Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Good Morning everyone.

Perhaps its time to take stock and decide what needs to still be completed before the parbuckle.

(1) The caissons have to be filled with water to help the counter balance during the parbuckle

(2) The cables and chains need to be attached to the strand jacks.

(3) The working area and accommodation platform needs to relocate a distance from the wreck.

(4) The grout bags needs to be completed (strangely Narvik has docked in a different place to where it normally is, could this be so Pioneer can be moved)

Can anyone think of anything else that needs to be done please.

Good Morning everyone.

Perhaps its time to take stock and decide what needs to still be completed before the parbuckle.

(1) The caissons have to be filled with water to help the counter balance during the parbuckle

(2) The cables and chains need to be attached to the strand jacks.

(3) The working area and accommodation platform needs to relocate a distance from the wreck.

(4) The grout bags needs to be completed (strangely Narvik has docked in a different place to where it normally is, could this be so Pioneer can be moved)

Can anyone think of anything else that needs to be done please.

Morning Clive,

There are various items that will need removing from CC's port side before the Parbuckle. I've noticed over the past months looking @ the weekly report photos that there are various storage containers that are standing on temporary horizontal girder brackets towards the rear of CC. I also recall seeing a round tank presumably for storing some sort of fuel, maybe for the generators? There are also a number of steel walkways/stairs etc which will be redundant once the ship is upright & maybe best removed before the Parbuckle.

Just a thought, referring to point 1), will they pump/fill the caissons with water @ the beginning of the Parbuckle whilst CC is @ her present angle, or will they just use the strand jacks to pull CC over, leaving the caissons to fill up naturally with seawater through plugs/taps as they slowly submerge down towards the underwater platforms. My thought is that each caisson already weighs 500(ish) tons, & when filled with water they will weigh (tens of) thousands of tons. Would this not simply crush CC's Portside?

Thanks BE. I finally had time to look at your link. Most interesting.

And I found this:

Photo #: NH 63920

Salvage of USS Oklahoma (BB-37), 1942-44

Ductwork installed to ventilate the capsized battleship's starboard side blister during salvage work.

Photographed 11 December 1942, as the ship was being prepared for righting. Note the lugs welded to the blister side, to which the righting cables will be attached.

Official U.S. Navy Photograph, NHHC Collection.

Online Image: 141KB; 740 x 615 h63920t.jpg

It talks about the "blister." In that pix, what is the blister?

I believe most of what you see in that pic is the blister. The blister on battleships was an anti-torpedo measure. This wikipedia site gives a good exlanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-torpedo_bulge

Morning Clive,

There are various items that will need removing from CC's port side before the Parbuckle. I've noticed over the past months looking @ the weekly report photos that there are various storage containers that are standing on temporary horizontal girder brackets towards the rear of CC. I also recall seeing a round tank presumably for storing some sort of fuel, maybe for the generators? There are also a number of steel walkways/stairs etc which will be redundant once the ship is upright & maybe best removed before the Parbuckle.

Just a thought, referring to point 1), will they pump/fill the caissons with water @ the beginning of the Parbuckle whilst CC is @ her present angle, or will they just use the strand jacks to pull CC over, leaving the caissons to fill up naturally with seawater through plugs/taps as they slowly submerge down towards the underwater platforms. My thought is that each caisson already weighs 500(ish) tons, & when filled with water they will weigh (tens of) thousands of tons. Would this not simply crush CC's Portside?

It has always been the intent to fill the caissons with water prior to parbuckling. The idea is to shift the center of gravity towards the port side to make it easier to roll the ship. I'm sure they have taken the weight of the caissons and the water into consideration. There were some tasks on the Gantt chart referring to installing reinforcements on decks 5 and 6. This may be to shore up the ship against the weight of the caissons.

Edited by Bearded Engineer

It has always been the intent to fill the caissons with water prior to parbuckling. The idea is to shift the center of gravity towards the port side to make it easier to roll the ship. I'm sure they have taken the weight of the caissons and the water into consideration. There were some tasks on the Gantt chart referring to installing reinforcements on decks 5 and 6. This may be to shore up the ship against the weight of the caissons.

