Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Hard to believe it has been a month now since the night this tragedy unfolded in front of us. The first images were shocking enough, the events and stories that followed afterwards even more so. The loss of life was completely avoidable.

Jan. 13, 2012

6861878245_47b0af82ae_b.jpg

The photo shows that there was no need for passengers and crew to have to clamber down the port side of the ship on rope ladders etc later in the evening.

All that was needed was for the passengers who we can clearly see waiting on the port side forward decks to walk down to the aft starboard side and STEP I emphasise STEP into a life boat if they (the life boats) would have returned from dropping passengers off at the dock. It would have been a simple shuttle service to the dock.

A terrible bungled mess from start to finish.

The French Govt’s. knowledge of and involvement in the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior would not have come to light if not for the efforts of individuals who had no expertise other than being observant and reporting what they saw. ( no different than what is being done on this forum)

But Oz, the difference between those in NZ and this forum's contributors is that the New Zealanders were there to witness it. They reported what they saw within the context of what was going on all around at the time. I don't think, in recent history, that a case was brought to court on the hearsay of a third party

This is an interesting article which includes the complete bridge video and at the end the Costa CEO is talking about booking being down 35% and the may have to rename the line....................to what?http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/12/costa-concordia-video-crew-panicking?newsfeed=true

Here is the first part with an English overdub:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16641543

Here is another one at the end of this article but no translation, so I have no idea what it says. I'm including it in case someone can translate from Romanian.

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=ro&u=http://www.adevarul.ro/moldova/social/Domnica_Cemortan-supravietuitoare_de_pe_Concordia-_-Am_salvat_mai_multe_vieti_0_628737645.html&ei=vkUcT-HFCoScOu-4yaYL&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=8&ved=0CFEQ7gEwBw&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAdevarul%2BChisinau%2Bdomnica%2Bcemortan%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26rlz%3D1G1ACAW_ENUK463%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D613%26prmd%3Dimvnsu

I can't find the second half of the first interview...I need to take a break. I'm uncovering so much foul, freaky, violent hatred I feel physically ill. There's a video out there about her being a reptile, and it's terrifying. The comments are even worse. I'm seriously nauseated and I think I need some innocence and laughter before I decide that the world is too sick to continue.

Where is the link to her being a reptile ?

What I don't understand is at the very beginning of this video she states "my job required me to go to the bridge to translate" What job? Her contract had ended and she was on board as a passenger. Surely they had all the translators they needed and didn't have to rely on her. Who is she kidding?

You keep forgetting that by her own bragadocia, she is very muti talented. :D

Oh, I'm with 'ya on that one.

I personally resent her trying to assert authority where she had none. When I'm on the boat, I play by Costa's rules. As soon as my feet hit dry land, your (the cruise line's) power over me is over.

To paraphrase an old adage: "the hand that rocks the Captain" has power and authority..........;)

This is an interesting article which includes the complete bridge video and at the end the Costa CEO is talking about booking being down 35% and the may have to rename the line....................to what?http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/feb/12/costa-concordia-video-crew-panicking?newsfeed=true

To bad, no video with it. I wonder if they would just change the name costa.

But Oz, the difference between those in NZ and this forum's contributors is that the New Zealanders were there to witness it. They reported what they saw within the context of what was going on all around at the time. I don't think, in recent history, that a case was brought to court on the hearsay of a third party

I agree.

and would add, that I don't think that this thread is trying (no pun) to act as judge, jury or assist the investigation team.

I think that it is a human interest story and as such some are more interested than others. The posts on this forum have, for me, added to my interest in the official court proceeding and to see how that is reported and if it marries with what I have gained from this thread. More than anything it would be a wonderful case study to use if you were involved in media studies at an education institution.

If this thread has served no other purpose than to bring together a group of people from around the world with a common interest in cruising/ cruise industry to share opinions in a pleasant environment then it has been very worthwhile.

Maybe the court should. ;)

What we are doing, using videos and print articles, is trying to put together the story. Our discussions are not in an official capacity. They are not going out for the masses to read. They are up for debate, which we do on here with most of them being in a non hostile manner. Nobody is claiming to be an expert.

Stop for a second. I think you've hit on a capitol idea. We can all audition for a brand new Reality Show: "The Cocordia Jury". We get to deliberate and decide the guilt or innocnce of all the players.

We just redo a live and in person replay of all the posts on this thread.

I havent heard anything about a private boat. Unless she went with the captain. I wonder if this trial will be on the internet. This would be very interesting to follow.

Private boat? Is this a rumour I haven't yet heard?

I think Smurfette is suggesting that Dominica was with the Captain on his private launch or he had reserved a space for her on a special life boat for VIPs.

I havent heard anything about a private boat. Unless she went with the captain. I wonder if this trial will be on the internet. This would be very interesting to follow.

According to her, she went on a lifeboat with about 30 people. It was a horrible launch (which would make sense if it was after midnight). Then they dragged at least two people from the water before heading back to shore. She mentioned the nationalities of the ones they rescued, but I no longer remember. She talked about passengers on the lifeboat complaining (loudly) because they weren't going to shore right away. I think hers is also the story that complained that a passenger lit up a cigarette in the lifeboat. (Just because I think she's being unfairly maligned, doesn't mean I think she'd qualify to be my best friend! :D)

This was all in the second half of the Moldavan TV interview that I can't find anymore.

