Partial Review of NCL Star--Hawaii 4/18/04

sassycassie

A REVIEW OF THE NCL STAR—Cruise taken 4/18/04 thru 4/25/04. It has taken awhile to get this review in the works. Seems like we had a million things to do when we got back home. All that is here now is a partial review (covering roughly half of the cruise)—the balance will come as soon as I get it done--whenever that will be. Anyway here goes:

Preamble: Due to a “small†hitch caused when the pricing on our airfare changed, we found out the night before we were to leave that 3W (wise, wonderful, wife) did not actually have a ticket. She had a reservation, but no ticket! Whether this was the fault of the TA or the airline, we will never know, but it caused us to drive out to O’Hare airport Friday night to get the matter straightened out. This did NOT seem to be a good beginning; especially considering the problems we had had getting our documents. Since it did work out OK, I guess it belongs under the heading “all’s well that ends well.â€

Day 1: Left the house at about 6:20 am. Boy, is that early! Got to the airport in less than 20 minutes, checked bags curbside, went through security (including the complete hand check/pat down I have to endure each time because my artificial hips ALWAYS set off the metal detector), checked in at ticket counter, and walked to our gate; all in about 30 minutes. Now we have about 1 hour and 45 minutes to wait. Didn’t seem long, though. Got on the plane and barely sat down, when the pilot came on and said we were pulling out. I have never seen, or been on, a plane that left the dock so quick—exactly on the scheduled leave time. Then we seemed only to taxi for about 3 minutes when the pilot said, “OK, we are next ones off!†Seconds later we are airborne!! We left Chicago O’Hare Airport like someone was chasing us! Someone must have been, because we arrived in Honolulu almost 30 minutes EARLY. Pilot said we didn’t have the headwinds usually expected this time of year. This was the longest flight we have ever been on, but it seemed really easy. Maybe anticipation played a part, but it sure seemed to go smoothly.

We traveled to Honolulu a day early; to be sure we got there on time. Stayed at the DoubleTree Alana for the one night. Nice hotel, a Hilton property, just down the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village where we planned to spend our 5 day post cruise time. We did walk down to the HHV to get a preview. It is impressive! More on that later.

The flight was easy, but we were still tired—it was now about 9 pm Chicago time, but only 4 pm Honolulu time. So we just walked across the street and had dinner at Tony Roma’s Rib place. Nice place, not too fancy, with good food, and relatively easy prices. We got in early so the place was empty to start, but filled up fast as the dinner hour approached. The chicken I had was terrific! Dinner done, all we could then manage was back to hotel and get ready for embarkation on the morrow!

Day 2: I am not a big sleeper, and I woke up very early Sunday morning (around 6 am), and when I did I was able to see the Star coming in to Honolulu on the end of its 4/11/04 cruise. Woke up 3W (wise, wonderful, wife) to see this neat thing. Not sure she was as impressed as I was with seeing this majestic ship slide toward the harbor.

When we got up for real (which was still fairly early), we had breakfast at the Wailana Restaurant. Got idea that from these boards, and it was a good one. It was less than a block from the Alana, so it was perfect for location. Meal was hearty and not sky high price wise. We got there about 8:30 am and walked right in. When we left there was a line all the way out the door along the sidewalk for about ten yards. The place is popular, so get in early!

After breakfast we reworked the packing of our suitcases a little bit to provide for embarkation procedures, then got a cab and on our way to Pier 10 and the Star. Finally!!

Embarkation was easy as pie. We arrived about 11:30 am. Got our bags over to the check in area and watched them taken in for screening; then we went through the security line with the usual result. They did go through our extra film package very thoroughly, but things were handled quickly and efficiently. There were lots of check-in counters available, so we just picked one and got checked in quickly. They took our mug shots, and cut our key cards in about 5 minutes or less. It took us longer to walk through the terminal to the ship than it took to get checked in.

