Early March - too cold for snorkeling??

mikeyd

We are going to be in Nassau in the first week of March and almost booked a snorkel excursion until I thought to check the water temps and see they will be around 73-75.

That is pretty cool, even for a Michigander who loves to ice fish!!

Has anyone snorkeled or gone in from a beach in early march to verify if this is true?

Thanks!

What Ihave learned is that the typical temps for March is 73-75 degrees. This is cold for most, except kids who could swim in ice water and not care.

I do know that different spots can have different temps based on water depth and current. I suspect the dive shops know where to go for the warmest water.

We are going to go for it and hope for the best.

Keep in mind that the air temps will probably be around 80 so not to difficult to just get used to the water temp being slightly cooler. I'm a native Miamian and I've snorkeled in March in the Bahamas with no problem, it's better than when it's so hot and sticky from May - August ;) Also, we've had a mild "winter" so far, so the water temp may be more like 77 -80 degrees. It's January and we'll be snorkeling there this weekend because of the warmer winter temps this year.

Archived