Thanks for the update B.E., also thanks for your post regarding the strand jack cables/wires possibly already being connected to the outer frames of the underwater platforms, & just hanging slack to give Lone/M30 close access to CC. Hadn't thought of that!!

M30's 360 degree crane seems to be doing a lot of slewing around, reaching right over CC & the tops of the caissons, but with nothing visible on her hook apart from a length of chain! Not sure what she's up to, maybe just getting her position & reach perfected for ongoing work, hopefully grout bag positioning!

There were some tasks on the Gantt chart referring to installing reinforcements on decks 5 and 6. This may be to shore up the ship against the weight of the caissons.

Gantt chart? Where....please?

Hi, I found this board/thread while looking for any more webcams during the lengthy blister installation. I'm a TowboatUS captain and salvage master. What I do is just like what these guys are doing, only a thousand times smaller in scale; unground the grounded, float the sunk, patch the holed, tow to a shipyard for restoration or demolition. We use the same personnel and tools: patches, flotation, winches, pumps, hydraulics, cranes.... I am in awe of this salvage operation and cannot imagine how Nick Sloane can sleep during this job with all the things going on, knowing that 'I' sometimes lie awake during multi-day salvages thinking about ' things we did today' and 'how to best proceed tomorrow.'

I'm hoping that 'you all' might tack on any other good cams or information links / sources to my little list, hoping there is a live streaming feed for parbuckle day.

http://www.isoladelgiglio.net/webcam.html

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440922/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto.html

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

Hello Long and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Another link we go to for information is

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

They don't update as often as we'd like but they do provide information we use.

A weekly report is also issued on progress. Someone usually posts a link when it is available. The report itself is issued in Italian so we mostly look at the pictures they provide.

All our sources and some folks with knowledge that post here help us form ideas (or more questions ;)) as to how this project is proceeding.

Hi and welcome Longboardz

Have you tried this link

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440924/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-traghetto-isola-del-giglio-porto-santo-stefano.html

The Gnatt chart, as Some Beach has said is in the weekly progress report which can be found via giglio news site. The report is mainly in Italian and some of our contributers who are much more computer orientated than me can help you translate . However the Gnatt chart can be found , in English right at the bottom of the report.

Hope that helps and yes we are all hoping for a live feed when the parbuckle takes place.

Clive

Reading the article SB was kind to post the link to, it brings home the fact that this is not a guaranteed plan, not that any salvage plan ever is.

It also make one think about what the back up plans are in the case that the parbuckling doesn't work, the wreck partially or fully breaks up or the wreck slides off the platform into deeper water? All very possible events.

That will be a nightmare for the insurance groups, Carnival Inc. and the environmental issues.

Also mentioned was the risk of the mega and monster sized cruise ships and whether future cruise ships will be restricted in size.

All things to think about.

AKK

Welcome aboard. The weekly report is posted in the Giglio News web site www.giglionews.it each week. The day it is published can change each week anywhere from Saturday to Tuesday but usually it is published Sunday or Monday. Just go to their main page and look for the news article titled "Rimozione: relazione setimanale" followed by a date. It is easy to spot because it has a diagram showing the ship, sponsons and all this stuff. Once you follow the link look for a link called "Visualizza Relazione" and it will take you to the actual report in pdf format. I don't read Italian but being a native Spanish speaker makes it possible for me to grab most of the details from the Italian text. Google translate helps a bit more. Lots of good information in the weekly reports.

I am mostly a lurker in here but drop to say something every now and then. Been following this whole project almost since the beginning just for the technology and engineering part since I am not even closely related to anything marine except not living far from the ocean. :)

Every week on the GiglioNews website they post the weekly report from Titan/Micoperi. Near the end of each report there is a gantt chart titled 7 Day Outlook. Check here: http://www.giglionews.it/2013081959946/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-10-16-agosto.html

I hope your Italian is good ;)

Oops. I must type too slow. Everyone jumped in ahead of me.

Edited by Bearded Engineer

Every week on the GiglioNews website they post the weekly report from Titan/Micoperi. Near the end of each report there is a gantt chart titled 7 Day Outlook. Check here: http://www.giglionews.it/2013081959946/news/isola-del-giglio/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-10-16-agosto.html

I just copy and paste in google translate. I do keep up, just don't post a lot

Reading the article SB was kind to post the link to' date=' it brings home the fact that this is not a guaranteed plan, not that any salvage plan ever is.

