Cunard to Leave Manhattan for Brooklyn

cunarder

Okay, maybe we need to give Red Hook a little bit of a break. But there is some reality that will not change easily.

Traffic: It appears that most people will have to go around in a circle to get there, and the streets are not ready for thousands of cars and a slew of buses to show up all at once. It will take some real good planning and traffic control to make this happen.

Restaurants, etc: Unless I am missing something, it looks like these piers will be used one or two days a week (see schedule) Anyone in the restaurant business knows you can not operate on one day a week, no matter how much you do that one day. Of course, they could cater to the local freight type workers, but that is an entirely different market than cruise passengers.

New Jobs: Getting back to the one cruise ship a week, what do these people do the other days?

View on Leaving NYC: You surely will not get a great view of Manhattan. You will be able to see Lady Liberty off the Starboard side as the QM2 sails out, but not as close as the old way out to sea. See this map. The Red Hook piers are right across from Governors Island. Best view of Manhattan as said before will probably be will at the pier.

Traffic: It appears that most people will have to go around in a circle to get there.

-Only those coming from Manhattan thru the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel will be making those several left turns redirecting them back towards the pier direction. Coming from Downtown Brooklyn will be heading straight to the pier as well as those from Lower Brooklyn and JFK via the Belt Parkway > Gowanus Expressway towards the (BQE) Brooklyn Queens Expressway.

It will take some real good planning and traffic control to make this happen.

-WE TRULY hope so as many parts of Brooklyn and the rest of the city are always being upgraded especially after the winter season > during the spring thaw

What do these people do the other days?

- Since my brother is a Custom Inspector and many people in Brooklyn know those working on the piers as longshoremen, have always told us that they get their assignments in the morning or the evening before to report to Brooklyn, Manhattan or New Jersey side piers thru the scheduled ship arrivals due in. They always are keep busy - it's their livelyhood.

View on Leaving NYC: You surely will not get a great view of Manhattan. The Red Hook piers are right across from Governors Island. Best view of Manhattan as said before will probably be will at the pier.

-I must admit that the sailaways on the Hudson were very special in the past especially after 9-11, but Lower Manhattan also does have a style of it's own. You do see it on the ride on the famed Staten Island Ferry and also certain highway approaches from Brooklyn towards Manhattan and also from the Brooklyn Heights Promenade. The starboard & aft should have some advantages.

I apologize for being defensive at times, but living in NY you do develop a type of hardening to situations.

We will all get onboard one way or another and sailaway from these Concrete Jungles to Tropical Winds and Trees and those very special sunsets.

Regards,

:) ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Thanks for the great feedback "Ed & Bev".

Good points. I await our fantastic embarkation! <grin>

By the way, my comment about jobs was related to the press releases talking about lots of new jobs being created, when in reality they are just moving some folks around (like Customs crew) from other places as there will not be much work on the other days of the week for most of these people.

Karie,

The QE2/QM2 will not sail past ANY Manhattan skyline - let alone as in the past up the North River. There will be views of Lower Manhattan from the dock, but no sail past, and not much of a view of Lady Liberty either....

Peter

Who remembers with amusement the time New York proudly proclaimed it had less crime than London (still probably true).....except on one measure......murder!

I'm getting a much better idea of what things look like from various pictures, maps, and aerial shots. It certainly doesn't look like a walk in the park. Like getting around Boston by car. Every street is a one way street-... In the other direction! Hopefully they will put some straight through streets, not cobblestoned, as I hear some of the older streets still are, but not disrupting the people who have to live with whatever they do.

ESLO, I agree politics being what they are, no project ever goes off as planned and on budget.

And Peter- I've noticed as I get more and more brochures and books from Cunard, it seems as though every single one of them features prominently one of the Queens in VERY close proximity to the Lady!

And truly, Every time I think about this, my mind starts singing,

"We'll see life's mad pattern, as we view old Manhattan,

Then we can thank our lucky stars, that we're living as we are.