I found it interesting that the Redfords from the UK also said they left the ship in a lifeboat with about 30 people. If I were a journalist, I'd have followed that up.

Here's the thing. All these stories should have witnesses. They mention other people. It should be easy to verify.

Several people were allegedly dragged from the water. Remember Katya (I'm not sure of her name...I believe her last name also started with a K) who posted right away on Facebook? She also talked about dragging people from the water and stripping them of their wet clothes...I remember because she was outraged that one of the passengers was filming it.

Yet I haven't read a single account from someone who was taken from the water, have you?

If the journalists put in some effort, I'm sure they could clear up the innuendo in no time. Were there announcements in Russian? Ask a Russian passenger! Done!

According to her, she went on a lifeboat with about 30 people. It was a horrible launch (which would make sense if it was after midnight). Then they dragged at least two people from the water before heading back to shore. She mentioned the nationalities of the ones they rescued, but I no longer remember. She talked about passengers on the lifeboat complaining (loudly) because they weren't going to shore right away. I think hers is also the story that complained that a passenger lit up a cigarette in the lifeboat. (Just because I think she's being unfairly maligned, doesn't mean I think she'd qualify to be my best friend! :D)

This was all in the second half of the Moldavan TV interview that I can't find anymore.

I found it interesting that the Redfords from the UK also said they left the ship in a lifeboat with about 30 people. If I were a journalist, I'd have followed that up.

Here's the thing. All these stories should have witnesses. They mention other people. It should be easy to verify.

Several people were allegedly dragged from the water. Remember Katya (I'm not sure of her name...I believe her last name also started with a K) who posted right away on Facebook? She also talked about dragging people from the water and stripping them of their wet clothes...I remember because she was outraged that one of the passengers was filming it.

Yet I haven't read a single account from someone who was taken from the water, have you?

If the journalists put in some effort, I'm sure they could clear up the innuendo in no time. Were there announcements in Russian? Ask a Russian passenger! Done!

Even though I'm one of Dominica's "maligners", I've still got your back. A word of warning, Dominica has you listed as her BFF on facebook....;)

This sequence of shots seems to show that as she turns, a large object is revealed under the poncho. The shadow outlines the shape of the object and distinguishes it from the stiff creases in the fabric.

Well, her hands are in front of her holding on her "blanket"...you can see the outline of her left arm when she turns to the camera. So it would have to be a shoulder strap, right? With the bag hanging to her left side somewhere past her hip and extending back several inches? Then why no swinging movement from the "bag"? No posture indication either.

I still say, just stiff papery fabric. It is extending in a cone shape from where she is holding it and just starting to bend a bit at the bottom.

Where is the link to her being a reptile ?

It's a youtube video, but you'll have to find it yourself because I'm not going back to searching through all the hate. Even a lovely sweet romantic comedy didn't get me over it...I had to bring out the big guns...animation followed by fuzzy kitten photos!

kitten.jpg

Here's an interesting article from a South African newspaper (especially as regards the lifeboat the couple were in).

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/we-won-t-let-ship-ordeal-spoil-holiday-1.1214098

LOL!

Since she's now getting more hate mail than Hitler, I probably am her BFF by comparison!

I have never figured out why she gets the bad press from the (bad) press and others.

IF she was/is his lover... so what.

As best we know, he ran the ship into the rock and caused the tragedy... but why pick on her.

If he was showing off to impress her.....why blame her. Blame him.

If his wife was accompanying him on the cruise and she was on the bridge when the incident occurred would we blame her?

People are usually tougher on women than men especially if there is a scandal.

As far as we know she wasn't at the wheel takin' the boat for a spin.

Don't blame her.... Blame him.

It's a youtube video, but you'll have to find it yourself because I'm not going back to searching through all the hate.

I believe this is her second interview but I can't find an English translation so if our Italian friends could help out that would be great:

Also, here is the video of her on the island:

I believe this is her second interview but I can't find an English translation so if our Italian friends could help out that would be great:

Also, here is the video of her on the island:

The one I can't find is the second half of the interview she gave for the Moldavian television station...so it has the backdrop of that blue illustration with the staircases. Unlike the BBC link, this one had English subtitles. (I chose the BBC link for the first half because it seemed to be a closer translation than the ones with the subtitles)

Pumping of the first tank of fuel completed. Now they are on to the second tank:

From Italian Blitz daily:

GENOA - It 'was completed this morning at 9 of pumping 103 cubic meters of fuel from the first tank of the Costa Concordia. This was announced by the company 'Costa cruise shipping.

The technicians of Blacks / Smit Salvage & are continuing now with the pumping of the second tank. The pumping began yesterday afternoon at 17, continues to speed 'of 10 cubic meters per hour, thanks to good weather conditions.''

February 13, 2012 | 14:09

The one I can't find is the second half of the interview she gave for the Moldavian television station...so it has the backdrop of that blue illustration with the staircases. Unlike the BBC link, this one had English subtitles. (I chose the BBC link for the first half because it seemed to be a closer translation than the ones with the subtitles)
Could this be it?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9027129/Cruise-disaster-Costa-Concordia-mystery-blonde-defends-captain-Francesco-Schettino.html

Archived