Half Day in Rome?

3travelersgo

We will be sailing RCI in July. One of the ports is the Rome port (I know it's not really Rome). The ship offers a 5hr Panoramic tour of Rome that ends with a tour of the Vatican. Has anyone taken this before?

We are not looking to spend 9 hrs in Rome in July-- we have a full day planned both the day before and the day after. My husband has medical issues, and we're afraid to go 3 days straight-- he may need a break in the middle.

With this in mind, we are also wondering if we can book a shore excursion that morning if he feels up to a full day. We can't be that close to Rome and not go see any of it.

Any thoughts? Thank you in advance-- I find these boards so helpful!

Jane

I can relate because my DH is older and has mobility issues. So for Med cruises, we don't plan activities for some ports and instead 'play them by ear' and see how he feels those days.

Everyone has different interests, but Rome is ROME! For us, no other port would compare and we'd make Rome the priority port.

That said, does the excursion you're interested in end with a tour of the Vatican Museums or St. Peter's Basilica? I ask because the Vatican Museums are huge and involve a ton of walking and a huge crowd. Given your situation, I would avoid the Vatican Museums. That would be tiring, even for healthy people. If it is St. Peter's Basilica, that would be great and very manageable.

Archived