In our little penthouse, we'll always contrive

To keep love and romance forever alive,

A view of the Hudson, just over the drive,

When We're alone!

Karie,

Who can't get that song out of her head!

Right now, there's still a lot of speculation as to how this will work out, and if one can get a taxi driver to actually take you there.

I guess we'll get some REAL information on this when teh terminal actually opens up.

I'm sailing on the MARY with my fiancee in July and am a bit nervous about being able to get there at all.

I anxiously await to here from tthose who have actually experienced the processes of getting to Red Hook to catch their ship.

Right now, it is home to Stevedores and Longshoremen. I hate to say it, but such men have always attracted an element who will provide the wares they seek with the better wages they get because of the unions.

What element and wares might that be? Are you personally acquainted with any members of the ILA?

Right now, there's still a lot of speculation as to how this will work out, and if one can get a taxi driver to actually take you there.

I guess we'll get some REAL information on this when teh terminal actually opens up.

I'm sailing on the MARY with my fiancee in July and am a bit nervous about being able to get there at all.

I anxiously await to here from tthose who have actually experienced the processes of getting to Red Hook to catch their ship.

Here's an interesting article about a welcoming present left at the corner of Atlantic and Columbia Streets:

http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/03/brooklyn-cruise-ship-terminal-shaping-up.html

. Best view of Manhattan as said before will probably be will at the pier.

Looking at the pier right now from my window at work, the best view will be upon leaving approaching the pier not at the pier as Governer's Island is blocking the sight lines.

What element and wares might that be? Are you personally acquainted with any members of the ILA?

I suppose I might be, as a member in good standing of the CWA, and former officer of CUTW (TIU) and one who has marched on Washington for the Solidarnosc rally when Reagan fired the PATCO air Traffic Controllers. We drove all night in a rented van after working all day with five other ladies from my local! Back then I was a skinny scrawny 40 pounds underweight. I swear the stick holding my picket sign was wider than I was. I ran across a picture the other day! I looked UGLY! (not that I'm thrilled being fat now!) And anyway, the element was referring to was gold, of course, Silly! What did you think?

Karie, who knows better than to impugn a union brother or sister! <G> Especially one with big muscles!

Here's an interesting article about a welcoming present left at the corner of Atlantic and Columbia Streets:

http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/03/brooklyn-cruise-ship-terminal-shaping-up.html

Hi All & Jeanne S,

Interesting article. Though Atlantic & Columbia is quite a ways from this area, the truth is still true for the area near the pier.

Job 534, Hello. Yes your concerns are the same as ours who lives here and feel the city and the authorities should have held the sailing schedule back till a considerable about of prep work was done before passengers would venture and approach this area for their cruises. We too are eagerly awaiting the local newspaper articles about the prep opening and also after that - the response. Also the online reviews and remarks of the several first sailing responses from those first hand.

I really was concerned from the beginning when the terminal idea was first announced and way before the groundbreaking of how this was to play out especially knowing the area quite, quite well. We have sailed on the QE2 about 13x's in the past and have landed at some interesting places not so nice for the Queen to be placed. We also were bussed in and out of those areas that did give us concern but we made it.

I just think that any area especially receiving passengers of the Queen Mary 2 should not have to be paved in GOLD but, at least have some type of pleasant approach to it which is part of the memory of the starting part of the cruise. Manhattan isn't the greatest in some parts but still is much different then REDHOOK, where?, REDHOOK. I keep hearing and reading peoples response to where in the H...(eck) are they headed.

As the articles in the links above state, Brooklyn is interesting but doubledecker buses are far from heading to this location.

Keeping an open mind......

Regards,

:confused: ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

Hi Jeanne,

Great pictures. Maybe a map can be produced as directions to the pier. You know, turn left at the burned out compact car and take a right by the stripped mini-van etc. Maybe post cards can be produced of the sights and sold at the Red Hook pier.

Any businessman out there wanting to have a new opportunity, there you go (haha).

