Help - Dress Code (I love dressing up)

Cherrytrees

1st time on Celebrity - A big part of Cruising for me is dressing up in my lovely dresses, long evening dresses and cocktail dresses. I have noticed that on a 14 nighter there are only 3 Formal nights - and the rest are smart casual. Would I look out of place wearing a long evening dress on a smart casual night?? Really excited about our cruise, we will be travelling on the Eclipse in september 2012 - can't wait! :)

1st time on Celebrity - A big part of Cruising for me is dressing up in my lovely dresses, long evening dresses and cocktail dresses. I have noticed that on a 14 nighter there are only 3 Formal nights - and the rest are smart casual. Would I look out of place wearing a long evening dress on a smart casual night?? Really excited about our cruise, we will be travelling on the Eclipse in september 2012 - can't wait! :)

I think you should go for it! Celebrity guests...in my opinion...dress better for dinner than any other line I've been on. I like to dress up and be pampered too. Enjoy! :)

Thank you so much Dizney - I really appreciate your quick reply, must admit was a little worried when I read 'Smart Casual & Above' was skirt/trousers - I know we all should wear what we feel comfortable in, just didn't want to look to out of place! But I will be going for it as you suggest and will definitely enjoy lol!

I often wear a long sun dress on casual nights and have never felt out of place. I look at it this way if you love dressing up, do so. If someone stares at you it's only because they're jealous.

Amen! My thoughts exactly! :p

Thank you so much Dizney - I really appreciate your quick reply, must admit was a little worried when I read 'Smart Casual & Above' was skirt/trousers - I know we all should wear what we feel comfortable in, just didn't want to look to out of place! But I will be going for it as you suggest and will definitely enjoy lol!

Fantastic! Have fun...that's what it is all about. :D

I too was a bit worried about the "smart casual" designation. However. I found that most women dressed really nicely (maybe 4 categories above their mates) for dinner. So it was not unusual to see a man dressed in a collared shirt and nice slacls and a woman dressed in a lovely dressy dress.

A very nice upscale mix. I wore my nice dresses (knee length) and heels/jewelry when my husband wore a nice collared shirt with or without blazer. we were both happy.

We have generally travelled on Cunard and also was confused but aside from formal and semi formal being one and the same--it was the same dress code for Celebrity

hope this helps and do enjoy your vacation

When we did our Med cruise out of Civitivecchia we found that not a lot of people dressed up on the non-formal nights (we did, of course). But, on our Baltics cruise out of Southampton we found most women were in dresses, and most men in tie and jacket every night. Interestingly, the demographic on the Med cruise was mostly North American, while in the Baltics was mostly British, so perhaps nationality had something to do with it.

When we did our Med cruise out of Civitivecchia we found that not a lot of people dressed up on the non-formal nights (we did' date=' of course). But, on our Baltics cruise out of Southampton we found most women were in dresses, and most men in tie and jacket every night. Interestingly, the demographic on the Med cruise was mostly North American, while in the Baltics was mostly British, so perhaps nationality had something to do with it.[/quote']

I think it's moreso "weight limits on flights" had something to do with it lol

Sorry to be contrarian, but no way would I wear a long 'gown' on a non formal night. A long casual (sun type) dress maybe, but surely not a 'gown'. I would feel totally out of place and everyone would think I had my nights mixed up. Been on many cruises and have never seen this. If you were at a table with other passenegers, I think it would make them feel uncomfortable.

But just as everyone else seems to think here, it's your vacation and do as you please!

Whenever I see people who are dressed formally on casual nights, I never think that they are out of step. I always assume that they are celebrating something.

And, why not? Every day is a day to celebrate. Frankly, every day that I wake up in the morning, still breathing, with no chest pains - AND, I can put one foot in front of the other, is a cause for celebration.

I personally am a casual type, and never have liked to dress up. (However, I do dress up for formal nights.) But, I always enjoy looking at people who dress up.

So, don't worry about "fitting in". Everyone fits in - in the mosaic of life.