Next stop was mini suite 11068, on the starboard side amidships. Our home away from home for the next week! It was exactly as pictured. Great balcony. The bathroom was not quite as big as ours at home, but almost, and very well set up. The vacuum toilet does take a bit of getting used to, but is sure works! One of 3W’s friends from work was kind enough to arrange a “Bon Voyage†package for us! The room was decorated with balloons and a big “Bon Voyage†sign—there was a large and wonderful tasting cake and a bottle of great Sauvignon Blanc. It was very touching and a wonderful send off. We both truly appreciated this lovely gesture.

We ventured out to reconnoiter the ship. We had planned to do that instead of going back ashore, but then 3W decided she wanted to mail postcards from the dock, so she went “over the side†while I marched around the ship. Before she went ashore, however, we went to the Atrium deck to make our reservation for Le Bistro for that evening, and check our shore excursion set-up to encompass the two new stops on the itinerary. Kona on the Big Island and Lahaina on Maui were added ports due to the inability of the Star to sail to Fanning Island.

The Star is a BIG ship. It doesn’t seem to matter where you are or where you are going, you always seem to be on the wrong end of the ship. The 3 banks of elevators are conveniently placed, but there is still plenty of walking to do in between them. Looking at the deck plan/maps near each elevator really helps save steps and time. Also you can get a neat little deck plan guide at the reservation desk in the Atrium. I suggest that you do so; it can be a great help in planning how to get where you need to be.

Our first night on board was a big one. Originally, we were to meet the mnstars for cocktails in Gatsby’s Bar before dinner, and then we were to do our Anniversary Dinner (No. 25) at Le Bistro. The ship’s mandatory lifeboat drill did sort of intervene, so we had to meet the mnstars at Gatsby’s after dinner.

Our dinner at Le Bistro was superior. The service was top rate—of course, it should have been as we were nearly the only people in the place until we were almost finished! I splurged and had the special “surf & turfâ€, 3W had a chicken dish. As with most of the dinner meals on the Star, some of the highlights of each meal were the special and sometimes unusual salads and appetizers served. The Norwegian Timpale I had at Le Bistro was a case in point. A really exquisite dish—wonderful. The lobster and filet weren’t bad either. 3W said her chicken was good, but not outstanding. We each had dessert wonders—neither of which was the famed Chocolate Fondue!

We hooked up with the mnstars at Gatsby’s after dinner—they had gone to the Tappenyaki in the Ginza Restaurant. The proved to be wonderful cruise companions; another halo for the CC boards for putting us in touch with this terrific couple. As we promised on the CC board thread; we toasted in sadness those folks on the May 2 cruise that had been cancelled, and then drank to our good fortune at finally being aboard and ready to go

We did make it on deck for the actual sail away. We weren’t at the party on the pool deck, but it was great to see the hula dancers and the musicians on the dock as we backed away for the pier. Did kind of bring a tear to the eye. We went with the mnstars to the Stardust Theatre to see the initial show where they introduced some of the performers we would be seeing during the week. Nice touch.

This was the end of a very, very active day. We may have been on Hawaii time, but our bodies were still on Chicago time. We turned in before 11 p.m. I haven’t been to bed that early in probably 20 years. What’s more, I slept like a baby. The gentle rocking of the ship put me right to sleep! I understand that gently rocking motion was badly received by some, but it didn’t seem to bother 3W and me. At least not as far as sleep in concerned.

Day 3: We woke at around 7:30 and we were off to breakfast at Versailles by about 8:30. Our first time in the main restaurant—beautiful venue. We were seated quickly and had our order in by 9 and we were eating at 9:15. Service was just fine. Food was plentiful, well prepared, and tasted just fine. We ate almost all our breakfasts in the Versailles, having room service breakfast only once. I think that was a very wise choice. The buffet would have been OK, I’m sure, but to start the day with a lovely sit down, service provided meal, was one of the reasons we go on vacation. It was a pleasure—I even got to have my eggs benedict. I was surprised they were not on the breakfast menu every day, but they only had one specially prepared egg dish each day. No problem.

