Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Hi Lou

So that should keep them busy today and tomorrow.

I am keeping my eye on Mario B which is still docked in Livorno. I am guessing she will bring P1 & P2. Perhaps it will be a sign of some urgency if she leaves tomorrow for a Monday morning arrival.

Or perhaps I have got it wrong again.

I wonder if we can expect the wonderful pictures of the re float that we had from the great people at Reuters at the Parbuckle.

From the response on this thread alone many of us were amazed at the number of people around the world that were watching the Reuters pictures.

To see Costa Concordia emerge from the sea, I am sure would attract many viewers especially if we had prior notice of their intentions.

I am keeping my eye on Mario B which is still docked in Livorno. I am guessing she will bring P1 & P2. Perhaps it will be a sign of some urgency if she leaves tomorrow for a Monday morning arrival.

Or perhaps I have got it wrong again.

Afternoon Clive,

Just had a quick look at Vesselfinder.com, Mario B appears to be on the move, slowly navigating her way along the channel heading out of Livorno docks. Anyone know of any webcams in the area?

Hi CTH

Yes she's certainly moving, in the right direction, staying close to shore and coming from Livorno where the majority of sponsons have been stored.

I have been watching P15 being installed and discovered something I hadn't noticed before. The sponsons P1,P2,P14, P15, S1, S2, S14 &S15 are all at different heights and when I looked on TPP at the diagrams they are shown as being slightly different. Looking at the parbuckling camera S1 & S2 are quite away out of the water and P14 &P15 are, at best, at sea level. Perhaps someone can tell us why that should be.

Just looking at TPP they say that P15 is now fitted, which could explain why Mario B has left Livorno earlier than we expected.

The blog says that it was completed 3 hours ago which is remarkable. Within less than 9 hours the sponson has been fitted and its been taking 48 hours previously.

Mario B looks to be heading for the North side of the Island of Elba, presumably to take shelter from the wind.

I did a very rough guestimate when Mario B left Livorno & thought she would arrive at Giglio around lunchtime today (local time).

So there is a delay for whatever reason, hope everything is ok & still on schedule!

Mario B is on the move south again but slowly.

Should be on site in the morning.

I have noticed that the big crane on Conquest as been down today. as previously said there seemed to be quite a lot of wind today and a few "white horses" on the sea.

Well Mario B after kidding us that she was on her way to Giglio spent the night sheltering from the wind down the east coast.

She has now cleared the island and is heading towards Giglio.

Clive, think she's still kidding us!

She's showing up on Vesselfinder as stationary, approx 5km off Elba's East coast, been there for a little while now.

Guessing she'll head towards Giglio overnight for a morning arrival.

As advertised on the schedule, the Conquest MB1 has moved into position, and Mario B is headed southbound!

Wonder if the conquest will be released from the project after these last 2 are attached or if she'll remain on site as the starboard sponsons are moved into final position.

<<<I have been watching P15 being installed and discovered something I hadn't noticed before. The sponsons P1,P2,P14, P15, S1, S2, S14 &S15 are all at different heights and when I looked on TPP at the diagrams they are shown as being slightly different. Looking at the parbuckling camera S1 & S2 are quite away out of the water and P14 &P15 are, at best, at sea level. Perhaps someone can tell us why that should be.>>>

I may know. After we raise and/or parbuckle a boat that has a high profile or tuna tower, we sometimes add bags, high, port and starboard fore and aft to prevent recapsizing or pitching while we dewater the hull and/or tow the wreck in.

Those high corner bags (or sponson) 'check' excessive pitching and rolling.

Ideally the raised or righted boat stays stable on the bags that did the lifting, but the extra bags have saved us a few times.

A 30something foot sportfisher sank in a kelp bed. Tons of kelp stuck in the tuna tower creating a huge amount of heeling moment as it slowly rose toward the surface. We put 2 bags on either side of the tuna tower to keep it upright as it surfaced and progressively cut away the kelp. We repositioned the bags down the tower as the boat came up so she stayed level until the hull was completely dewatered and stable.