Ed

Hi Jeanne,

Great pictures. Maybe a map can be produced as directions to the pier. You know, turn left at the burned out compact car and take a right by the stripped mini-van etc. Maybe post cards can be produced of the sights and sold at the Red Hook pier.

Any businessman out there wanting to have a new opportunity, there you go (haha).

Ed

What an interesting idea. I will have my drivers take pictures down there every day. Let's see-the QM2 with the hookers, the QE2 with the watch and stolen CB sellers and the Princess ships with the crack dealers. Should make an interesting collage, ripe for sale to the "geriatric" set boarding the ship. Thanks for the idea. LOL

Hi All & Jeanne S,

Interesting article. Though Atlantic & Columbia is quite a ways from this area, the truth is still true for the area near the pier.

As the articles in the links above state, Brooklyn is interesting but doubledecker buses are far from heading to this location.

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Actually they are. Did you see the Double Decker Bus in the photo. Atlantic and Columbia are a little over a mile away, However, they are on a direct path to the pier along the new Cruise Ship Port signs that have just gone up.

Below is an article about some of the more interesting places in Red Hook, the homeless shanties, Conover Street parachute factory (what a coincidence the same name as Cunard’s former president), the housing projects Life magazine once called one of the 10 worst neighborhoods in the U.S., later the "Crack Capital of the World." – but they do look “spiffy” during the day, swastika house, and more.

http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/03/red-hook-picture-show.html

Hi All & Jeanne S,

Regards,

(Ed & Bev)

Actually they are. Did you see the Double Decker Bus in the photo. Atlantic and Columbia are a little over a mile away, However, they are on a direct path to the pier along the new Cruise Ship Port signs that have just gone up.

Below is an article about some of the more interesting places in Red Hook, the homeless shanties, Conover Street parachute factory (what a coincidence the same name as Cunard’s former president), the housing projects Life magazine once called one of the 10 worst neighborhoods in the U.S., later the "Crack Capital of the World." – but they do look “spiffy” during the day, swastika house, and more.

http://therealestate.observer.com/2006/03/red-hook-picture-show.html

I suppose I might be, as a member in good standing of the CWA, and former officer of CUTW (TIU) and one who has marched on Washington for the Solidarnosc rally when Reagan fired the PATCO air Traffic Controllers. We drove all night in a rented van after working all day with five other ladies from my local! Back then I was a skinny scrawny 40 pounds underweight. I swear the stick holding my picket sign was wider than I was. I ran across a picture the other day! I looked UGLY! (not that I'm thrilled being fat now!) And anyway, the element was referring to was gold, of course, Silly! What did you think?

Karie, who knows better than to impugn a union brother or sister! <G> Especially one with big muscles!

I would think you have more in common with my union the UFT (Health Care Chapter) than the ILA, in that our union leaders generally are not indicted nor have they served time in a Federal Pen for various offences realted to their union activites.

Air travel used to be quite enjoyable prior to 1981. With the breaking of the Traffic Controller and subsequent price wars, it has gone way downhill.

Gold did not immediately come to mind, perhaps I need to get my mind out of the gutter.

Back then I was a skinny scrawny 40 pounds underweight. I swear the stick holding my picket sign was wider than I was. I ran across a picture the other day! I looked UGLY! (not that I'm thrilled being fat now!)

QUOTE]

Are you happier with the way you look now as opposed to being underweight?

Hi Jeanne,

Ed

It could be very lucrative Ed!

Are you happier with the way you look now as opposed to being underweight?

I wish I'd stopped somewhere in the middle! I could start a small boutique that would serve everyone!

My basement contains clothes from size 7 to size 26!

