RCCL - Certification of need for HC cabin when completeing on-line checkin

xxoocruiser

In completing my on-line checkin for my upcoming RCCL cruise I noticed there has been an addition made regarding HC cabins. The very last step i on-line checkin process is to actually certify the need for the HC cabin. This was not required for my cruise in November 2012. Below is the wording that has been added to the on-line check .

• Certify that a guest in my reservation has a mobility or other disability that requires the use of an accessible stateroom. Please check this box so that we have verified your need for the accessible stateroom. It may be possible that you have legitimately booked an accessible stateroom (for example, all non-accessible staterooms were sold out and you were offered an accessible stateroom), in which case you do not need to check this box

Not certain this really means anything or will even help because of the the second line stating It may be possible that you have legitimately booked an accessible stateroom (for example, all non-accessible staterooms were sold out and you were offered an accessible stateroom), in which case you do not need to check this box. At least it's a step in the right direction.

If the ADA would back down and allow the cruise lines to obtain something similar to the requirements for handicap parking permit, the AB would not be able to book the cabins. A notation could be added to the individual's cruise member program, thus a record on file. True, a form would be required for each different cruise line. For our cruises last fall, I filled out seven separate special needs forms for both Ruth and myself. With a record on file, I would not had to fill out any.

Below is the Minnesota list of conditions that meet the eligibility requirements for HC parking permit. In my opinion, this is not invasive, however others may feel this is invasive. For those that feel it is invasive, I think they are being unreasonable by expecting the cruise lines to fully monitor the usage of the accessible cabins. That is my opinion, it is not meant to be argumentative.

To be eligible for a disability parking certificate the applicant must meet one or more of the below described definition(s) of a "physically disabled person". The applicant is eligible if:

A. They have a cardiac condition to the extent that functional limitations are classified in severity according to the standards set by the American Heart Association.

B. They use portable oxygen.

C. They are restricted by a respiratory disease.

D. They have lost an arm or a leg and do not have or cannot use an artificial limb.

E. *They cannot walk without the aid of: another person or device, e.g., wheelchair or cane.

F. *Walking 200 feet would be life threatening.

G. *They cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.

H. *They cannot walk without a significant risk of falling.

I. *They have a specific medical condition related to pregnancy.

*Conditions E through I must specifically identify the disability.

Determination of eligibility is based on the physician or chiropractor's signature. Persons with hidden disabilities (heart conditions, non-visible mobility impairments) should not hesitate to apply.

Betty

A process similar to the application requirements for HC placards really would not do much to stop the practice of an able body person booking an HC cabin. In fact I've been told that as much as 25% ( if not more) of HC placards in use have been obtain fruedulantly or are counterfiets . So if State Governments cannot control who is to truly get an HC placard , just how do you think a similar application process to book and HC cabin could be controlled by the Cruise Lines ? HC applications have to be signed by a doctor and unfortunately there are some doctors that will sign anything for buck.

Why would the need to use a cane require an accessible room ? I was just wondering. I'm a full time W/C user and have to book a year in advance to get an accessible room.

That goes back to the issue of “accessible” vs “handicap”. It would be ideal if the cruise lines could provide specialized cabins for each specific handicap. I doubt that would ever happen.

Maybe the person using the cane cannot lift that one foot to get into the bathroom. Likewise, the blind person cannot see that step into the bathroom. Does either need the wide door ways and additional space? Not likely. So where do we put them?

We also book our cruises a year or more in advance. A fact that we have accepted.

I agree that there would still be people that would abuse it, but hopefully it would eliminate some of the problems. Our reluctance to provide the cruise line with any form of valid proof of our needs limits their ability to monitor the usage of the cabins.

Is there fraud with HC parking permits? Sure, but I would like to think it is less than suggested. Of course, my father always said that I trust people too much.

Betty

0082.gif

I agree that there would still be people that would abuse it, but hopefully it would eliminate some of the problems. Our reluctance to provide the cruise line with any form of valid proof of our needs limits their ability to monitor the usage of the cabins.

Please do not include me when you state "Our reluntance to provide .........." Personally have no issues with providing any information that needed as long it does not violate my rights under US Federal Privacy Laws . That's the real issue at hand. How can the cruise lines handle it and not violate anyones rights ?

Is there fraud with HC parking permits? Sure, but I would like to think it is less than suggested. Of course, my father always said that I trust people too much.

