Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Ok Folks I'm back.

Can I just say thanks to you all I was able to follow progress whilst I was away' I'm sure that there are many others who follow us.

It does look like I will miss the refloat if they keep to the new timetable although on 18th, 19th & 20th I will actually be in the area of Giglio.

But I don't think they know where they are taking CC do they?

Ok Folks I'm back.

Can I just say thanks to you all I was able to follow progress whilst I was away' I'm sure that there are many others who follow us.

It does look like I will miss the refloat if they keep to the new timetable although on 18th, 19th & 20th I will actually be in the area of Giglio.

But I don't think they know where they are taking CC do they?

Welcome back. Hope you had a nice time. As for your next adventure I'm surprised you didn't take an extra day to allow a visit to Giglio since you will be so close. I imagine it's a case of so close yet so far away.

As of right now the debate is still going on. The debate will probably continue until the day of the move. :p;)

Thanks Micki had a great time.

Unfortunately its a package and we board the ship in Rome on 18th, sail to Savona (passing Giglio on the west coast) arriving on 19th then sail south passed Giglio to Katakolon on 21st, we arrive back in Rome on 31st July.

I suppose there is still time for a couple of weeks delay to allow me to get back. I will be watching out for an opportunity to see CC.

Informal group for geothermal energy and the environment

Direct petition to the Presidency of the Council of Ministers

This petition will be delivered to:

Bureau Chief Council Presidency Secretariat

Presidency of the Council of Ministers

We appeal to the Italian Government that common sense prevail, downplaying the enormous risks of moving, locating the port of Piombino as ideal destination

modesti060514_2Italian news today cannot ignore the huge risks associated with securing and dismantling of large cruise liner "Costa Concordia", wrecked the January 13, 2012 at the Isola del Giglio, and which will be decided in the coming weeks, the port of destination for disposal.

All this at a time in which, around the demolition of ships you can really build, even through new sophisticated technology, a genuine industrial sector also as productive district, which could become a genuine opportunity for a country such as ours that would really important credentials to play, thus avoiding sending ships abroad for disposal.

Because of this and to counteract assumptions related to dangerous temptations of demolition, were many Italian ports, in addition to Piombino solution natural put more safe from a sinking wreck in the middle of the Tuscan archipelago in longer trips, even Palermo Civitavecchia and most recently Genoa, which today seems to be in pole position.

A Renaissance opportunities too big to not be caught in a hard moment for our country, seeking new economic equilibrium, and in a context in which to be fielded the best technologies available for reclamation, control and abatement of pollution, work safety, in a new context where the proper techniques of demolition and disassembly become an integral part of the new context created by the green and the white economy.

In fact, there are countless types of materials on board a ship, not just metal matrix, but also insulating materials, oils, tires and plastic materials, which require a very structured treatment model, which, if implemented, would become exportable, considering the importance of this theme, which sees a large number of Western ships end up in Bangladesh for one absolutely disrespectful environmental disposal and especially the conditions of workers often children.

New technologies, plasma cutting machines of new generation for moving, fume extraction methods, robotic Islands to work in the most at risk for the health and lives of workers, these just some of the sectors, where, today our country, could express, if able to do, its great potential.

An unmissable opportunity for redemption for our country that he effects of a real turnabout intruder, also with regard to the aspects of legality, that does not enjoy certain, in view of latest events, a good reputation.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/08/rimozione-concordia-appello-al-governo/

Informal group for geothermal energy and the environment

Direct petition to the Presidency of the Council of Ministers

This petition will be delivered to:

Bureau Chief Council Presidency Secretariat

Presidency of the Council of Ministers

We appeal to the Italian Government that common sense prevail, downplaying the enormous risks of moving, locating the port of Piombino as ideal destination

modesti060514_2Italian news today cannot ignore the huge risks associated with securing and dismantling of large cruise liner "Costa Concordia", wrecked the January 13, 2012 at the Isola del Giglio, and which will be decided in the coming weeks, the port of destination for disposal.

All this at a time in which, around the demolition of ships you can really build, even through new sophisticated technology, a genuine industrial sector also as productive district, which could become a genuine opportunity for a country such as ours that would really important credentials to play, thus avoiding sending ships abroad for disposal.

Because of this and to counteract assumptions related to dangerous temptations of demolition, were many Italian ports, in addition to Piombino solution natural put more safe from a sinking wreck in the middle of the Tuscan archipelago in longer trips, even Palermo Civitavecchia and most recently Genoa, which today seems to be in pole position.

A Renaissance opportunities too big to not be caught in a hard moment for our country, seeking new economic equilibrium, and in a context in which to be fielded the best technologies available for reclamation, control and abatement of pollution, work safety, in a new context where the proper techniques of demolition and disassembly become an integral part of the new context created by the green and the white economy.

In fact, there are countless types of materials on board a ship, not just metal matrix, but also insulating materials, oils, tires and plastic materials, which require a very structured treatment model, which, if implemented, would become exportable, considering the importance of this theme, which sees a large number of Western ships end up in Bangladesh for one absolutely disrespectful environmental disposal and especially the conditions of workers often children.

New technologies, plasma cutting machines of new generation for moving, fume extraction methods, robotic Islands to work in the most at risk for the health and lives of workers, these just some of the sectors, where, today our country, could express, if able to do, its great potential.

An unmissable opportunity for redemption for our country that he effects of a real turnabout intruder, also with regard to the aspects of legality, that does not enjoy certain, in view of latest events, a good reputation.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/08/rimozione-concordia-appello-al-governo/

If safety is a concern they should move it on the Vanguard. I think one of the reasons they are pushing so hard for Piombino is that there is a steel mill there that was shut down last year. It would be ideal for processing the scrap.

A steel mill will likely not be any better then any pier with lots of land to scrap the Concordia.

1. What type of plant was it?

2. What type of steel did it produce?

3, What will it cost to convert it to handle the type of metals the Concordia hulk will yield?

4. What will it cost to get it running again to process a small amount of steel the Concordia hulk will yield? Yes, small amount when compared to the product of a whole steel plant.

It is a major undertaking to get a steel plant up and running.

5. What will the costs be to shut it down again? This includes cleaning up the land. It is not likely a viable operation could continue after the Concordia. If the economical realities were there before the Concordia, there would already be a sizeable scrap plant in Italy now.

What people keep thinking is a ship scrapping facility is just a lots of cranes and cutting torch's and empty land. That is can effectively be placed in whatever port has the politicians with the most power.......NOT!

It is a highly specialized operation these days.

Folks, this is not going to be settled until the politicians let the professionals do their job.

AKK

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Weekly report. Click on Visualizza.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/09/rimozione-relazione-settimanale-31-maggio-6-giugno/

Another story on the Giglio website, if I understood my poor translation, indicates that there was to be a meeting held this morning presenting various sides as to where CC should go. The result of this meeting are suppose to lead to a decision next week.

Wonder what odds Vegas would give on that actually happening. :rolleyes:

I know this will come as a shock but there will be a slight delay on the decision.

The decision on where it will be dismantled the wreckage of the Costa Concordia slips to 25 June. At the end of the interim Services Conference which took place today in Rome, due to the many additions made by Costa and requests for more documents issued by public administrations, the Deputy Commissioner Franco Gabrielli has pledged to ask the Cdm more 10 days after the deadline to June 16, to allow the necessary focus of the draft submitted by Costa.

Needed further discussion in the meeting convened by Gabrielli which was held today at the headquarters of the Civil Protection Department was examined, as envisaged in the resolution of the Cdm of the 16 may, the draft submitted by Costa Cruises ship transfer from Lily in Genoa developed by consorzio di imprese Saipem-San Giorgio del Porto. In order to sift the integrations produced by coast and further requests for more documents made by public administrations, Gabrielli asks Cdm one shift of 10 days. The Government in fact intervened in various ways (municipality of Isola del Giglio, Grosseto Province and Regione Toscana, Arpat, Azienda sanitaria di Grosseto, Municipality and province of Genoa, region of Liguria, Arpal, Autorità Portuale di Genova, the ministries of the Interior, environment and protection of the land and the sea, transport and infrastructure, health and dei Beni e delle Attività Culturali, Ispra, Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Agenzia delle Dogane) have all noted the need for more time to analyze in detail the full project, with due attention to all scenarios envisaged in it risk and its mitigation measures. If the request is received by the Cdm, the upcoming June 16 will be held a new Conference, investigation services, to take stock of the situation and discuss technical items still open, in order to arrive on the date of decision-making Conference with complete permission, permit, visas and prescriptions to make.

The Gang working tirelessly to assemble the cells -Al Giglio Meanwhile work on removing the Concordia continue unabated, with technicians working 24 360 hours per day. There are currently 11 caissons installed on the starboard side of the wreck and, therefore, they are to apply 4 on this side, and on the left, to reach the total of 30 required for rigalleggiamento. In addition, continuous environmental monitoring of water which, as also confirmed today by the representative of conference services Arpat, are not anomalies.

Il presidente della Regione Rossi "inadmissible and deficient Project»- "If a private entity had presented the same project to the evaluation core technicians Via della Regione Toscana, I am sure that after ten minutes they would bounce back to the sender. So the President of Regioen Enrico Rossi in Tuscany at the end of the Conference. «The project – continued – is deficient to the point that it was agreed to give more time to respond to objections and allow a more thorough evaluation engineers. The ship must be moved before the winter, but bring it in Genoa, passing between the islands of the archipelago and through the cetacean sanctuary, means risking five times more than bring it to plummet. Navigation – Red – yet says can happen only in calm sea conditions and with no strong winds. And marine weather forecasts-5 days apart collapse of 50% reliability. I find it amazing – watch the President – the idea that a violent storm proposes to shelter behind the Islands. The rest of the opinion that in these cases it is necessary to use a precautionary approach that mark all European legislation on environmental matters, to which one must always choose the lesser risk. And the lower risk is to bring the ship to Plummet. "

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/09/slitta-al-26-giugno-ogni-decisione-sulla-rimozione-concordia/

Garibaldo is back in Porto S. Stefano with S4. If you go to the PSS webcam, click on a time around 9:30 on the list of screenshots to the right and you can see it.

http://www.webcam-4insiders.com/en/weather-Porto%20Santo%20Stefano-Webcam/4862-Webcam-Porto%20Santo%20Stefano-weather.php

Edited by Bearded Engineer

Maybe I missed it, but does anyone know why the S15 sponson in the SPONSON INSTALLATION PROGRESS section on the parbucklingproject website is yellow instead of green? The twitter feed says it was installed.

Just curious...

I believe that one was being installed when the pix was posted but not yet completed. In the next weekly report, generally published over the weekend, it should be green.