Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Tonka ... I recorded the programme so when i have time i will watch it again and make a note of when the Auto Pilot was turned off, i am sure Schettino was was on the bridge at that point.

There was one point in the recording from the Data recorder where Schettino mentions Giglio and i am sure he says "lets do this Bloody thing" which i think was before they left Civitavecchia and is an odd thing to say!

On another point the programme only ever mentions two people on the bridge by name, Schettino and the Hotel Director (the guy found with a broken leg)

As you say 13 seconds in an Emergancy can be a long time and had the command been carried out right away it is quite possible Concordia would have passed La Scole rock unscathed.

Just a thought but could it be that the Mayor of Giglio had requested that large numbers of people do not turn up there due to lack of facilities? ie Hotels, Guest houses.

Sidari, the Mayor has made arrangements for the ferry companies to have extra boat trips available to transfer those staying on the mainland.

While I don't doubt that there is some truth in what you point out, the letter apparently did not come off making the survivors feel better.

Ship owner Costa Crociere SpA, the Italian unit of Miami-based Carnival Corp., sent several passengers a letter telling them they were not invited to the official anniversary ceremonies on the island of Giglio where the hulking ship still rests. Costa says the day is focused on the families of the 32 people who died Jan. 13, 2012, not the 4,200 passengers and crew who survived.

“We are sure that you will understand both the logistical impossibility of accommodating all of you on the island, as well as the desire for privacy expressed by the families at this sorrowful time,” Costa chief executive Michael Thamm wrote in the letter obtained by The Associated Press.

He expressed sympathies to the survivors and said he trusted that their thoughts and prayers “will help lead us to a brighter future.”

While I agree that this day is for those that lost loved ones, to say that this isn't about the survivors is not right. They lost something too. It may not have been their lives but they lost a sense of well being and trust in this form of travel. Many of them are still suffering from the ordeal they went through to survive.

The portion of the letter above just comes off cold. I personally believe Costa does not want them there to discuss what has happened since then with the media.

While I appreciate all comments on this forum and I think everyone is sincere in their efforts to make some sense of this chilling event, I personally feel it is likened to a drunk driver hitting and killing people in an accident. Although he/she may have been driving a car with maintenance issues; bald tires, bad brakes, faulty design or have a passenger(s) that is encouraging them to drive faster, the fact of the matter is: the tragedy is caused by the driver being drunk. Many changes will be made to the industry, as they should be as an outcome of what happened and those changes are worthy of discussion but it absolutely does not change the reason why 32 people are dead and 4000+were unnecessarily traumatized as a result of a risky manuever.

While I appreciate all comments on this forum and I think everyone is sincere in their efforts to make some sense of this chilling event, I personally feel it is likened to a drunk driver hitting and killing people in an accident. Although he/she may have been driving a car with maintenance issues; bald tires, bad brakes, faulty design or have a passenger(s) that is encouraging them to drive faster, the fact of the matter is: the tragedy is caused by the driver being drunk. Many changes will be made to the industry, as they should be as an outcome of what happened and those changes are worthy of discussion but it absolutely does not change the reason why 32 people are dead and 4000+were unnecessarily traumatized as a result of a risky manuever.

watertheodds

your parable is similar to the one I've held from the beginning. It's like a driver with his date sitting in his lap and ......

For the first time in the history of the Costa Concordia will be broadcast simultaneously across Europe on television screens Discovery Channel. It 'a novelty that the issuer give such importance to the recurrence of such a tragedy and shows how the incident has marked the European collective memory. On January 13, the mini-series, two episodes of "Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" will air starting from 22.05 in Italy on DMAX (In Italy, entitled "The anus after Costa Concordia) and at 19.00 in the UK. In France, at 21.30, in the Benelux at 21.00 and at 22.00 in the Scandinavian countries. In Austria will air a shortened version of 60 minutes tonight at 21.00. Television Producer Paul Russell (The Other Half of the Crime of La7 and Crime Crossing the Line) and the famous American journalist Andrea Vogt freelance (published in The Daily Telegraph , The Guardian, The Week) wrote and produced a mini-series of two episodes of the history of Concordia the night of the sinking until the current state of recovery. Survivors and families of the victims speak for the first time in detail the events of the night of January 13, 2012 and the trauma they have suffered, and openly tell the anger that sparked the crisis management by Costa Cruises. The production crew has visited nine different countries to collect not only witnesses but also the opinion of experts in the field of marine engineering and safety at sea. The foundation Skagerrak in Norway monitors developments and the application of the laws of the sea and the Captain Professor Sven Dreessen Maritime University Warmunde Germany proposes maneuvers Concordia in the simulator to show that in those weather conditions, once they leave the course security incident was almost inevitable. Both co-producers (both resident in Italy) have invented a new language of television: in addition to carrying breathtaking events as told by the protagonists, have accompanied the story with incredible images of the ship - filmed by close using mini drone Italdron. Incredible images of the recovery of Korean spouses and other underwater sequences was provided by the Fire Department, which also allowed the crew to follow them in a very dangerous exercise of caving in grotta.Ovviamente production has interviewed the protagonists Gigliese the night of the sinking. Finally, with the consent of Micoperi and Titan crew Fact TV filmed under the ship and near the giant platforms, placed around the Concordia to allow recovery of the wreck by the most daring operation called "parbuckling "- of all time.

Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" tells this record-breaking event in two episodes: "Dreamship Nightmare" and "Rescue and Salvage." In Italy will be broadcast at 22.05 and at 23.05 on Sunday 13 January on DMAX (channel 52, digital terrestrial). "Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" is a coproduction Fact TV UK and Auth GmbH.

For the first time in the history of the Costa Concordia will be broadcast simultaneously across Europe on television screens Discovery Channel. It 'a novelty that the issuer give such importance to the recurrence of such a tragedy and shows how the incident has marked the European collective memory. On January 13, the mini-series, two episodes of "Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" will air starting from 22.05 in Italy on DMAX (In Italy, entitled "The anus after Costa Concordia) and at 19.00 in the UK. In France, at 21.30, in the Benelux at 21.00 and at 22.00 in the Scandinavian countries. In Austria will air a shortened version of 60 minutes tonight at 21.00. Television Producer Paul Russell (The Other Half of the Crime of La7 and Crime Crossing the Line) and the famous American journalist Andrea Vogt freelance (published in The Daily Telegraph , The Guardian, The Week) wrote and produced a mini-series of two episodes of the history of Concordia the night of the sinking until the current state of recovery. Survivors and families of the victims speak for the first time in detail the events of the night of January 13, 2012 and the trauma they have suffered, and openly tell the anger that sparked the crisis management by Costa Cruises. The production crew has visited nine different countries to collect not only witnesses but also the opinion of experts in the field of marine engineering and safety at sea. The foundation Skagerrak in Norway monitors developments and the application of the laws of the sea and the Captain Professor Sven Dreessen Maritime University Warmunde Germany proposes maneuvers Concordia in the simulator to show that in those weather conditions, once they leave the course security incident was almost inevitable. Both co-producers (both resident in Italy) have invented a new language of television: in addition to carrying breathtaking events as told by the protagonists, have accompanied the story with incredible images of the ship - filmed by close using mini drone Italdron. Incredible images of the recovery of Korean spouses and other underwater sequences was provided by the Fire Department, which also allowed the crew to follow them in a very dangerous exercise of caving in grotta.Ovviamente production has interviewed the protagonists Gigliese the night of the sinking. Finally, with the consent of Micoperi and Titan crew Fact TV filmed under the ship and near the giant platforms, placed around the Concordia to allow recovery of the wreck by the most daring operation called "parbuckling "- of all time.

Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" tells this record-breaking event in two episodes: "Dreamship Nightmare" and "Rescue and Salvage." In Italy will be broadcast at 22.05 and at 23.05 on Sunday 13 January on DMAX (channel 52, digital terrestrial). "Costa Concordia: The Whole Story" is a coproduction Fact TV UK and Auth GmbH.

SB ... Thanks for posting part of the letter,i can understand some of Tamm`s letter regarding accomodation but it is not upto Costa to tell anyone that they cannot go to Giglio on any given day of the week.

Over this weekend there are at least 3 other programmes on Sky TV channels in the UK.

watertheodds .... while i agree with what you say it is wrong to also ignore the other facts in any case! to ignore contributing factors and focus on just one person will not stop this happening again, the tv programme a few nights ago made mention that the Chief Engineer who you would believe has a good knowledge of the layout of his ship told Schettino the water was coming in from the Starboard side of the ship!! anyone who has watched enough programmes about any given disaster where humans are involved also knows as the Experts like to say .. when a given number of factors come together Disaster happens.

Those factors came together on that night and sadly a Disaster happened.