We first started cruising so that we could dress up as well. It is likely that you will be the only person wearing an evening gown [as opposed to a long summer dress as were fashionable last summer] on a non-formal night but the code is "Smart Casual and above". How much you will stand out will depend on the itinerary as, from experience, some are more formal than others. I think that Eclipse next September is in the Caribbean. We have not cruise in the Caribbean yet but I understand they these cruises are particularly informal and you may even stand out on a formal night. Having said that, don't let it worry you. On Eclipse in the Caribbean our 40th wedding anniversary is very likely to be a non-formal night and we both intend to dress to the nines!

Sue

I also like to dress up on formal nights but instead of a long gown on smart casual nights why not try a cocktail dress which would not be so formal or as others suggested a sun dress, that is what I do. We are on the silhouette this april out of bayonne and are not flying so there are no weight restrictions, GO FOR IT

I too was a bit worried about the "smart casual" designation. However. I found that most women dressed really nicely (maybe 4 categories above their mates) for dinner. So it was not unusual to see a man dressed in a collared shirt and nice slacls and a woman dressed in a lovely dressy dress.

A very nice upscale mix. I wore my nice dresses (knee length) and heels/jewelry when my husband wore a nice collared shirt with or without blazer. we were both happy.

We have generally travelled on Cunard and also was confused but aside from formal and semi formal being one and the same--it was the same dress code for Celebrity

hope this helps and do enjoy your vacation

Thank you for your reply, really appreciate it - we have travelled on Cunard and your clarification has helped - good to hear its on par with Cunard :)

Whenever I see people who are dressed formally on casual nights, I never think that they are out of step. I always assume that they are celebrating something.

And, why not? Every day is a day to celebrate. Frankly, every day that I wake up in the morning, still breathing, with no chest pains - AND, I can put one foot in front of the other, is a cause for celebration.

I personally am a casual type, and never have liked to dress up. (However, I do dress up for formal nights.) But, I always enjoy looking at people who dress up.

So, don't worry about "fitting in". Everyone fits in - in the mosaic of life.

I so love your attitude to life!!! Mind made up I will be wearing long evening dresses on 'Smart Casual' as well as formal nights, I am going to make the most of my holiday and do what I enjoy doing dressing up, heels and all!! :):)

I didn't find the people dressed up (mediterranean cruise) on the smart casual nights, but honestly, who cares what other people think. If you're dressed within the code (or above in this case) I don't see what the problem would be.

Thank you I agree :)

Sorry to be contrarian, but no way would I wear a long 'gown' on a non formal night. A long casual (sun type) dress maybe, but surely not a 'gown'. I would feel totally out of place and everyone would think I had my nights mixed up. Been on many cruises and have never seen this. If you were at a table with other passenegers, I think it would make them feel uncomfortable.

But just as everyone else seems to think here, it's your vacation and do as you please!

I hear what your saying, its not for everyone. Mind made up long evening dresses for both Formal and Smart Casual! To me this is part of Cruising, I love the getting ready in the evening before dinner, the glamour, make-up and heels, gosh I feel excited already, got to wait until Sept 2012 :(

We first started cruising so that we could dress up as well. It is likely that you will be the only person wearing an evening gown [as opposed to a long summer dress as were fashionable last summer] on a non-formal night but the code is "Smart Casual and above". How much you will stand out will depend on the itinerary as, from experience, some are more formal than others. I think that Eclipse next September is in the Caribbean. We have not cruise in the Caribbean yet but I understand they these cruises are particularly informal and you may even stand out on a formal night. Having said that, don't let it worry you. On Eclipse in the Caribbean our 40th wedding anniversary is very likely to be a non-formal night and we both intend to dress to the nines!

Sue

Hiya Sue - we are going to the Med - having sailed with Cunard I have been given the impression that the Eclipse is on par with them when it comes to dressing up in the evening - I love my dresses, make-up and heels, so have decided to go for it lol Happy Ruby Anniversary, have a great trip :)

I also like to dress up on formal nights but instead of a long gown on smart casual nights why not try a cocktail dress which would not be so formal or as others suggested a sun dress, that is what I do. We are on the silhouette this april out of bayonne and are not flying so there are no weight restrictions, GO FOR IT

Thank u - dressing up is great, I do have a selection of cocktail dresses to take, its just that I have about 5 favorite long dresses that I like to wear as I feel so nice in them and we only have 3 Formal nights :( - so I will be taking a mixture of dresses but will wear some long dresses on the Smart Casual night - enjoy your cruise in April x

Archived