The drugs to treat one disease caused another disease, destroyed my metabolism, which caused my weight to balloon. I went from 107 to a high of 285. (I've lost a little from that point, but not a lot) I am not healthy. I wasn't healthy before. If that treatment hadn't stopped my weight slide, I would have gone into Sloane Kettering for hyperalimentation therapy, if that didn't work, I was to have an ileostomy. I'd like to be just normal! Maybe a little pudgy- I could live with that. But morbidly obese doesn't suit me either. Hey! It's not easy finding nice formal gowns in a 24-26, and finding shoes to go on my Big-Foot feet that don't look like combat boots! (Or combat sandals!<G>)

However, you'll be glad to know, they DO make jeans in my size! <LOL>

No, I'm not happy this big, but I haven't a lot of choice. No amount of dieting will get me back down to a normal weight- I usually don't eat during the day as it is- too busy, and I forget to eat! Then I go home at night, and do all my eating before bed- Not a good plan. In the morning i have to force myself to eat. I treally don't want anything. The Doctor wanted to trym me on a new drug, but I would HAVE to eat regular meals! I know better than to promise that. I simply don't eat all day! And usually don't want to! But I make up for it when I get home. usually around 9 or 10. I work late most nights. I missed a few breakfasts on our cruise! But I never missed dinner!

Oh well, I'd love to be ravishing, but I make the best of whatever I've got, try to improve it where I can, and just live life to the fullest extent possible with all of my diseases and syndromes and what-nots! Including my cruise addiction! The hardest disease of all. Very costly to treat! <G>

Karie, who has learned to accept what life hands her- When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. But when life hands you LIMES, make MARGARITAS! <G>

Or Key Lime pie if they are yellow lines...

Having dealt with a chronic disease for 15 years and gained weight being on steroids which made me ravenous (would wake up in the middle of the night to eat), I can empathize. Now my problem is gaining weight; used to be annoyed when slim people would complain that they could not gain any weight and had no sympathy for their plight. Am the person at the table ordering two entrees and all the deserts (but I do share).

Norstroms seems to have a nice selection of larger sizes and I believe the section is called Encore. Also Lord and Taylor, especially for gowns.

Am a size 10-11 very wide, in shoes and can never find anything suitable.

Have you had any trips to any ship's "Hospital?"

Jeannie

Or Key Lime pie if they are yellow lines...

Having dealt with a chronic disease for 15 years and gained weight being on steroids which made me ravenous (would wake up in the middle of the night to eat), I can empathize. Now my problem is gaining weight; used to be annoyed when slim people would complain that they could not gain any weight and had no sympathy for their plight. Am the person at the table ordering two entrees and all the deserts (but I do share).

Norstroms seems to have a nice selection of larger sizes and I believe the section is called Encore. Also Lord and Taylor, especially for gowns.

Am a size 10-11 very wide, in shoes and can never find anything suitable.

Have you had any trips to any ship's "Hospital?"

Jeannie

Ihave not yet had the pleasure- Though I came close last time. I bring a lot of meds and medical gear with me. My father was treated very well in HAL's sick bay, though. X-Rays and all.

I haven't been to a Nordstorm's yet. There is one in our area now. It's in a mall I don't go to. In fact, I don't do malls at all! would rather eat ground glass! I suspect I might not find anything under $200 at Nordstroms. I hate to pay that for dresses I wear infrequently. I find Fashion Bug Plus has some nice prom type dresses. And of course, if I shop there shortly after prom season, or even Christmas time, I usually find something fabulous under or around $100.00. Sometimes I get too crazy and buy three or four, if only because it's hard to find ANY floor length gowns these days, much less in my size and a flattering style. Steroids tend to put all of the weight up front, and in the arms. Hard to fit sometimes, or find things that look good. And the last thing I need is one more BLACK dress! They seem to think it's the only color fat chicks can wear!! In fact, I get really irked when I walk up to one of those combination regular and plus stores and see all the great bright tropical colors in the window. Then walk in the door and turn right toward the plus side- And it looks like an Army Camo depot,. Browns, olive, beige, black. Ugh! Just because I'm fat doesn't mean I want to wear ugly clothes! And they tend to sell a lot of sweaters to plus size. I don't EVER wear sweaters!

BTW, when I was on intravenous steroids a couple of times I would sit up and eat ice and dry crackers all night, just to keep down the vile feeling and taste in my throat. The minute I stopped, it came back.