This was our “sea†day because the ship was NOT going to Fanning Island. I’m sure folks who read these boards are familiar by now with why the Star did not go to Fanning Island, so I won’t elaborate. Surely some felt this was a big loss, others (us included) felt this only gave us more time in the Hawaiian Islands, which we appreciated. Anyhow, we now had two additional Hawaiian ports to see, but “lost†one of our sea days. I decided to really vacation—after breakfast I dozed on our wonderful balcony. 3W went to the lei making class held by Ambassador Rose. She made a wonderful orchid leu, which she was able to wear that night. We kept it in the Fridge and it stayed with us for a couple of day. Very beautiful. In the pm, I went to the bridge class. Nice class, learned about a bidding style I needed to work on. Very useful and much fun! Played bridge with folks from the class on several afternoons later in the cruise. That was something I had hoped to be able to do! Gave 3W some opportunities to shop unhindered by my sluggish walking and decision making habits. I know she appreciated those times, too.

In the pm, 3W took Ambassador Rose’s kukui (sp?) nut lei making class. She made the kukui nut lei for me!! It is a symbol of love and respect. I wore it with pride that night! 3W stayed for the hula class, but didn’t participate, she said.

The Cruise Critic get together at 6 p.m. in the BierGarten was both exciting and disappointing. It was exciting because, with the mnstars, we were honored to have the Hotel Director Douglas Hernandez, Cruise Director Kieron Buffery, Food and Beverage Director Rob Brand, Assistant Cruise Director Clint Wells and a young lady I believe was Cruise Staff Administrator Laura Haltric. A super turnout of the Ship’s senior management. Only Captain Sovdsnes didn’t make it—he was probably busy. These officers comprise the top rank of staff having to do with passenger relations. It was apparent from this turnout that NCL takes Cruise Critic very seriously, and make a real effort to cater to and please Cruise Critic members. A loud and public MAHALO to each of you for your time and consideration.

The disappointing part was that there were only the four of us Cruise Critic folks at the meeting. According to our sailing thread there were at least two other couples on the ship. It may be that they did not make the sailing, or that other plans prevented their attending the meeting, but it is too bad that more could not have made the meeting. It was a terrific time. The NCL folks were very forthcoming in their comments and information about the Star. Doug and Kieron are both going to be with the ship in Alaska as far as they know now. I think Rob also said he would be going to Alaska. If so, the Star has a great nucleus of passenger relations staff to begin that Alaska run.

Dinner at Endless Summer with mnstars after the CC meeting. 3W had a better meal than I, but that was only by degree. She raved about the Mahi Mahi chowder, and my black bean soup was terrific too. My chicken dish was certainly well prepared, just not my particular thing I found out. 3W had BBQ rib, which she said was excellent. Both of us had a chocolate macadamia nut cake that was out of this world!!

Went to the Stardust again w/the mnstars. The show was my particular favorite of all we saw, the “Music of Andrew Lloyd Webber†review. All the good Webber songs, Memories, Don’t Cry for Me Argentina, etc. Nice show, the group has real talent. Bet lots of out-of-work Broadway types, and/or prospective Broadway types, do these cruise ship shows.

Yes, the seats in the Stardust DO slope downward. Off to bed—Kona on the Big Island tomorrow.

Day 4: Versailles breakfast good as indicated previously. By 8:15 we were in line to get the tender to Kona. Riding in the tender is an interesting experience—getting on and off the tender is an even more interesting experience, especially if there are any waves about the ship. I am not the handiest at that game—the artificial hips make me a little skittish in such circumstances—but the ship’s crew got me on and off just fine.

Kona was one of the “added†ports scheduled on the revised itinerary, and so we had not previously chosen any shore excursion. We decided to get a rental car in Kona and strike out on our own. Got the car without any problem, and started out for the “Place of Refuge†which is an ancient Hawaiian tribal “special†place. After driving quite awhile, we determined we would not have enough time to go there and go to our destination of choice—Waimea city--too. Turned around and headed to Waimea. The road there was beautiful; rolling hills, plush greenery. The town was nice, but not a much as we expected. We did go to the Parker Ranch, but I chickened out on 3W and didn’t want to spend the money for the Ranch tour, etc. I am sure she was disappointed at my lack of adventure here (and probably a number of other places, too; I am kind of an old stick in the mud).