In some states that percentage is lower and some it's higher. Regardless the information was told to me by a person of authority whose's job it is to work the department in my state government to help curb this problem.

Some states don't take this fruad as seriously as others and some keep changing and tightening ( kudos to those states ) to curb this fruad. None the less ,even if the placard has been received honestly, just go into a parking lot any day of the week and you see that it's being used fraudulently. In my state it's coded as to whether the placard is registered to a F/M and a with the Month/Date of birth. So it's very easy to see when a someone is fruadulently using it and it wouldn't surprise if some of those individuals wouldn't have an issue completing any form that is required in order to obtain a HC cabin for the larger. After all they're already going after the larger parking spaces.

The question is asked when a passenger is doing online checkin? Seems a little late in the process.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask that question at time of booking ... and for the cruiseline not to accept a deposit nor confirm a reservation until the required info is provided?

The question is asked when a passenger is doing online checkin? Seems a little late in the process.

Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask that question at time of booking ... and for the cruiseline not to accept a deposit nor confirm a reservation until the required info is provided?

Fully agree ! But at least it's a start.

However, it should be noted that when I booked my upcoming RCCL cruise, the REP on the phone immediately emailed me a special needs form and told me he would be following up with me in a few days to confirm that the form was filled out . Otherwise I could loose my HC Cabin booking. Not certain if that was just good work on the Reps part or if that's a new RCCL requirement .

Than yesterday when I made my final payment the REP again reviewed everything on the phone with me and again confirmed that RCCL had the completed Special Needs Form to ensure I wouldn't loose my HC cabin. So maybe some things are changing even if only by baby steps.

booked an accessible HC cabin yesterday.this is the first time DH have not been asked to complete the form attesting to HIS disability, such as his use of a wheelchair with its dimensions, among other questions for other disabilites . simply checking a box on a computer agreeing that he is disabled is not doing the job. seems to be making it easier for the AB passengers to secure HC cabins

Our TA has on file all the specs for Oscar. Any cruise line we have used before gets it alutomatically I guess. We don't fill anything out anylonger. I do advise them of some needs so they are prepaired. I have a letter I send stating whe we are, his condition, and all the equipment he uses. I guess they figure anyone lugging all that stuff around has a reason.

Please do not take my comments personal. The comment was made in very general terms since I have seen many become very hostile just at the idea of the cruise lines inquiring about their need for an accessible cabin. There needs to be a compromise.

Personally, I lack the ability to understand why an individual would be reluctant to provide the handicap condition to the cruise lines. Providing the info would only help themselves.

Bett

Why would the need to use a cane require an accessible room ? I was just wondering. I'm a full time W/C user and have to book a year in advance to get an accessible room.

I don't use a WC or even a cane, but I do require HC accommodations. I wear lower leg braces that allow me to walk a straight line, but anything requiring me to stand on one foot while shifting my weight will most likely cause me to fall. Stepping over a raised door frame, especially in the middle of the night when I'm half asleep and have my braces off for sleeping, is an accident waiting to happen. As a result, I have to book a cabin designed for WC access.

booked an accessible HC cabin yesterday.this is the first time DH have not been asked to complete the form attesting to HIS disability, such as his use of a wheelchair with its dimensions, among other questions for other disabilites . simply checking a box on a computer agreeing that he is disabled is not doing the job. seems to be making it easier for the AB passengers to secure HC cabins

Have you noticed that anyone can book a handicap cabin with RCCL online now. i was browsing rccl site for a cruise and they now have a box to check just for a handicap cabin when booking on line. At least in the past you had to call the special needs dept to get your handicap cabin(could not book online)Wont be long now that we wont be able to get one because they will all be taken once the public notices these changes and how easy it is to book these cabins. They also have there own cat on rccl site starting on april 21.

RC has also added the dimensions of the HC vs. standard cabins to their website. I have very mixed feelings about that. On the positive side, I can book an HC cabin online now when I am travelling with my mom instead of waiting on hold for a customer service rep. On the negative side, I have a feeling that dishonest people will see the HC cabins are larger than the regular ones and book them.

I know a couple people without disabilities who regularly park in designated handicapped spaces because they believe it is not right for disabled people to get "prime" parking spots. I have tried to explain that it's not a matter of the "prime" parking - I need the extra space on the side to get my mom's wheelchair between vehicles so she can get in. I can see those same people thinking - why should a disabled person have more cabin space than me and check the box to book an HC cabin.

Archived