Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

I notice that Conquest has repositioned 90 degrees from its normal position, what would be the purpose of that please.

Probably to install S3 without interfering with port traffic.

Probably to install S3 without interfering with port traffic.

S3 is floating out a bit off the port side in the cam view. I wonder if they are going to hook the crane onto it today. It's getting late there and I don't think they have ever made a lift after dark.

Clive .... Sounds like a lot of moving around for the ship to be cut up in Genoa.

And they also have to remove the sponsons and use air bags to float the ship into the dry dock for the final stage because it would be too wide with the sponsons attached. That is like a complete salvage project all by itself. I'm sure if the whole world was not watching Costa would much rather have had the ship winched up on the beach at Alang and turned 1000 guys in sandals and shorts loose on it with cutting torches.

That makes sense! I didn't realize they only update the site once a week.

The weekly report I mentioned is the one Giglio website publishes.

The parbuckle site varies on how often we get updates. As you'll see in this link S15 shows in green now and S4 shows in yellow tho as I type this I believe a tweet has said it's completed. (They do seem to be noting info a little quicker now.)

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com/

Edited by SomeBeach

On a close up camera view earlier i noticed that they have cut away the wind deflector/balcony front that is above the Bridge on the Starboard side of the ship.

Anyone have any idea why this might have been done? is it possible they are removing the Bridge prior to re float ? though no idea why they would do that.

From the Parbucking website, the new date for the DECISION (we hope)

is June 26.

The Italian Council of Ministers, upon proposal from the Commissioner for the Concordia Emergency, has identified June 26th (instead of June 16th as previously decided) as the date for the conclusion of the decision-making meeting of the "Conferenza dei Servizi", the committee composed of representatives of all competent authorities that will evaluate projects for the transportation of the Concordia wreck to an appropriate port for dismantling.

In the meantine at Giglio Island over 370 technicians are working 24/7 to complete the sponsons installation phase. Currently 12 sponsons have been positioned on the starboard side of the Concordia; 3 more are left to install on this side and 4 on the port side to reach the total of 30 needed for the refloating phase.

In parallel to engineering operations, environmental monitoring is also in progress.

On a close up camera view earlier i noticed that they have cut away the wind deflector/balcony front that is above the Bridge on the Starboard side of the ship.

Anyone have any idea why this might have been done? is it possible they are removing the Bridge prior to re float ? though no idea why they would do that.

Sidari, is it possible they were cut away to make for easier placement of the sponsons that will go in that area? Only thing I can come up with.

From the parbuckle website, posted 2 hrs ago:

Parbuckling Project @InfoParbuckling

Global project completion 90.5% #parbuckling

Still think the project will be completed with no place to take the ship. ;)

Great pic, thanks for sharing.

What are the bumpers being welded to? Surely more than just the floors of the cabins?

Looks like beams run inside to tie-in with some substantial internal frame structure.

Sidari, is it possible they were cut away to make for easier placement of the sponsons that will go in that area? Only thing I can come up with.

From the parbuckle website, posted 2 hrs ago:

Parbuckling Project @InfoParbuckling

Global project completion 90.5% #parbuckling

Still think the project will be completed with no place to take the ship. ;)

I can't see the thing you are talking about? All I have noticed is the bridge wings have been cut away.

Looks like beams run inside to tie-in with some substantial internal frame structure.

I'd love to see piccies of that but doubt there is any for public viewing

From Giglio News: BETWEEN 13 JULY AND TRANSFER OF CONCORDIA August 9

The Concordia could leave the island of Giglio in the direction of Genoa between 13 July and 8 August, based on statistics compiled by ISPRA in fact this is the period in which there is less likely to have significant waves higher than two meters, the maximum value specified by the project to transfer the Coast. The 'window' for the last voyage of the ship wrecked two and half years ago at Giglio has been suggested today during the Services Conference which was held in Rome, and after the resolution of the CDM on 13 June, will take a final decision on the port of disposal by 26 June.

I notice that Green Salina has made a rare appearance on the webcam. Although she has rarely left the area she normally keeps out of shot.

Do I remember correctly that Green Salina acts as the "environment" ship.

She is tied up to Conquest so I wonder if there is a problem.

I can't see the thing you are talking about? All I have noticed is the bridge wings have been cut away.

Look for any images where the front of the ship is seen, the deck right above the bridge. The starboard third of the railing on that deck is missing. In the front of the ship the railing is actually a sort of wind shield.

14eb6he.png

The top arrows are pointing to the wind shield/railing on deck 10 for reference and the lower ones on deck 9 showing that it is missing on that deck. The bridge is deck 8 right underneath. On this picture captured from the Circolo Nautico webcam it can be seen that the entire wind shield in this deck is now gone, not just the starboard portion.

Edited by luisrp

Great pic, thanks for sharing.

What are the bumpers being welded to? Surely more than just the floors of the cabins?

Actually no. I found the weekly report from back in March that included a picture - the bumpers are just welded to the floors of the cabins, & the cabins were removed.

http://www.giglionews.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/rel_sett_osservatorio020314.pdf

An update on the parbuckling project a couple weeks back had a rendering of the bow of the ship with the 1st and 2nd sponsons attached and there was a cable system with several anchor points above the bridge. My guess is it's just for balancing the tops of the sponsons since they're to be pinned to the Blister tank and won't have anchor points at the tops of them.

http://www.theparbucklingproject.com./article/74/_Installation_of_sponson_S7_has_been_completed,_the_sixth_of_15

The workers are getting good at this Sponson process. They had S2 off the barge at 8AM, in the water, linked to the blister, ballasted, and off the crane by 3pm. NEXT!

edit - I thought Mario B had these 2 but it looks like it was Red Wolf

Edited by lightman1984

I think you were right Lighthouse. Mario B brought the two sponsons down and when S2 had been lifted Red Wolf and Voe Earl took S1 for a paddle down the coast, then Voe Earl broke away and went back to CC.

Doesn't the P!,P2,P14,P15,S1,S2,S14 & S15 have a different method of fixing than the others?

I believe P/S1 & P/S2 are pinned onto the blister tank - appears they have no strand jacks on them either. 14 and 15 would have to be different; it appears S14 and S15 have inboard strand jacks to chains under CC that were welded to the hull last year while she was on her side. I'm not sure how P14 and P15 come into play.

S14 is also higher than S15 so that one seems like it will need adjusted eventually. perhaps they couldn't sink it the whole way due to the sea bed.

Edited by lightman1984

This morning Voe Earl has returned to the wreck site and Mario B is doing laps off the coast of Elba.

What is the point of keeping these things doing loops for days on end? Mario B spent probably 3 days doing that with S1 and S2 prior to delivering S2 and now it is back to doing this. Why not moor at some place nearby while the site is ready for the next sponson?