Port of LA Parking and baggage handling

KINGSFAN1

Cruising on Sapphire Feb 25,out of the Port of LA ,I was wondering how crowded the parking is and how hard is it to get a porter in the parking lot?I live about 60 miles away and was thinking of driving,the last cruise we used the shuttle round trip and it was okay, but we had to wait quite awhile to load and return home and of course we were last since we were the furthest away. It's been about eight years since I last drove there and parking was crowded and I had to drop my bags off myself and then walk up the incline to the terminal. Just wonder if things have changed there or not. Appreciate any info.

Happy cruising

You would drive up to the terminal, drop off your bag with the porter, and go park. There are shuttles to take you back to the terminal where you check in and board. Every time we've driven up, there were plenty of porters just waiting to grab our bags. Barely time to think and tip them.

Most of our cruises have been out of the Port of LA (San Pedro) and I don't remember the parking lot being crowded. There could be plenty of action with cars leaving or arriving but usually most of the incoming passengers aren't coming until the late morning at the earliest and by that time, the disembarking passengers should be gone.

We have used a car service for our last two cruises, just because we were on two-week cruises and our car trunks wouldn't have fit all that stuff. And we're about 50 miles away.

What I always suggest is driving up to the berth, unloading passengers and luggage, and then the driver drives down to the lot. After parking, the driver can walk back up or jump on the parking lot shuttle. There's plenty of porters outside each terminal. I guess if it's just you, you can park your car and then wait for the shuttle -- not sure how doable that is.

Archived