Suggestions for cruise from New Orleans

MoneyGuy

We'll be in New Orleans in October for a conference and I'd love to add on a cruise (maybe seven days), since we'll be there anyway. Can anyone suggest a cruise? We've cruised three times through the Caribbean before so that's not new. We could do a fourth Caribbean cruise, I suppose, or maybe the Panama Canal (which we've never done). I'd love to cruise the Mississippi river, but I hear they're very costly. What do you suggest?

We'll be in New Orleans in October for a conference and I'd love to add on a cruise (maybe seven days), since we'll be there anyway. Can anyone suggest a cruise? We've cruised three times through the Caribbean before so that's not new. We could do a fourth Caribbean cruise, I suppose, or maybe the Panama Canal (which we've never done). I'd love to cruise the Mississippi river, but I hear they're very costly. What do you suggest?

NCL's ships out of New Orleans generally do the Western Caribbean itinerary. This is Costa Maya (Mexico), Roatan (Honduras), Belize (Belize), and Cozumel (Mexico) on a 7 day run. Don't know if you've done that itinerary before, but it's different from the typical Eastern Caribbean itineraries.

Here's a link with info about cruises going the other way - upriver:

http://www.mississippirivercruises.com/

I believe the only options for October will be one of the two Carnival ships (Elation for 4 or 5 night and Conquest for 7 nights). The NCL (Star) and the RCI (Navigator of the Seas) ships do not return until November I believe.

What do you mean the Conquest doesn't cruise up the Mississippi? I have been on it and going again. Maybe not in the fall or winter but it is doing it now.

The confusion is caused by the use of the term "cruise the Mississippi." There are smaller, riverboat style cruise ships that cruise up and down the Mississippi river itself, but do not go out to sea.

The ocean-going cruise ships that dock in New Orleans do spend the first few hours (and the last few hours) of their cruises in the Mississippi river, but this is only in transit from the ocean to or from the dock.

Archived