busy, so crossing it to get to the mall in not an ordeal. The hotel also offers a shuttle ride over as well. Here is the link to the mall.

http://www.shopinternationalplaza.com/

Here is a link to the LaQuinta Tampa Airport. http://www.lq.com/lq/properties/propertyProfile.do?ident=LQ597&propId=597

I hope this helps a little.

Have a great time on your cruise.

:)

Edited by Hoosiercouple

thanks a bunch these at least give me some reference points Ive never been to Tampa so figuring out where everything is in relation to eachother is a chanllenge.

Tampa Bay is my original home-town so just ask away if you have anymore questions. :)

We will be arriving Friday night (though 7PM) and rented a van from National. I am staying at the Residence Inn by the airport and my understanding there is some international mall right across the street and lots of restaurants in the area.

Hossiercouple, Not sure what to do on Saturday. Busch Garden out of the question Because I need to pick up my sister and her husband at the airport at noon. Thinking of doing the aquarium but worried it will be full of running kids on Saturday. How about flea markets in Tampa, We love to shop and walk in flea markets. Any other recommendations. Thanks.

We will be arriving Friday night (though 7PM) and rented a van from National. I am staying at the Residence Inn by the airport and my understanding there is some international mall right across the street and lots of restaurants in the area.

Hossiercouple, Not sure what to do on Saturday. Busch Garden out of the question Because I need to pick up my sister and her husband at the airport at noon. Thinking of doing the aquarium but worried it will be full of running kids on Saturday. How about flea markets in Tampa, We love to shop and walk in flea markets. Any other recommendations. Thanks.

Titan when are u sailing?

There is the Big Top Flea market but it up on Fowler Ave near Busch Gardens. I have not been to this one so cannot comment on the vendors. They do close though at 4:30 so I don't know if it would really be worth the drive for you.

http://www.bigtopfleamarket.com/

There is the Mosi museum of Science and Industry. It is up around the Busch Gardens area and I'm sure it will be over-run with families on a Sat too. http://www.mosi.org/

Busch Gardens used to have an after 4pm discount ticket. This may be something to look into. It would still allow you to see the park but not charge you the full price. It would work well if the park were open late on the day that you would want to go. Here is a link to BG info along with a PH# to call and inquire if they are still offering the after 4pm discount tickets. http://www.floridatix.co.uk/busch-gardens-guide.aspx

I would also not totally rule out the Aquarium. If you go later in the afternoon, some of the initial crowd may have cleared out. You could also watch the Carnival Paradise leave port at 4pm. The Aquarium is directly across the street from the port of Tampa in Channelside.

Here is a link to some other things thay might interest you in Tampa.

http://www.bing.com/attractions/search?q=attractions+in+Tampa&qpvt=things+to+do+in+tampa+fla&FORM=DTPATA

Good luck. :)

Hoosier Ive looked at the Tahitian Inn it looks very nice and i says they offer a airport and cruiseport shuttle? What is located around that area?

There are a few restaurants within walking distance. Here is a list along with the distance from the Tahitian Inn. http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/30/5239/tampa-bay-tahitian-inn-nearby-restaurants There is also a CVS that is walkable.

Here is a recent mini-review of the Tahitian Inn that has a little more info. I have not stayed there but have heard very good things about the hotel. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1518142&highlight=review+tahitian+inn

Other than restaurants and a CVS, I do not think there is much more around. It is located on a main road that basically just caters to businesses, hotels and restaurants. Not much in the form of any attractions or entertainment in this area.

:):)

Titan when are u sailing?

March 25 on the NCL Star. Arriving in Tampa the evening of the 23.

Hoosiercouple,

Thanks for the information. I will check BG for after 4 discounted tickets. It just did not make sense to pay the full price for the 6 of us when we can't be there before 1:00PM

Thanks for taking the time to respond. CC members like you that makes this forum awesome:)

Last time in Tampa, we did a segway tour and a ghost tour. I would highly recomend both.

Segway tour sounds very cool who did you do it through?

Hoosier, how far is St Pete beach is it realistic to try and stay there and get shuttles back and forth?

Hoosier, how far is St Pete beach is it realistic to try and stay there and get shuttles back and forth?

I think it is realistic to stay on SPB and do the shuttle. It would be a great start to a cruise. SPB is about a 30 min drive from Tampa airport and is mostly interstate the entire way so it is basically one straight shot and then an exit to the SPB-Pinellas Bayway and a short drive to the hotel. The port is about 15 min from TIA so about 45min from beach to port.

Some of the hotels offer a shuttle discount, so that makes things kind of nice. My husband and I stay at the Alden All Suites Resort when we visit SPB. There are lots of good hotels to choose from, but the reason that we keep going back to this on is that we have never had a bad experience and their rates are very good; you can get a suite for the same price as a regular hotel room in surrounding hotels. We always book the Burmuda suite which is like a studio with a king bed and then a separate dining and living area. It is perfect for just the 2 of us. They do offer the shuttle discount as well. I do not know the price because we usually rent a car but you could price it out one of two ways, #1 airport to hotel and then hotel to port -or- #2 airport to hotel and then hotel back to airport and then a taxi to the port. The flat rate taxi fare is $25, so you would just have to weight it out. Here is the hotel link. I believe that they use SuperShuttle for their discount rates. On the home page, click on destinations then on recreation. Go about mid-way down the page for the shuttle discount info.

www.aldenbeachresort.com

There are also plenty of restaurants and shops within walking distance.

Good luck to you. :)

Edited by Hoosiercouple

Hoosier,

Thanks ST Pete Beach is a place ive ALWAYS wanted to visit and looked at the Alden many time thinking it looked like a good choice, so that will be my next focus to see if its feasible! thanks again for all your help!

Magic Carpet Glide is the name. It was very cool and I'll do it again for sure.

• 4 years later...