We took the rental car back after driving back to Kona, and we were back on board by 2:30 p.m. We both took a nap, as neither of us had slept particularly well the night before. Don’t know why.

Dinner for two in Versailles. Our first time for dinner in this restaurant. It was outstanding!! Both had a beef tenderloin that was wonderful—I had another great salad; a cucumber salad with a super Bleu Cheese dressing. Excellent! Service was very good; fast, accurate and attentive.

This night we went to the Spinnaker Lounge for the Matangi Polynesian Dancer Cast show. Seats in the Spinnaker are great—it was a fun place to watch shows. Bar service personnel were ever present, but were not intrusive I didn’t think. The Matangi show is a good one. Those six folks are in truly great shape. How they can move the middle of their bodies so fast for so long is beyond me. This was a good preview for the loads of Polynesian dancing we were to see in the future. Fun time!

That’s it for now. We’ll try to make the second half shorter and better. A heartfelt thanks to all of you CC board contributors that helped make our wonderful cruise the “vacation of a lifetimeâ€.

sassycassie

[This message was edited by sassycassie on 05-14-04 at 01:30 PM.]

Thank you for the fantastic first part of your review. I did edit your message because it looked like it had been cut and paste several times. I didn't remove any informatioin. Great review so far!

Cecilia

*****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

Thank you so much for this great review. It is just what I have been missing lately in my "anticipation phase" for the Star June 20 cruise. You sound like your spirit for cruising is similar to mine and your positive comments about service, meals, staff,etc are very happily received!!! icon_biggrin.gif

My favorite part of your review:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In the pm, 3W took Ambassador Rose’s kukui (sp?) nut lei making class. She made the kukui nut lei for me!! It is a symbol of love and respect. I wore it with pride that night! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_biggrin.gif

What a really fantastic review so far...chatty yet informative, I like it.

I'm sorry you missed Place of Refuge. Judging from some of your comments it seemes you are intersted in Hawaiiana and the history of the Islands...Place of Refuge is a great spot to connect with that, plus the sea turtles come right up to the shore there!!

Oh, well, something to look forward to the next time you cruise or visit Hawaii.

Now, please, give us more....

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

1999 Norwegian Crown (NCL)

1999 Voyager of the Seas (RCL)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Carnival Victory (CCL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2001 Norwegian Majesty (NCL)

2001 Vision of the Seas (RCL)

2002 Norwegian Wind (NCL)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

great review - thank you!

Question: was there a fee for the lei making & hula classes? Were children able to participate in these classes? (hoping this is offered on the Pride of Aloha to do with my 11 year old daughter)

Thanks sassycassy,

As one of those who missed out on the May2 cruise I do appreciate that you actually remembered us on your 'vacation of a life time'. My daughter and I did go to Hawaii anyway and had a good time but I missed much of the cruise fun and atmosphere and I think it was sweet of you to think of us on your cruise. Glad it seems to have turned out so well for you.

momofone,

When we were on the Wind in hawaii all those were free activities.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MOMofONE:

Question: was there a fee for the lei making & hula classes? Were children able to participate in these classes? (hoping this is offered on the Pride of Aloha to do with my 11 year old daughter)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>They were free on my Sky Hawaii trip in 2001 and my Star trip in 2001. But a word of advice...get there early, especially for the flower lei class. It fills up and there aren't always enough flowers for everyone.

Cecilia

*****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

Hi sassycassie ~

We just read your review. It brought back many fond memories, including many with you two!

We hope the rest of you meet such great CC folks on your trips, and that you can remain friends too.

More soon, sassycassie!

Much Love...

The mnstars

Thanks Hobbsey & Cecilia.

I had to laugh because, my DH and I were discussing our land & cruise plans yesterday and every other sentence I was saying "We have to get up/get there early...."!