I tend to sometimes order two different entrees because I can't decide. But I rarely eat the whole thing. I'll usually share or end up with some left over. I hate wasting food, but sometimes you just want to try something! Someone on the boards raved about the Stilton cheese. I usually don't eat desserts, though I seemed to do pretty good this last cruise! Sometimes even more than one! (parts of two different ones or our waiter would bring an extra that was passed around the table) Anyway, I'd get the cheese plate just to TRY the stilton. I'm not really fond of blue cheeses. Of course there were so many cheeses I had never heard of I just had to try them! So it got to the point our waiter would automatically bring the cheese plate~! Never done that before. Well, I didn't want to hurt his feelings so.... <G>

I usually lose wait or maintain on cruises. Primarily due to the fact that I am eating at a leisurely pace, and the portions tend to be smaller than even restaurants at home. (I hate that! Except for the value of making two or even three meals of it with leftovers! At a steak house, I order the meat Really rare, have a salad and an appetizer, and eat about three bites of the meat and make two more meals of the leftovers!)

Well, I've ramblked on enough. Im supposed to be packing for our weekend trip to Maine!

Karie, who needs to get a move on!

P.S. If you want to get what is supposed to be some of the best Key Lime pie, inside or outside of the Florida Keys, ,made AUTHENTICALLY, with fresh squoozed key limes, and all, go to Pier 41 in Red Hook. for a taste of Steve's authentic Key Lime Pie. They're expensive, but I hear they are worth it! Tell him Karie the parrothead sent you! I haven't had the chance to visit yet, bet he and I correspond by email. I also make mine from scratch, as he does.

http://www.stevesauthentic.com/

Thanks for the link - will try this. That's one more postive thing about REDHOOK!!!

Nordstrom's has a twice yearly sale whereby you would be able to get something for $100. And Lord and Taylor is always having sales and coupons. I got a floor length black satin skirt that is flowing and has a tulle slip underneath to give it shape as it tapers out past the knees. It is from Great Britain and I got it for $59 on sale (no tax in New Jersey) and wear this on Cunard all the time. I first saw a skirt exactly like this on social hostess Maureen and it looked great on her so I got one. Dark green is my favorite color

Ah – the cheese plates, even better is the cheese trolley one gets in the grills, one NCL or Radisson (and they give you a glass of port). They just knew to place it on the table after all the desserts.

Was also on hyperal (its funny but we seem to the only ones till calling it that – everyone else saying TPN). Ever have them start a Pic line in your artery by mistake?

Have a nice trip to Maine – so we have another Parrothead on this forum!

Jeannie

Was also on hyperal (its funny but we seem to the only ones till calling it that – everyone else saying TPN). Ever have them start a Pic line in your artery by mistake?

Have a nice trip to Maine – so we have another Parrothead on this forum!

Jeannie

Nope. Once had them miss the artery when doing an arterial blood gas, though. Guy came back, laughed, and said, according to this, you're dead!

Okay, you've found out my "well-kept" secret.

I am on my way to the New England Parrothead conventions (or phlocking) "Off to see the Lobsta" is this year's theme, at the Cliff House in Ogunquit.

I am wearing shorts and a tiki god Hawaiian shirt right now.

We are loading the car, putting in a bunch of micro brew beer, tequilya <G>, a half dozen fresh sliced limes, well, you get the picture!

I'll have to check out Nordstroms. Never knew Lord and Taylors ever had things that reasonably priced. I'll have to check that out too. (When ever I hear "Nordstrom" I think of the song from Barometer Soup about Nordstrom- the man with no name)

Karie,

Who is "Off to see the Lobsta, momentarily!

Just back from Red Hook and the Hope and Anchor restuarant. Ran into one of the workers. They are working today. Its beginning to look like a cruise terminal. Its says its roughed out inside and just needs paint. Also said there is an electrical conduit problem they are working on. They have to be finished in 21 days. Parling lot needs to be painted and lined. They were working on the security fence(we drove down and looked), but its coming along....

Archived