All that said, I hope the bow and stern sections are strong enough to support the additional force pitching and rolling will put on those bow and stern boxes. That's a lotta lift.

Giglio news has said that the wind around Elba was 7, not sure with the translation if this is 7 knots or force 7.

Further it says in the next few days two ocean going tugs are expected on site. Resolve Earl appears to be around Gibraltar and Blizzard around Genoa if I read the translation correctly.

After several false dawns, Mario B has finally arrived on site and with her the final couple of sponsons.

Rainbow Warrior stayed around a couple of hours before moving away, although last time I looked she wasn't headed full steam for Rome where she is due at 10am tomorrow.

So we can expect the last two sponsons to be fitted over the next few days.

Clive, just looked at the site and once sun gets up and out of the way you should have a good view from panorama cam. Parbuckling cam is great.

I'm hoping the weather settles down so I can get some sleep. The last hour here in the Midwest has not been fun.

Edited by SomeBeach

The Official Release- The Council of Ministers approved the decree that stipulates the approval of the draft wreck removal of the motor vessel Costa Concordia from the Isola del Giglio, and his transfer at the port of Genoa. The decision made it necessary to the decision of the Council of Ministers since the Conference of services specially convened the agreement was voted by a large majority, but not unanimously. The Council approved the draft for the transfer and disposal of the wreck of the ship Costa Concordia, proposed by Costa Crociere SpA with the requirements adopted by the same conference services, in order to remove the wreckage from the Isola del Giglio by July and to start dismantling the wreckage as soon as possible. The resolution allows you to reach a crucial step of the complex procedure which saw committed civil protection following the collapse in January of 2012.

The satisfaction of Costa Cruises- "The approval by the Council of Ministers of the project for the transfer of the wreck of the Concordia in Genoa, for the next time you start to disposal and recycling, we can wait to see ever closer the fulfillment of that commitment that the company took two and a half years ago: remove the wreckage of Concord from Isola del Giglio possible and safely". So Michael Thamm, CEO of Costa Crociere comments on the decision of the Council of Ministers. "The finish line is near – Thamm writes in a note. We are two weeks from possible rigalleggiamento. We will tackle the final stage with the commitment and attention from the very beginning we have put into this project was not without challenges, using the best technologies and professionalism, respecting the highest standards of environmental protection and in full cooperation with the authorities ".

Between the rigalleggiamento-15 days With the green light to the trailer of the wreck of the Concordia in Genoa, more than 350 technicians of Titan Micoperi, engaged in removal operations, "can now proceed speedily concluded preparatory operations to rigalleggiamento of the wreck", reads the note of Costa Cruises. Currently remain to be install only 2 of the 30 total bins needed to rigalleggiare the ship. Launch rigalleggiamento operations is expected by mid-July, after authorisation by the monitoring Observatory, and the final departure from the Isola del Giglio can be done so by the end of the same month. "The last flight of the Concorde will take place under the guidance of Titan Micoperi, the Consortium already in charge of removing the wreck in the shipyard of Isola del Giglio-Thamm explained. Once in Genoa, we can count on technical and managerial capacity, strong of the consortium composed of Saipem, who will take care of the environmental aspects of the disposal operations of Concord, and San Giorgio del Porto, the first shipyard in Italy to be registered in the register of companies of special shipbreaking and historically active in the field of naval repairs and transformations. The technical and financial viability of Saipem/SGdP represents an important guarantee for the project ". The details on the latest stages of the project of removing the wreck of Concord – rigalleggiamento, transport and disposal/recycling – will be discussed in detail by Costa Crociere and its partners in the coming days.

http://www.giglionews.it/2014/06/30/via-libera-del-governo-alla-rimozione-della-concordia/

Seem to recall that they normally tow the platform out of the way (with remaining sponson still onboard) whilst dropping the first sponson into the water?

Maybe as a 'finale' they are planning on dropping both sponsons within the same day!

Is it me, but as the sun has cast a different light on the site it looks like there is another crane helping the main Conquest crane. This other crane appears to be on the barge holding the sponson. If this is the case it would answer why the second sponson wasn't pulled away.