It also make one think about what the back up plans are in the case that the parbuckling doesn't work, the wreck partially or fully breaks up or the wreck slides off the platform into deeper water? All very possible events.

That will be a nightmare for the insurance groups, Carnival Inc. and the environmental issues.

Also mentioned was the risk of the mega and monster sized cruise ships and whether future cruise ships will be restricted in size.

All things to think about.

AKK[/quote']

What I liked was how it showed that various companies are underwriting this and none of them are wild about the "at whatever cost" part.

Thankyou to those who have recently mentioned 'the Gantt Chart'. My computer won't Google translate the weekly report (says it is too large) & so I've always been a little impatient & just scrolled down to the photo section of the weekly report!

Anyway, I've finally made the effort to scroll through the whole report & found the Gantt chart on the final page (no.40). The '7 day lookout' mentions on line ID 1340 "strand jack connection to platforms 1, 2 & 3", "start Thursday Aug 22nd for 13 days". Just had a quick look @ the webcam, is this what Micoperi 30 has just started carrying out?

I guess we won't see any major operations now with our distant webcams until the actual Parbuckle, but hopefully it won't be too long now!

Edited by CTH

My computer won't Google translate the weekly report (says it is too large) & so I've always been a little impatient & just scrolled down to the photo section of the weekly report!

The weekly reports follow a structure, I only google-translate relevant sections, sometimes only single sentences, such as the picture captions. Underwater noise monitoring is for instance more of scientific interest, but is already 10 pages long. Sometimes we find little marvels in the report, last week a caption read "Assistenza in prossimità del ‘Sister Blister’." = Assistance in proximity of 'Sister Blister' :)

What I liked was how it showed that various companies are underwriting this and none of them are wild about the "at whatever cost" part.

Its kind of like opening the bank vault and saying *take all you want*.

The Concordia here, may indeed change the way P and I and other underwritiers policies are written in the future and the size of vessels the underwriters are willing to write.

Depending how the present policies are written, as noted in the article, some have limits and some are open ended, if the costs go to far, a good deal will end up in Carnivals lap.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Using Google Chrome (internet browser like Internet Explorer, or Mozilla Firefox) will translate websites automatically - so that helps for the GiglioNews website - although it is a very rough translation at times.

When the report is published, download a copy to your computer. Go to translate.google.com and there's a link to "translate a document" - just upload the copy you just saved, and boom there's the full report in "English" - though it does remove the pictures, gantt chart, etc.

Narvik is on her way back to Giglio. Due to arrive in a couple of hours. It will be interesting to see where she docks, my money is for her to pull in alongside M30 to put more grout bags around the platform. Will this signal that all the grout bags are now laid underneath the wreck?

ER Narvik has just arrived on site and is docking against Pioneer.

I notice there is a new ship (at least to me) on site called Aran which is described as a towing vessel, it seems to have its own crane and is alongside M30 and largely out of sight of the cameras.

Green Salina is another ship that comes and goes and is docked against the working platform behind Pioneer which is the large floating dock/accommodation platform in front of CC.

I notice there is a new ship (at least to me) on site called Aran which is described as a towing vessel, it seems to have its own crane and is alongside M30 and largely out of sight of the cameras.

Morning Clive,

The webcams are giving a slightly confusing picture this morning! I had a look on vesselfinder.com to get another 'view'.

Aran is a tugboat/towing vessel that has been involved on this job for some time, her name often shows up on vesselfinder.com & I think she may be holding a barge/platform against Micoperi 30's far side (which we can't see!)

There is another vessel called Vincenzo Cosentino which is also behind M30 & slightly more distant, right at the stern end of CC. This has the light coloured crane on it which we can see over M30. This has also been on the job from the early days & spent most of the time moored up behind the anchor block towers (near CC's glass roof over the swimming pool), which she assembled/lifted into place.

Not sure what tasks are being carried out this morning, but they are obviously all keeping busy, as the countdown to The Parbuckle continues!