Finally he asked "are we scheduling any horizontal time AT ALL this vacation!?" LOL

I struggle to sleep until 7 AM and, on a day off of work, he can sleep until 2 PM! (he does work extremely long commuting hours)

But he's a good sport on vacation when we have family activities planned.

Although, I know he is secretly hoping there are MANY early classes, for my daughter and I, on our AT SEA days so he can doze thru the day!

sassycassie - great review, I'm so looking forward to your next installation.

MomofOne - Funny you should mention that. Bruce and I are always early to bed and early to rise. This time we'll be flying across country and trying to get on WA/AK time from FL time. We've got two weeks of family visits in WA before we cruise so should be able to adjust. But we always try to be up early and then take a nap sometime in the afternoon.

Regarding the lei-making classes. What kind of classes do you think Star will provide for those of us traveling to Alaska? Maybe I need to check on Sky's classes.

Cathy

bandc.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=2211ff&cdt=2004;06;27;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until our **STAR** search

Seattle to Alaska on NCL Star

June 27, 2004

Fantasy 12/25/03

Inspiration 4/13/03

NCL Majesty 12/27/02

Jubilee 3/23/02

Norwegian Sea 11/23/01

Reply to MoMoFone re hula lei-making classes: While I didn't see any children at the lei-making classes, there were several young girls at the hula class that I watched. I would assume that any child over the age of 8 would be able to do the leis. It is easy, but you do work with a needle for the orchid lei.

All the classes were free -- in fact, Ambassador Rose told us that kukui nut leis can run as high as $20! We got it for free. And they were easy to do!

Enjoy!

thanks so much for your reply!

Actually a few Mom & daughter "teams" (girls aged 9 to 18?) on our roll call was hoping to do this, so I will pass the encouraging reply along!

Much Mahalo - Tina

Mom: There is no official age restrictions...just depends on whether the child is old enough to be able to handle it. The weave lei class stumped most of us adults - but who knows, the kids will probably get it right away...lol!

Aloha!

Emi

NCL Star-08/31/03 in Hawaii!

NCL Star-11/13/04 to Mexico!

Alaska summer 2005!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SweetEmi:

The weave lei class stumped most of us adults - but who knows, the kids will probably get it right away...lol! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I love the look of the weave lei. So much so that at Christmas I make the weave for wrapping around gifts, around the tree and I even used some of it in my Christmas wreath. You can make the weave with any type of ribbon.

LOL Emi! That right - complex weaving probably is in the same category as setting your clock on the VCR - these things should come with warning labels like prescription bottles, only reading "keep out of the reach of adults"! icon_razz.gif

Waiting with bated breath for your next installment. Hubby and I are thinking of going to Hawaii soon either on a land vacation or if we find the right cruise. You make this sound so great.

2/2004 Carnival Legend/Exotic Western Carribean

4/2003 HAL Statendam/Sea of Cortez

9/2002 CarnivalHoliday/Western Caribbean

4/2001 Carnival/Western Caribbean

4/2000 Carnival Paradise/Southern Caribbean

5/1999 RCCL/Alaska

4/1998 NCL/Pacific Coastal

10/1997 Carnival/Mexican Riviera

11/1995 Carnival Holiday/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1992 RCCL Viking Serenade/4 day Baja Mexico

6/1981 Pacific Princess/Pacific Coastal

dls,

This cruise is a great way to get an introduction to all of Hawaii (well much of it). We found our Wind 10 day cruise to be a great sampler that led us back for a week long vacation on the Big Island. Next will be a longer stay on Kauai.

Many people only experience Oahu, in this way you get to see and experience much more. I do, however, recommend a pre or post cruise stay on Oahu.

1968 Lurline (Matson)

1969 Mariposa (Matson)

1998 Seabreeze (Premier)

1998 Century (Celebrity)

1999 Seabreeze (Premier)

2000 Westerdam (HAL)

2000 Sensation (CCL)

2001 Mercury (Celebrity)

2004 Maasdam (HAL)

Thanks for your review..we sailed on the Star in June 2000 and it brought back so many wonderful memories. Ahh...Hawaii..I want to go back!!!

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

Archived