I have just finished reading Benji Smiths account of his survival of the Concordia disaster, Abandoned.

Whilst it reinforces what I have heard from other survivors, icluding our own Michelle, regarding the chaos on board and at the Port that evening it also points to the total lack of support to survivors when they arrived in the hotel at Rome airport. He also gives grateful thanks to Paolo Faniulli who opened the doors of the Hotel Bahamas in Giglio for the help he gave to many.

Where as UK and most country's embassies sent staff to the Hotel, US and China made the survivors, travel into Rome to the Embassy and pay for replacement passports and in the case of US pay for the photograph and told survivors to be sure to have the correct change for the photograph machine. The Chinese Embassy virtually threw their survivors out of the Embassy and made them wait the other side of the road because they had a "black tie do " that evening

Additionally when Benji and his family tried to raise this terrible treatment in the American media it was always ignored or edited out.

A very interesting book.

Good morning Sid.

And more worrying was that any attempt the Smiths made to highlight the shortcomings of Embassy staff were ignored or edited out by the "fearless" American news channels and newspapers.

Doesn't surprise me about our media.

To comment further would be leading into another particular Embassy story that we can't get info on that has nothing to do with cruising.

Mysterious Micki !!

Clive, not sure what you mean. I'm referring to an attack at an Embassy that our media has ignored instead of keeping the story in the headlines and seeking answers.

From interviews I've seen with this couple, their statements about the lack of help should be investigated and answers provided. Why should we support having these places if they aren't going to be of help to citizens. I would be livid to be told that "it's the weekend."

Sorry Micki, I hadnt heard of the attack on the other Embassy so I was intrigued.

It wasnt clear in the book but I got the impression that the Embassy staff involved may have been Italian nationals working for the U.S.Embassy and it seems they have a totally different culture when something happens on a holiday weekend.

Still doesnt excuse the way American subjects were treated after the trauma they had suffered.

The book did say that Australian survivers were looked after by their Ambassador. It would be interesting to hear Michelles experience with the Australian Embassy.

watertheodds .... while i agree with what you say it is wrong to also ignore the other facts in any case! to ignore contributing factors and focus on just one person will not stop this happening again, the tv programme a few nights ago made mention that the Chief Engineer who you would believe has a good knowledge of the layout of his ship told Schettino the water was coming in from the Starboard side of the ship!! anyone who has watched enough programmes about any given disaster where humans are involved also knows as the Experts like to say .. when a given number of factors come together Disaster happens.

Those factors came together on that night and sadly a Disaster happened.

And I agree with you as well, don't dispute contributing factors and find the discovery of problems aboard ships interesting and informative, Sidari. But, if you read what I said I never placed the blame on the Captain. My point was - if the Concordia had stayed in the shipping lanes where it belonged and was determined safe for ships to be, we would not be discussing this terrible tragedy. I don't know who or why a sail by was ordered but that decision is what caused the series of events that ultimately became the result of an unnecessary tragedy. That fateful decision, whomever made it, set the ball rolling to introduce human error, incompetence and possibly ship malfunctons to come together causing injury and loss of life.....agreed! But when posters go on and on about other problems with the ship and personnel no matter how knowledgable, valid and informing, when the implication that these reasons are why the accident initially happened is, at least for me, irritating.

Let's just take away the fact that the ship hit the rocks and caused the gash. Sailing that close to land at night with limited or no port support nearby, if the ship has a mechanical problem and goes dead in the water, its a good possibility she may be grounded from the wind or sea conditions. A ship and it's passengers should never be put in that situation but stay in safe waters.

By all means, continue the news and discussions of contributing factors and how to improve communications and design and all the other things that have been brought forth on this thread...but don't for a minute think those are the reasons this event happened.

Sorry Micki, I hadnt heard of the attack on the other Embassy so I was intrigued.

It wasnt clear in the book but I got the impression that the Embassy staff involved may have been Italian nationals working for the U.S.Embassy and it seems they have a totally different culture when something happens on a holiday weekend.

Still doesnt excuse the way American subjects were treated after the trauma they had suffered.

The book did say that Australian survivers were looked after by their Ambassador. It would be interesting to hear Michelles experience with the Australian Embassy.

To me it doesn't matter who is working there. There should be standards in place for any type of emergency. Info should be gathered ASAP and passed to the Ambassador right then and procedures set in motion to assist, no matter the time of day.

Tonka, the media isn't the only joke in this country. DC ranks right up there with them. :mad: