Really DUMB question -- Imagination KW/COZ?

AXiDMonica

Okay so... this is a REALLY DUMB question but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

I have never been on the Key West/Cozumel itinerary on the Fantasy Class ships. I've done it on the Destiny and Freedom only. I've only sailed Fantasy class ships to Nassau on the 3 day itins.

So... I'm worried about sailing to Cozumel on the Imagination because I'm afraid a smaller ship will rock a lot. I'm a huge chicken, as you can tell.

Can anyone give me some insight on this? Does the size of the ship make a difference? This is assuming the weather is normal, of course.

(Obviously, if there is crazy weather it doesnt matter how big the ship is.)

Thanks!

Given reasonably calm seas you won't know the difference. To tell you the truth I've never noticed the motion of the ship on a Fantasy Class until the seas reach about seven feet... pretty much the same as the other classes of ships...

:)

We've only sailed Spirit-class ships (Legend, Miracle) on Western itineraries and smooth sailing all the way. Always had way-forward balconies on Deck 7 as the old squid (DH) likes to look up and wave to the bridge. Only issue was sometimes at night the bed would gently shimmy back and forth. The Gulf is usually pretty smooth and not a problem on a large ship. A small sailboat, all bets are off.

We were on the Imagination (4 day KW/COZ) at the beginning of December. On elegant night, hubby (and many others) were seasick. I ended up going to dinner alone :( In my experience, when you're making the crossover from Gulf to Ocean (or vice versa) you tend to experience a little rockier seas. Now, I think there may have been a tropical storm to help (not) the situation.

Sol y Mar

We've sailed Sensation (same class) and never felt the ship rock . We sailed the Dream (MUCH larger class) this past October and I felt it rock a TON. More then any ship i've ever been one. I even got sick one night :( SO I think you'll be good on the Imagination! (we are sailing her in 9 days!)

The roughest seas I ever encountered was going back thru the Gulf Stream on the Holiday (46,000 Gross Tons), a small ship. Cozumel was one of our Ports during that cruise, no problems there. The turbulence thru the Gulf was worse than any hurricane we have sailed in. I think you will be fine in a 70,000 Gross Ton ship if the weather is calm. Take some seasick meds, patches, pills (the ones that do not make you drowsy) just to give yourself some peace of mind.

I remember hearing on a special about the Oasis of the Seas that the wider the ship is, the more stable up to a point.

We were on the Imagination during the first week of January. It was very windy and the water was choppy as we were heading down to Cozumel. That night (after we left Key West) was a bit of a rough ride and many people missed their lobster dinner that night, including us! But by the next morning, all was well.

We were on the Imagination (4 day KW/COZ) at the beginning of December. On elegant night, hubby (and many others) were seasick. I ended up going to dinner alone :( In my experience, when you're making the crossover from Gulf to Ocean (or vice versa) you tend to experience a little rockier seas. Now, I think there may have been a tropical storm to help (not) the situation.

Sol y Mar

The first week of December was rocky for us too on the Legend. I think it was a windy week!

The Fascination - KW/Cozumel cruise has been our smoothest cruise yet.

To be on the safe side, pick a cabin on a lower deck midship.

When we did the 4 night Imagination, we sailed with friends and family scattered all over the ship. The, seas were wickedly rough. Shows were canceled, seasickness bags were placed everywhere, and announcements were constantly made.

Our friends towards the middle had no issues. Our friends in a porthole cabin all the way forward missed two days in bed seasick and throwing up. We had an aft oceanview cabin and although we experienced some weird sideways rumbling, we didn't get sick.

I would just like to add that I always pre-treat for possible motion sickness, regardless of whether I think it's needed. In my case, (and I convinced Hubby of this for this cruise and he finally had no problems either), I take a bonine every morning and a dramamine every night. I start the DAY BEFORE the cruise.

To this gal, who has experienced serious seasickness in the past, this is a formula that works perfectly for me. (and one I learned off Cruise Critic at some point). :D

Just returned from the Imagination. It was our first and probably last cruise because we found it too rough (even with meds). I don't think that the conditions were really bad for most of the trip, but the motion was fairly constant. Two nights we were awakened to what we thought was thunder but was waves hitting the bow (we were on U deck porthole room). You could easily see towels hanging in the bathroom swaying. Since it was night, I couldn't really tell the size of the swells, but I could see some whitecaps. There was an almost constant crosswind for most of the trip in the 25-40mph range. Meds helped, but more than a day off the ship I still feel like I'm swaying.

Just returned from the Imagination. It was our first and probably last cruise because we found it too rough (even with meds). I don't think that the conditions were really bad for most of the trip, but the motion was fairly constant. Two nights we were awakened to what we thought was thunder but was waves hitting the bow (we were on U deck porthole room). You could easily see towels hanging in the bathroom swaying. Since it was night, I couldn't really tell the size of the swells, but I could see some whitecaps. There was an almost constant crosswind for most of the trip in the 25-40mph range. Meds helped, but more than a day off the ship I still feel like I'm swaying.

Porthole rooms and the time of year really make a huge difference, so keep that in mind. Our cruises that took place in April were ridiculously calm. There wasn't a wave in sight on our first two, both in April. Our last 3 cruises have been really bumpy, one in September from NYC - Carribbean and then the other 2 in early December. I do think that cruising during hurricane season and during the winter make a difference. If you like cruising, definitely try it again in the spring/summer. I think you'll fine it to be a lot smoother. Also, the middle of the ship has a lot less motion. We've stayed in portholes up front. Also - try the patch behind the ear! They really work for me.

Archived